VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-wi … patch,9598.html

Nice and wonder how long the spooks have been taking advantage of this?

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Misleading

ntvdm bug != dos bug != Windows 3.11

You would be surprised what still runs Windows 3.11. It wasn't that long ago that cash machines were still running it, so Microsoft had to keep it up to date for their bank customers so the ATM's couldn't be hacked. They made the updates available to their commercial customers, but not accessible to the rest of us who might like to update our ancient PC's.

Reply 6 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a lot of atms use Windows (a lot use Windows XP)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 13, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember reading years ago when they discontinued OS/2 that some ATMs in Europe were using it

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 8 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, very likely. Banks were fond of OS/2 coupled with Windows 3.x. At least when I worked for a big German one 15 years ago 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 13, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

Why would ATM's use a windows OS?

ATM's, credit card readers in stores, etc... MANY of them use an embedded version of Windows XP.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 10 of 13, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I personally have seen a Windows desktop on an ATM screen along with an error message box. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 11 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:

Volume licensing discount. The company gets a better price on an OS for all of their hardware when they get it all from one source and they get the guaranteed support and service they need from Microsoft that they wouldn't get with Linux. When you are national or global company with 10's of thousands of computers and other devices, the discount is significant and you can't afford to have techs stumbling blindly in the dark if some other OS crashes because time is money. Going with Windows means your problems get fixed quickly.

Reply 12 of 13, by redblade7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:
DracoNihil wrote:

I personally have seen a Windows desktop on an ATM screen along with an error message box. 😜

I remember once during the "Messenger Spam" era, the old analog cable TV listings channel was replaced with a Windows desktop with a Messenger popup and the classical music still playing 🤣

-redblade7

Rogue Central @ coredumpcentral.org

Reply 13 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
redblade7 wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:
DracoNihil wrote:

I personally have seen a Windows desktop on an ATM screen along with an error message box. 😜

I remember once during the "Messenger Spam" era, the old analog cable TV listings channel was replaced with a Windows desktop with a Messenger popup and the classical music still playing 🤣

My cable system used an Amiga with a Video Toaster for the public access channel, the channel guide, emergency messages and things like that.