VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 84, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At this budget, I wouldn't consider Intel. An APU wouldn't really be a significant upgrade to your current setup either.
Going with a second hand Phenom II x6 is not a bad idea if the price is right though. The FX 6300 however is priced quite decently (in Greece it is only 96 euro, I've been thinking about getting one too! 😀 ) and I think Piledriver has managed to beat the Phenom II clock for clock.

If you were willing to spend more money, I would have probably directed you to Intel. However, they just can't beat AMD's price/performance ratio at these prices. I don't believe you'll be disappointed with an FX 6300 and Intel CPUs aren't really going to make a big difference in most stuff (let alone games). Are you really going to care if you're getting 55fps instead of 65fps? That's for you to decide.

It's truly a shame AMD did not release any Steamroller CPUs for AM3+. I would have gotten one in a heartbeat. The combination of newer instruction sets that I can use in stuff like PCSX2 and better singlethreaded performance would have sold one to me.

Reply 21 of 84, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
simbin wrote:

I think my onboard SATA is going - Don't want to get caught dead in the water
6 port SATA PCI adapter costs too much

"Is going" based on what? (usually parts don't "half break" they just die)

While newest Crysis and Battlefield games need a little tweaking, everything else runs max 1080p on this rig

Which is what I would expect; performance shouldn't be a huge problem. If you think the motherboard is having problems though, why not just swap boards and keep everything else? Shouldn't cost more than ~$100 and the time to rebuild + reload Windows. 😀

An APU would be neat if you want to play around with it, but the 6850 is going to better even the 7850k's GPU capabilities.

Reply 22 of 84, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a AsRock 990fx extreme4 for my main rig. It came with a 2 year warranty, has ide, floppy, usb 3.0 and sata 6gps. Zero problems and I can recommend it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 23 of 84, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Going with a second hand Phenom II x6 is not a bad idea if the price is right though.

I checked eBay and they're averaging $140 YIKES!

I should also note; this CPU has been unlocked to run all 4 CPU cores, with a modest overclock. A nice performance boost over the stock dual unit.

Keeping it nice n cool with this...
ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD, Multi-Directional Mount, 92mm PWM Fan

obobskivich wrote:

"Is going" based on what? (usually parts don't "half break" they just die)

If you think the motherboard is having problems though, why not just swap boards and keep everything else? Shouldn't cost more than ~$100 and the time to rebuild + reload Windows. 😀

I'm not 100% sure. Had issues with many hdisks lately. Read/writes slow to crawl, then drive drops completely. Also feels like low IO bottleneck sometimes. Backup data on another PC and wipe w/o problem. Checked cables ok. Keep backups, but still a hassle ?? mobo ?? coincidence ??

I thought about swapping the board but I'd like to keep something running 24/7. Why I'm thinking preemptively.

ODwilly wrote:

I bought a AsRock 990fx extreme4 for my main rig. It came with a 2 year warranty, has ide, floppy, usb 3.0 and sata 6gps. Zero problems and I can recommend it.

I just noticed some have 3/2/1 yr warranties.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback - A lot of good advice here 😀

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 24 of 84, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are on 7 right? This sounds a lot like the old PIO fallback issue from XP. Do you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS?

I'd consider getting a SSD instead of anything else anyway because this is the upgrade you are most likely to "feel". I know I won't be going back to HDDs since I got my 840 EVO.

Speaking of SSDs, I've heard that the AMD AHCI driver doesn't support TRIM on platforms older than 8xx. But msahci is fine apparently.

Reply 25 of 84, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

You are on 7 right? This sounds a lot like the old PIO fallback issue from XP. Do you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS?

I'd consider getting a SSD instead of anything else anyway because this is the upgrade you are most likely to "feel". I know I won't be going back to HDDs since I got my 840 EVO.

Speaking of SSDs, I've heard that the AMD AHCI driver doesn't support TRIM on platforms older than 8xx. But msahci is fine apparently.

