I know you already said you weren't interested in roguelikes, but maybe this applies more generally...
I was a bit curious about using the HX DOS extender as a method of porting Linux stuff to DOS, so I've now made a rather half-assed attempt at Cataclysm-DDA (0.C).
OK so, spoilers, yes it pretty much works. But I'm sure there are bugs lurking about, can't be this easy now can it 😁
Don't think this as a full blown port, it's more like a compilation test.
it would be a real stretch to call it playable in this form, however...
The colors and the charset are very wrong for starters, yeah that's already pretty bad for a roguelike. Also it's very slow (this may be because I used -march=i486).
Maybe some of the problems could be fixed but it doesn't look very promising.
EDIT: Yep, after some trivial fixing (added some missing initialization calls), it now looks a lot better (pretty much as it should look like in glorious ASCII).
Video modes such as 132x43 or 132x60 can also be used now (CDDA isn't very playable at 80x25).
EDIT2: It seems the slowdown was just emulation overhead. Gave this a spin in dosemu2 and it feels near native speed 😁
Qemu could also be used, but there's some problem with keyboard. Other than that, there are some obvious LFN issues.
NB: As it stands I'm unable to test this on a physical DOS machine.
For building the binaries, I used mingw32 (gcc 4.7.1) that is included in an old 13.12 version of Code::Blocks.
The patch adds a PDCurses dependency (using "wincon", PDCursesMod probably works too). It's likely that a recent version is needed.