VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Besides the broken Google ecosystem I miss how web pages used to be to the point that they were not bloated with excess of redundant features like floating bars ect. I despise how everything now days must be integrated with FB, Google, Yahoo, and Twitter ect. Remember how pages used to look only a few years ago that were designed well and were efficient that it was easy to navigate but now days everything is being setup for tablets and smart phones. The internet was never meant that some douche bag can surf with some overpriced gadget now everyone suffers like Google users (my self included). I miss that back in 2007 one barely needed a P3 to get around when now days more and more sites have gotten so bloated that one should consider a quad core cpu.... 😠

Now post your opinions/rants

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I sure as heck don't miss frames. Frames can burn in hell. Also, redundant splash/intro pages.

I really miss "mailbags". Remember those? Someone in a position of authority putting out a curated selection of comments accompanied with informed responses? What it lacked in interactivity it more than made up for in sheer quality.

Reply 4 of 41, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 90s were exciting. Went from BBS to Prodigy/AOL/etc to WWW in only a few years. It seemed smaller and more personal than now too.

But really things are the same in a lot of ways. Just more refined and with a massively larger audience. Oh and the web browser doesn't crash the whole OS hourly anymore 🤣

Reply 5 of 41, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I miss the old websites and their information that was lost when places like Geocities shut down.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

I miss the old websites and their information that was lost when places like Geocities shut down.

There are numerous backups of Geocities out there, and there's Archive.org for most other things. And even then whatever tiny percentage of that vast quantity of data is still particularly useful is probably duplicated somewhere else.

Reply 8 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
catchaserguns wrote:

There were a lot of anime sites and crazy personal web pages.

THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION
HENTAI-FREE SITE

PART OF THE ANIME MANGA WEBRING

Speaking of webrings, I'm having trouble backtracking old webrings for old sites, since the webring domains are all robots'd against archive.org 😒

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 41, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I miss the lack of spam in my eMail box. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 10 of 41, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The internet was a nicer place to be before the advent of social media.

The only thing I don't miss was Dialup connection speeds.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 11 of 41, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Forevermore wrote:

The only thing I don't miss was Dialup connection speeds.

or the times when you discovered you had forgot to disconnect and the phone line had been busy overnight or the whole day. In Europe we never had flatrate dialup internet untill very recently so the cost from making a mistake like that was also quite high!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 41, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted - with prejudice! 😜 )

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-11-02, 15:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 13 of 41, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's easy to shake your cane and whinge about kids on your lawn and the fancy-shmancy social media features you don't like, but let's be honest, the web used to be crap.

In the bad old days of "web directories" and crude search engines like AltaVista and Webcrawler, it was tough to find quality information. It wasn't always that the information wasn't out there, it was just because it either hadn't been manually submitted to the indexers, or because their result ranking was based on worthless but easy-to-implement criteria, like the number of times your words appear on a page.

Then there were frames, <MARQUEE>, <BLINK>, splash/landing pages, radically differing browser-specific HTML quirks, background auto-start MIDIs, animated GIF overload, and so on. I remember the past fondly, but to say I miss it would be plain wrong. The web is so much nicer to use now.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 14 of 41, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The main thing that I regret is the decline of various forums with the advent of the social media sites. It is one thing if all you want to do is prattle on about nothing and meaningless small talk, but they are worthless for any kind of real discussion. Social media is all too often little more than idiotic drive-by quips.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 41, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are several good points made in this thread already.

Direct links to media files as opposed to streaming services. I still remember downloading gaming videos and watching them in a media player instead of going to that place. Sure file hosting capabilities weren't high, and we sometimes had to deal with split archives that weren't directly playable, but the situation would have improved by itself over time. Today all these videos are transcoded. I recalled seeing the "Developers Developers" performance by Steve Ballmer, but had trouble finding a good copy of it, as everyone just links there.

Forums haven't disappeared yet, but they sure seem to be in the process of. As a matter of fact I was really upset about it a minute ago. All the alternatives like blogging comments, are either incredibly slow or have so radically different layout that I risk being equally off-topic trying to figure out how to post there. All the differences between IPB, vB or phpBB, punBB et al, were negligible compared to those.

Animated page elements haven't exactly gone away. I'm quite anoyed by the design elements that scroll sideways forever between 4-6 pages, and may have these little lights that indicate which page is currently shown. There is no universally obvious way to stop the scrolling if I'm not interestested in the content. They are as distracting as advertisements, which they are not. And worse than Marquee or GIFs, these use much more CPU time.

No flat rate dial-up here either. I remember when going online, I always felt under time pressure. Don't miss that, but that's off-topic.

Reply 17 of 41, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wanted to buy a trampoline for my kids the other day, a quick google found me some impartial, location specific advice and reviews, one of which included a link to a local distributor. The local distributor's site was fantastic, and within a few seconds of landing on it a "chat" dialog popped up in the bottom right and I was able to ask a question of the sales person on the other end, all real-time. I ordered, payed, and it showed up two days later at my house. That all took ~15 mins.

I f*@king love the modern internet.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I miss those days when spambots would come up with bizarre dadaist poetry in an attempt to evade heuristic algorithms. These days when they try at all, the results are just plain forgettable most of the time.

j7n wrote:

Direct links to media files as opposed to streaming services. I still remember downloading gaming videos and watching them in a media player instead of going to that place. Sure file hosting capabilities weren't high, and we sometimes had to deal with split archives that weren't directly playable, but the situation would have improved by itself over time. Today all these videos are transcoded. I recalled seeing the "Developers Developers" performance by Steve Ballmer, but had trouble finding a good copy of it, as everyone just links there.

I vastly prefer being able to click a button to watch a video rather than having to wait for it to download completely and then wrestling with whatever wacky, randomly-chosen codecs someone decided to use that day to encode it. Of course, codecs are a lot more standardized in general these days and download speeds are so fast that it's not a problem to pause a video and wait for it to buffer most of the time. I sure as heck don't miss being beholden to Quicktime or RealPlayer, that's for sure.

Reply 19 of 41, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I miss when Google was just a search engine and wasn't planning world domination.

I for one welcome our Google overlords. I cant wait for their cheap gigabit fiber project to come to Denver. $70 for unlimited 1g/1g internet? The fact its so aggressively priced is making all the other providers shake in their boots. I currently have Comcast and I'm paying $225 a month for tv & 60/10 internet. Granted their service has been flawless for years, words can't describe how fast i'd kick them to the curb when gig fiber comes to town.

As for dialup... I remember using those free aol disks. LOTS of them. I made so many fake accounts, i don't think i paid for internet access for years. I remember using this bad boy in my free geocities webpage:
137.gif

As for ads, I block most at my router. its one of the perks of using an old p3 xeon rig as a router. the ones that do get by are caught by adblock. youtube was lousy with crappy ads for a while until i installed magic actions for youtube. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mag … ecdgepllmpfceif It makes a WORLD of difference.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.