VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I've been searching for information about the Vooodoo1 in DOS and compatible games.
I want to run Blood, so what I did is install glide2x.ovl in the game directory and then run blood.exe.
Is that all to it? I don't see any difference in performance or graphics.
From what I gathered the only thing you have to do is copy glide2x.ovl to the games directory right?
That patches are to be only used in W95-98 or Voodoo2?

pd: I have no Windows installed.

Reply 1 of 4, by truth_deleted

User metadata

You may verify that your version of glide2x.ovl is compatible by trying an older version. But first obtain the 3dfx patch for Blood and test whether it works: http://dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/downloads- … m/blood-patchs/

For example, this is one of the patches at that site for a common version of Blood: http://dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/downloads- … atchs/r0020.exe

Reply 2 of 4, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:
Hi guys, I've been searching for information about the Vooodoo1 in DOS and compatible games. I want to run Blood, so what I did […]
Show full quote

Hi guys, I've been searching for information about the Vooodoo1 in DOS and compatible games.
I want to run Blood, so what I did is install glide2x.ovl in the game directory and then run blood.exe.
Is that all to it? I don't see any difference in performance or graphics.
From what I gathered the only thing you have to do is copy glide2x.ovl to the games directory right?
That patches are to be only used in W95-98 or Voodoo2?

pd: I have no Windows installed.

For people Googling this, this subject has been taken up before. If you don't have Windows installed you need the glide2x.ovl copied to the game directory (or use PATH in autoexec.bat) for the dynamically linked games. The static linked games should work with no issues with a Voodoo 1 and with a Voodoo2 just requires some environment variables to be loaded. The copying of glide2x.ovl is not necessary if you have installed the Windows drivers as they will take care of this for you making playing dynamically linked DOS Glide games more of a breeze.

Now, over to your specific problem/question:

Only games that came with 3DFX support in retail release will support what you're suggesting. You can't just add the glide2x.ovl to a game directory and expect it to work with a game that is unpatched for 3DFX support, like Blood. You first need to install the 3DFX patch and then you can copy the glide2x.ovl. Also some games like EF2000 and Nascar Racing 2 have installers that requires Windows for the 3DFX patch even though they run in DOS.

Not that many DOS games came with 3DFX support in their initial retail release (13 out of 32 not counting OEM releases). Check this DOS compatibility list I made for Voodoo2, the PATCH column is viable for Voodoo 1 users as well.

Last edited by vetz on 2014-05-08, 07:28. Edited 2 times in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 4, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

Thanx a lot vetz for making it clear. I still had a lot of doubts after reading many posts.
I guess having W95 really helps taking advantage of 3dfx

No problem 😀

Since most games with 3DFX and Direct3D support were Windows games you're certainly limiting the use of your card by not having Windows installed. It also makes running Glide supported DOS games more cumbersome. I can understand users not wanting Windows on their DOS only machines, but then I think you should prioritize your 3DFX card in a Windows machine (unless you have plenty and can have one in each retro system of yours 😉 )

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes