VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yo, I have this fairly recent Core2Duo machine set up for a lot of uses. It has 2 HDDs and 4 partitions. One partition hosts Windows XP, another Windows 7 and another Kali Linux and I have GRUB set up to manage all of these easily. Selecting Windows XP is done through the Windows 7 Boot Loader. This used to work fine, until I had to change my GPU. Since then, Windows XP does not want to boot, it reboots the entire system immediately after selection. Safe mode has the same results too.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with GPU drivers (previous card was 8800GTX 512, now a Radeon 4830). How can I force WinXP to "forget" what GPU I have installed? I believe that if I force it to use its fallback VGA driver, everything will smoothly. However, if that doesn't work, how can I reinstall Windows XP without causing the rest of the bootloaders to go nuts?

Reply 1 of 6, by intel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you try to put the Nvidia video card back in to the system, than boot in to XP. If successfully remove all the nvidia drivers and remove the card from the device manager. Than swap the video cards and try to boot in to XP with your ATI card.

Reply 3 of 6, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use "Enable VGA mode" in the F8 menu.
I had a similar problem after I have replaced my Radeon HD2600 to Rage 128 Pro (to boot WinME) and forgot to uninstall Catalyst and to lower desktop resolution/frequency. As the result - black screen with the "wrong wideo mode" message from the LCD.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).