It's funny you should mention AHCI... I was just read something about this and as it turns out, I think I've been running regular ATA all these years. I'm running Windows 7 - so from what I can tell... I need to change some registry settings, reboot - change BIOS and cross my fingers.

EDIT: Yep, "Native IDE" set in BIOS. Looks like last two ports will stay IDE only - have to move my optical drives around.

SUCCESS! Made the change and nothing blew up! 😜 HD TACH is showing almost identical performance, although boot seemed a tiny bit faster. Cables were already in the right place for optical drives.

Just using the stock msahci driver. Will keep an eye on things.

Reply 26 of 84, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got looking at Intel stuff again. Does this budget mobo look good if I don't plan on overclocking?

AsRock Z75 Pro3

Reply 27 of 84, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would go with an AMD Fusion setup. For $300 you'd most likely get a faster CPU and video card than you could if you went with dedicated video and you can do the hybrid Crossfire thing later if you do add a dedicated video card.

Reply 28 of 84, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
simbin wrote:

I'm not 100% sure. Had issues with many hdisks lately. Read/writes slow to crawl, then drive drops completely. Also feels like low IO bottleneck sometimes. Backup data on another PC and wipe w/o problem. Checked cables ok. Keep backups, but still a hassle ?? mobo ?? coincidence ??

I thought about swapping the board but I'd like to keep something running 24/7. Why I'm thinking preemptively.

Like was suggested elsewise, I'd look at BIOS/registry settings and/or the drives themselves - mechanical drives DO break down as they wear over time (you try spinning at 7000 RPM for a few years and see how you like it 🤣).

Did changing settings fix your concern/problems or nay? Can you try the drives in another box?

It's also worth noting that some older SATA controllers (especially if they're those cheapo Silicon Image add-on ones, 3114 seems to be most popular but it isn't the only one) will not touch full bandwidth (not that any hard-drive generally can either, but in some cases the controllers will bottleneck what a decent drive can do).

Anyways, as far as replacement and drives:

- Honestly I'm gonna go against the grain and not suggest an SSD. All the thing is really gonna do is let Windows start-up faster (and honestly, this benefits you why? not to mention that there are many other factors that can and do influence start-up), and SOME applications will LOAD faster, but it will not help them RUN faster.

I actually do have an SSD in a system (I have an Ultrabook that has a 128GB model; and I'll pause here and say that for mobile computers, SSDs are great - they make them more durable, improve battery life, etc but most of those things don't matter when you're hooking into a 500-1kW DC power supply in a stationary tower) - it pretty much follows that trend: Windows 7 can restart in ~20seconds as opposed to the ~minute-two that my desktops take, but the Ultrabook isn't doing a memory check, isn't starting up an add-in graphics card, isn't checking for netboot, isn't waiting for optical drives to spin up and check, etc (and if I removed all of that from my desktops, they'd start up pretty speedy too). Running applications is still handicapped by the relatively low performance ULV parts; games may open quickly, but they don't run flawlessly because it's still hung by the Intel IGP and such. If you really need the machine to start-up near instantly, Windows has provided avenues for this like System Hiberation and Suspend states for years; my XP equipped Pentium 4 can cycle in and out of "Sleep" as fast as my Ultrabook can start-up, and it uses an old (~2005) mechanical hard drive and has very low buzzword compliance these days. 😀

Anandtech did a fantastic job covering this before the fad overtook journalistic integrity, which I'm (unsurprisingly) having trouble finding at the moment. The short version was that games, high-demand applications like Photoshop, etc really don't benefit from the SSD aside from their start-up times (which really doesn't do anything about anything, but it certainly looks REALLY GOOD in a brochure). Most of the start-up time improvements can be achieved with Microsoft ReadyBoost or one of the third-party equivalents.

