VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of upgrading my retro file server to a dual cpu system since my current 800MHz Athlon PC using the Gateway Jabil Kadoka (Slot A) Motherboard and 768MB of RAM cannot play DVDs smoothly. All I wanted this PC to do is run Windows Server 2003, play DVD's good, not skip when playing music files, and store my files, but even burning DVD discs takes up most of the cpu power. I've tried using an Nvidia Geforce 256 AGP card with 32MB VRAM and the DELL dvd decoder card from a system I scrapped, then a single Geforce2 MX400 with 64MB of VRAM. Both configurations produced green hues and unsmooth playback. This probably has to do partially with the mobo's crippled AGP 2x bus on it's AMD 750 Irongate chipset that ony runs at 1X speed. I even tried a PCI ATI Rage 128 with 16MB VRAM and DVD's played without any color problems but still skipped mostly. I found an awesome looking motherboard on Ebay called the Intel L440GX+ which supports dual Slot 1 (100MHz fsb) Pentium III's up to 850-900MHz and supports up to 2GB of RAM. I currently use VLC media player. Is this media program dual processing capable so that DVD playback runs at a theoretical 1400MHz combined speed? Or are there freeware SMP media players I can use instead?

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 4, by Forevermore

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Server 03 is a bit new to be running on that Athlon system. Especially with only 768mb of RAM, it would be very demanding on an old K7. Might want to look at a K8/P4 system with 2gb RAM if you insist on using Server 03. Win2k would be more suitable for a rig like that Athlon.

So many combinations to make, so few cases to put them in.

Reply 2 of 4, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd use W2K also. MPC-classic would play DVD's fine with an ATI AIW AGP 2X (7500?) when I had a GX dual gig (P6DGS maybe?) with a scsi Pioneer slot DVD. The memory doesn't matter if enough and you can always manually divide up affinity and one cpu shouldn't even max out with an ATI of the era. As I remember that rig was butter smooth and would rip at 4x or so and compress at 15 fps maybe, while other stuff was undisturbed. It was to loud however...

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 3 of 4, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When using the right software (perhaps that was Win9x) a PIII 500 should be able to play DVDs without much help from the video card. Of course it depends very much on the player software, if it does a lot of post processing on the CPU it's probably to much for that system. You should be able to turn post processing off, though.

Since you write that burning DVDs takes up most of the CPU power: Does the system have trouble with the bus mastering? What happens if you rip a DVD to the hard disk and play it from there?

Regarding SMP: I don't think this will help. There is certainly software for video converting/transcoding that is able to use multiple CPU cores, but I don't think you will find this for just playing DVDs. SMP was uncommon for consumer usage at that era, and playing videos is about as much "consumer" as I can imagine.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All I wanted this PC to do is run Windows Server 2003, play DVD's good, not skip when playing music files, and store my files

This is by no means something you need retro hardware for. You could probably buy a more up-to-date machine fully capable of playing DVDs and so on for the same price that you'd pay for a fancy SMP setup, and it would work a whole lot better.

If you're determined to use this computer for playing DVDs, try Geexbox – it runs from a very compact Linux distro off a bootable CD. You might need one of the older 1.x versions.

Keep in mind that a media player needs to support the decoder features of your video card if they're going to do any good. Aside from Geexbox, I think PowerDVD has good support.

computergeek92 wrote:

but even burning DVD discs takes up most of the cpu power.

It has never been a good idea to try to do anything else while burning a disc.