VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MortimerInBlack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm curious as to how often the average person plays casual games these days? Like puzzle or arcade games, or facebook games, that don't have a lot of story/depth but are just a series of levels to beat/survive---maybe even riddle games? It seems like everyone I talk to in person doesn't care much for them, so I thought I'd ask here.

Note that retro games and casual games are not necessarily synonymous. There are plenty of retro games with amazing story.

An example of casual would be like this demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlU1OcWDd8A
Seems like the quintessential casual game, but it only has like 10 downloads. Are casual games dead?

As for me, I play them like 50% of the time. Of all the time I spend playing, half is on big-name games and the other half is casual stuff. Maybe that's good compared to the big brands? idk, I'm interested in your thoughts.

Reply 2 of 18, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's funny...from what I've seen over the years it seems like plain old solitaire on windows 😵 is probably one of the most popular casual games especially for most people that aren't really into games. I for one don't like card games.

Reply 3 of 18, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I play Microsoft Spider at work, Hearts and Bones on HP200LX at home. The second is more interesting though.

I have noticed people playing the same casual games for infinite amount of time. So perhaps the market is dying, not the games?

btw, haven't modern PC games become casual? Like and average PC shooter with WASD, Space, mouse wheel and LMB for controls, and the plot that does not matter at all?

Reply 4 of 18, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I allso think that original Unreal Tournament is a good example for a casual game, because Angry Birds is not casual, it is like Nintendo games, they are hard and frustrating, but if you wat to kill time, then Solitaire and simple run and kill FPS games 😁

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 18, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think of a casual game as anything I already have installed that I can dive straight into, or things where gameplay isn't important all the time.

So for me, for a five minute break or less I might fire up quake1 or 3, ut2004, heretic, jill of the jungle, pinball, minesweeper, jill of the jungle, even warcraft 1

But I might also [when I was subscribed] log into World of Warcraft and run around Orgrimmar or check the AH whatever, see who's online. The boot time for the game sometimes gets in the way of casualness of course. Another thing that kills WoW for me is the amount of content and eye candy now, which means that casual way of playing is more pressurised [tends to mean I stop subscribing] - so much to do, it's like a damn job, stops it being casual [opposite of the intent I expect].

Reply 8 of 18, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The games you describe are the only kind I still play, I just can't go through learning a million things to play a game anymore. Probably I'm getting old 😀
btw the video you posted is a Brix-like game, one my favorites back then

Reply 9 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, DOOM, Heretic, Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc. can be classified as casual games, if all you want to do is to have a short action session to have a temporary thrill as long as you just want to play a few levels as a break.

There are multutude of Pinball games too to pass the time or one of those arcade or platform or fighting DOS or Windows games.

Of course, Solitaire is a classic example.

There were many games produced by POPCap Games (which now seemed to focus on smartphones only) and the like for the PC.

Casual games are always there, and we do play them without us realizing it. It's just that the advent of smartphones have placed an emphasis on the word "casual".

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MortimerInBlack wrote:

An example of casual would be like this demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlU1OcWDd8A
Seems like the quintessential casual game, but it only has like 10 downloads.

You totally have nothing personal vested in this game, do you?

Reply 11 of 18, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Far from it, at least if you count mobile and Facebook games. If you're just talking about PC-based casual games though, they're not nearly as popular as they used to be.

Reply 12 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're on steam too, unfortunately the followers of a certain cynical brit are calling for censorship of them to reduce available consumer choices because it's not a shooter.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 18, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

They're on steam too, unfortunately the followers of a certain cynical brit are calling for censorship of them to reduce available consumer choices because it's not a shooter.

ZeroPunctuation? I thought he was from Australia. 😜

Reply 14 of 18, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

ZeroPunctuation? I thought he was from Australia. :P

I think she means this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 15 of 18, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

ZeroPunctuation? I thought he was from Australia. 😜

I think she means this guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut

Ah. Thanks 😉

Reply 16 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, those young self-proclaimed members of the "pc master race" tend to be the whiniest and fussiest of the bunch, spoiled by emulaiton, and percieving older video games as something without any value.

Harvester just came to steam. Guess what half of the threads are about?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 18, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow I just went and checked myself, what a gold mine.

Also I never considered FPS games, even the old ones to be "Casual". Certainly not Gunmetal given the asshole placement of secrets and enemies in that game, plus it has a plot told primarily through text but still a plot.

Speaking of causal games... Aren't most of that shovelware just constant clones of something that was already "tried and true" like Bejeweled and Tetris?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 18 of 18, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Wow I just went and checked myself, what a gold mine.

Also I never considered FPS games, even the old ones to be "Casual". Certainly not Gunmetal given the asshole placement of secrets and enemies in that game, plus it has a plot told primarily through text but still a plot.

Speaking of causal games... Aren't most of that shovelware just constant clones of something that was already "tried and true" like Bejeweled and Tetris?

I wouldn't say most arcade games are casual either- You can usually play a fighter not knowing too much but dominating it will take years of dedication

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png