Having said all of that, if you ARE going to get an SSD, I subscribe to the philosophy of "go big or go home" - so I'd say get a PCIe model and let it ride! 😎 (and seriously if you haven't kept up with it, they're getting cost competitive with the SATA models as long as capacity isn't a huge deal for you - personally I don't ever use that much space on a hard-drive, so 200GB or 2000GB makes no difference to me)

- As far as the "must be on 24x7" thing, I think it'll come down to whether or not you can afford to do that - is your application that mission critical, that you can't have the machine offline for a few hours, or is saving the money more worthwhile? The most cost effective solution here is probably to upgrade your existing setup, not to replace everything. But if you can't afford to go offline, that's a limitation you have to work within. I'm not trying to argue either way here - you know your situation and what your requirements are.

- The ASRock board you linked looks nice; how much do they want for it? Also something I thought of since you've mentioned Intel, some of the Core i3 and Pentium dual-core chips will provide VERY low TDPs (20-40W; that's like a Pentium 3) and can result in a very quiet and cool running system. I know, dual-cores but it won't really affect gaming too much, especially if you aren't running the very latest titles (I'm not aware of any title that requires >2 cores; many don't even "require" a dual-core, it's just that real-world single-core CPUs tend to be pretty dated), and the IPC should be higher than your AMD too. Yes, you will be trading a little bit of performance (relative to an i5 or AMD FX) for efficiency, and you should weigh that, but I figured it was worth mentioning - pricewise it shouldn't be much different (if you go with a Pentium it'll actually be cheaper; some of those are really affordable).

sliderider wrote:

I would go with an AMD Fusion setup. For $300 you'd most likely get a faster CPU and video card than you could if you went with dedicated video and you can do the hybrid Crossfire thing later if you do add a dedicated video card.

There is nothing available from Intel or AMD on APUs that will challenge, let alone out-perform, a Radeon HD 6850. The top AMD APU, the 7850k, has a low-end GCN part with very limited memory bandwidth (since it uses system memory); compared to Intel IGPs and past-generation AMD APUs it is very effective, but not against a high-end PCIe graphics card with dedicated memory.

Hybrid CrossFire will not work between an APU and a Radeon HD 6850 either - it only works with certain GCN parts, which are themselves relatively low performance, and in general it results in bottlenecks because of the memory bandwidth limitations the APU has to live with (and this has been true of Hybrid CrossFire and Hybrid SLI since the beginning). Here's a review of the APU:
http://www.overclockers.com/amd-a107850k-kaveri-apu-review/

And note that's a $200 chip that would absolutely require a new motherboard, and leave little money for any other upgrades or parts within a $300 budget. The cheaper models will have much slower GPU performance (some of them are compared in there) as a trade-off.

The only advantage I can see for an APU in a system with a discrete card is additional OpenCL capabilities - since you would now have the CPU, the IGP, and the GPU available as OpenCL devices. But unless you have an application that actually relies on OpenCL, the extra power used by the IGP will be for naught and will serve to do little but generate waste heat. You can get similar AMD CPUs sans IGP for lower prices, and they tend to be very competent performers for the money. 😀

Reply 29 of 84, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

Like was suggested elsewise, I'd look at BIOS/registry settings and/or the drives themselves - mechanical drives DO break down as they wear over time (you try spinning at 7000 RPM for a few years and see how you like it 🤣).

Did changing settings fix your concern/problems or nay? Can you try the drives in another box?

I haven't noticed any real difference since switching to AHCI. I replaced all moving parts in January (hard drives included). The symptoms I described before happened with one old drive and two new ones - coincidence? I've only experienced minor hangs/bottlenecks on large file transfers since then.

obobskivich wrote:

Honestly I'm gonna go against the grain and not suggest an SSD.

I'm not sold on SSD either. I like to get about 5 years out of my hardware. I do heavy amounts of reads/writes so SSD probably wouldn't last long for me. Because of cost, I'd have to sacrifice a SATA port for speed over capacity.

obobskivich wrote:

As far as the "must be on 24x7" thing, I think it'll come down to whether or not you can afford to do that - is your application that mission critical, that you can't have the machine offline for a few hours, or is saving the money more worthwhile? The most cost effective solution here is probably to upgrade your existing setup, not to replace everything. But if you can't afford to go offline, that's a limitation you have to work within. I'm not trying to argue either way here - you know your situation and what your requirements are.

Basically, I am upgrading. At minimum, I only need a CPU and motherboard to start building. I'd move my current graphics card and drives over once I was happy with everything. I like to take my time - a few weeks probably; back and forth, checking all my settings.

obobskivich wrote:

The ASRock board you linked looks nice; how much do they want for it? Also something I thought of since you've mentioned Intel, some of the Core i3 and Pentium dual-core chips will provide VERY low TDPs

ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $75
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80637E31230V2

Some might say Xeon's are for servers/workstations, but I've built a few Xeon "work"stations for gaming.

Only drawbacks I can see are locked clock speeds, no built-in GPU and no ECC support (motherboard), but none of those are a problem for me. I could get a i5 for that price, but I'd rather have more threads.

I'm still mulling it all over; processing everyone's advice, thank you!

Reply 30 of 84, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Having said all of that, if you ARE going to get an SSD, I subscribe to the philosophy of "go big or go home" - so I'd say get a PCIe model and let it ride! 😎 (and seriously if you haven't kept up with it, they're getting cost competitive with the SATA models as long as capacity isn't a huge deal for you - personally I don't ever use that much space on a hard-drive, so 200GB or 2000GB makes no difference to me)

Um, when and where? Had a look at amazon.com and the first model that comes up is the OCZ RevoDrive 3. $354.99 for 120 GB. With the Samsung 840 EVO it's $139.99 for 250 GB.

Reply 31 of 84, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ASRock looks nice for $75, but I haven't intensively comparison shopped for an LGA 1155 system (so you may want to, like, check what Gigabyte or Asus or Biostar or whatever is offering for $75 too).

On the Xeon, no problem using them for "consumer" machines (there's really no difference under the hood; it isn't like we're talking Itanium or SPARC here); price-wise the 1230 isn't any better or worse than the i5 3550 (technically the 3550 is $5 cheaper, whoop-de-do). I'd probably agree with getting HTT over an IGP that you won't use; but I doubt either will do a whole lot for gaming (HTT, at least historically, tends to help multimedia applications though).

If you wanted to go with AMD, you could go with a much more bonkers motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813157479
And FX CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16819113285

CPU World comparison with the FX and Intel 3550 (similar/same as Xeon 1230):
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/364/AMD_FX-S … i5_i5-3550.html

The primary advantage would really be with the motherboard offering more PCIe slots and OC'ing options. Pricing you're still around $300 either way; your existing memory and 6850 should be fine to switch over. I'm honestly doubting you will notice much of anything for gaming with either setup (if you aren't having performance hang-ups now, and realizing that most games are hung by GPU performance - upgrading to a newer Radeon or GeForce card would be a bigger kick there), but I figure if you're gonna do it, go big or go home. 😎

If you could push a little bit (~$80) more out of your budget, you could go really nutter-butters:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813157358
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16819113347

You know, because everyone needs a 5GHz octo-core... 🤣

d1stortion wrote:

Um, when and where? Had a look at amazon.com and the first model that comes up is the OCZ RevoDrive 3. $354.99 for 120 GB. With the Samsung 840 EVO it's $139.99 for 250 GB.

Plextor, AsusTek, and others. Various retailers. 😀

Linkage:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16820249042
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16820785002

The pricing you found for the OCZ seems high too; Newegg was running them for $279, but they're OOS (and may never come back; remember that OCZ recently ate it and was split apart - I haven't followed what's going on with their memory/storage division 😊).

A quality internal SSD is $100-$200; like a Samsung 840 Pro ($209) or Intel 530 ($189). PCIe models are coming in at $200-$300 and offering better performance; I never said "1:1 pricing" - just that it's competitive (an extra ~$100 for nearly double the throughput seems reasonable - it isn't like a year or two ago when a PCIe card was multiple thousands of dollars to start), especially if you can live with 128GB (which is right there at the $200 mark).

On a $300 upgrade budget I wouldn't touch any of these - slight improvements to application start-up time and Windows load times (both of which can be influenced/improved via other means, and neither of which actually tend to affect compute performance) don't seem worthwhile imho. The CPU/motherboard combo is a more reasonable place to begin imho - graphics card and memory after that, PSU if needed, and *then* disks. And if I were going to go with an SSD on top of that, I'd go with a PCIe module unless capacity is more important than speed (in which case you can get a 4TB drive for the same $200-ish).

Reply 32 of 84, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, fair enough. I only looked at the first results page for "PCIe SSD", figuring that they would place popular items first, but it seems like that's not the case (at least I can't imagine why such an unreasonably priced offer would be popular) 😀

Reply 33 of 84, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

Well, fair enough. I only looked at the first results page for "PCIe SSD", figuring that they would place popular items first, but it seems like that's not the case (at least I can't imagine why such an unreasonably priced offer would be popular) 😀

I think Amazon's search thing is starting to go the way of Google - "most relevant first" and "relevance" is determined by some unknown set of heuristics (in some cases I think scrying entrails has to be more efficient though). 😵

It's also entirely possible that the OCZ drives are becoming an extinct species, and folks are trying to snap them up before they're gone - I honestly don't know if that's the case; I know that the PSU division is going to continue on as "FirePower Technology" but that's all I've kept tabs on (and ostensibly we can expect Fatal1ty branded PC Power/"OCZ" parts in the future 🤣).

Reply 34 of 84, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

The ASRock looks nice for $75, but I haven't intensively comparison shopped for an LGA 1155 system (so you may want to, like, check what Gigabyte or Asus or Biostar or whatever is offering for $75 too).

Doing more research on that board has me a bit nervous. Numerous reviews mention PCie, BIOS, onboard audio failures after mere months of use. I'm a huge Gigabyte fan (no gripes with Asus or Biostar either), but I couldn't find anything comparable at that price point. I'm really scraping the barrel here. heh

obobskivich wrote:

On the Xeon, no problem using them for "consumer" machines (there's really no difference under the hood; it isn't like we're talking Itanium or SPARC here); price-wise the 1230 isn't any better or worse than the i5 3550 (technically the 3550 is $5 cheaper, whoop-de-do). I'd probably agree with getting HTT over an IGP that you won't use; but I doubt either will do a whole lot for gaming (HTT, at least historically, tends to help multimedia applications though).

I do everything on my PC, including gaming. While I don't use a lot of apps that are specifically designed for multi threading, most of them scale rather nicely across multiple threads. I noticed a significant bump in overall performance when I unlocked all four cores on my current CPU. I always have a lot of multitasking going on and emulators eat it up 😀

obobskivich wrote:

You know, because everyone needs a 5GHz octo-core... 🤣

I like the way you think! heh

I'll have a look at those links. Thanks for taking the time to share your expert advice, I really appreciate it.

Reply 35 of 84, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:
If you wanted to go with AMD, you could go with a much more bonkers motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … […]
Show full quote

If you wanted to go with AMD, you could go with a much more bonkers motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813157479
And FX CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16819113285

It wasn't until I tried making Intel work into my $300 budget that it occurred to me, "Hey, I can just 'borrow' some RAM to set everything up!"

Does the AsRock Fatal1ty have any real advantage over this Gigabyte board?
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
I've zero experience with AsRock, while I've never had issues with Gigabyte (knock on wood). Also, not a biggie, but my second TV tuner is PCI. Guess I'm still losing IDE/Floppy, but I'll make do.

obobskivich wrote:

CPU World comparison with the FX and Intel 3550 (similar/same as Xeon 1230):
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/364/AMD_FX-S … i5_i5-3550.html

The primary advantage would really be with the motherboard offering more PCIe slots and OC'ing options. Pricing you're still around $300 either way; your existing memory and 6850 should be fine to switch over. I'm honestly doubting you will notice much of anything for gaming with either setup (if you aren't having performance hang-ups now, and realizing that most games are hung by GPU performance - upgrading to a newer Radeon or GeForce card would be a bigger kick there), but I figure if you're gonna do it, go big or go home. 😎

While "Xeon" still sounds cooler, this looks like a better build, as it would give me more room to grow. I'll probably upgrade my GPU in the next 6 mo-1 yr. I mainly want to begin transitioning from 5 yr old hardware.

Going by this, the Xeon barely outperforms the FX, nothing a minor overclock couldn't fix. I do appreciate the lower power usage of the Xeon however.

obobskivich wrote:

If you could push a little bit (~$80) more out of your budget, you could go really nutter-butters:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16813157358
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16819113347

The first combo seems to offer a better cost to performance ratio.

Reply 36 of 84, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
simbin wrote:

Doing more research on that board has me a bit nervous. Numerous reviews mention PCie, BIOS, onboard audio failures after mere months of use. I'm a huge Gigabyte fan (no gripes with Asus or Biostar either), but I couldn't find anything comparable at that price point. I'm really scraping the barrel here. heh

Yikes. 😵

Welp - guess it's true that everyone eventually makes a dud. 😲

I do everything on my PC, including gaming. While I don't use a lot of apps that are specifically designed for multi threading, most of them scale rather nicely across multiple threads. I noticed a significant bump in overall performance when I unlocked all four cores on my current CPU. I always have a lot of multitasking going on and emulators eat it up 😀

SMT and SMP aren't the same thing - SMT (HyperThreading) came about years ago as Intel attempted to squeeze more performance out of NetBurst; for gaming it usually did nothing (in some cases it hurt). Where it tended to help was with multimedia encoding and decoding, and some other stuff like that. I honestly would not expect huge differences between the Xeon and the i5, but the Xeon gives you the option of HTT, while the i5 doesn't, and for the same price I'd go with it just for the heck of it.

Here's a Lynnfield comparison of HT and non-HT (figure it's better than looking at Prescott, 🤣):
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09 … d-cpu-review/10

simbin wrote:

Does the AsRock Fatal1ty have any real advantage over this Gigabyte board?
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
I've zero experience with AsRock, while I've never had issues with Gigabyte (knock on wood). Also, not a biggie, but my second TV tuner is PCI. Guess I'm still losing IDE/Floppy, but I'll make do.

Pretty sure you're gonna lose PATA and Floppy no matter where you go - PATA drives haven't been made in a while, and who uses floppies? 😜

My advice on that: maintain an older-ish machine that supports floppy, and let PATA rot.

As far as that Gigabyte vs the Fatal1ty, from what I can see:

- Fatal1ty will support more RAM, faster RAM via OC'ing, has potentially better onboard audio and NIC, more USB 3 ports, two PS/2 ports, better spacing for multi-GPU
- Gigabyte has more USB2.0 headers, an extra eSATA port, PCI, and costs a few bucks less

Should be pretty comparable. 😀

While "Xeon" still sounds cooler, this looks like a better build, as it would give me more room to grow. I'll probably upgrade my GPU in the next 6 mo-1 yr. I mainly want to begin transitioning from 5 yr old hardware.

I don't think there's anything wrong with 6850 unless you need more performance (that is, it supports DX11, it isn't a fry cooker, etc) - I'd say wait out Maxwell and see what nVidia has; power efficiency is supposed to be improving. You might also look at used cards from a generation or two ago, in some cases you can get some great deals.

The first combo seems to offer a better cost to performance ratio.

In general modern CPUs are pretty well "set" for most usage, and the uber models tend to not offer a whole ton for their price - last I knew though the FX-9500 series was trading blows with the $1k-club from Intel, while costing much less. Figured it was worth mentioning, but the FX-8300 series should be much better in terms of price:performance.

Reply 38 of 84, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

The FX-9590 may well become a collectible. As it stands right now this is the last/best high-end CPU from AMD.

Well QuadFX commands relatively high prices as-used, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Also doubles as a nice room heater 😀

slash hotplate 🤣

Reply 39 of 84, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

Pretty sure you're gonna lose PATA and Floppy no matter where you go - PATA drives haven't been made in a while, and who uses floppies? 😜

Did you seriously ask who uses floppies on the vogons forums!? HahaHaha!!