VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A story has been making the rounds the past few days that Adblockers, in particular AdBlock Plus, may - counter-intuitively - actually gobble up your memory and CPU cycles:

Mozilla's Nick Nethercote got the ball rolling:

Nick Nethercote wrote:

AdBlock Plus (ABP) is the most popular add-on for Firefox. AMO says that it has almost 19 million users, which is almost triple the number of the second most popular add-on. I have happily used it myself for years — whenever I use a browser that doesn’t have an ad blocker installed I’m always horrified by the number of ads there are on the web.

But we recently learned that ABP can greatly increase the amount of memory used by Firefox.

First, there’s a constant overhead just from enabling ABP of something like 60–70 MiB. (This is on 64-bit builds; on 32-bit builds the number is probably a bit smaller.) This appears to be mostly due to additional JavaScript memory usage, though there’s also some due to extra layout memory....

The whole thing is here.

The Adblock Plus developers have responded:

...Now, there are really two very different issues mentioned there. One is caused by very non-obvious behavior in Firefox: while Adblock Plus registers a single stylesheet for its element hiding feature, what happens behind the scenes is Firefox creating a new copy of it for each page being loaded (bug 988266). The memory consumption of all these copies can be very significant, like the 2 GB mentioned above for an edge case....The other issue is the memory consumption of the data structures created by Adblock Plus itself, these are mostly required in order to manage and apply its filters. Current filter lists for Adblock Plus have around 50 thousand filters which (along with supplemental data like filter hits) require around 60 MB of memory. Clearly, that data is stored in a less than optimal way but apparently that’s hard to avoid when working with complicated JavaScript objects.

Full thing here.

The same principle applies to Chrome. I have to say, while I easily buy the memory usage scenarios, the part about CPU cycles I find a bit more perplexing. I've seen what the modern web looks like on an old machine with and without Adblock and there's just no comparison. I'm a bit surprised that something that's supposedly stressing the system more would make pages load smoother.

Of course if you really want to see something painful, load IE7 or 8 with its ancient JavaScript renderer onto an old computer and may the hourglass be with you. (Ironically, IE's "Tracking Protection List" filtering doesn't actually seem to eat memory...)

Reply 1 of 30, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They can gobble all the resouces they want as long as it doesn't interfere with anything I want to do. I haven't noticed any issues in all my years using them (I haven't used firefox heavily for years now).

Nice try ad industry. I'll keep up the good fight.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 30, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A solution would be implementing Adblock as a proxy/firewall (as it is done on Adblock Plus for Android).

That should save the memory required for the stylesheet, but not the memory required for the database itself. Also it would be more difficult for the user to add new unwanted objects, because it wouldn't be possible to do from the browser itself (like when you press Ctrl+Alt+V on Firefox).

Also note that the excerpts you've published says that Firefox has a bug related to stylesheets (that would increase the memory used when opening tabs), maybe Chrome would only need enough memory for one stylesheet and the database.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 30, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:

I'm a big fan of adblocking through the hosts file. Fast and simple. 😀

+1. Runs quite lean on every system I've ever deployed it on, and it doesn't matter what browser, what utility, etc is running either. And none of the concerns about Adblock Plus allowing "premium advertisers" to buy their way through. 😒 Ghostery is another nice utility that doesn't heavily load anything down or, at least currently, let advertisers pay-to-play. 😀

Reply 6 of 30, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am experimenting with NoScript since 2013, together with FlashBlock. Currently this seems to prevent adds as well.
But if I would install NoScript with "do not enable Javascript in general" for other users, I would get a lot of complaints for sure.
Because it requires manual selection of what and when to allow...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 30, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EverythingOldIsNewAgain wrote:

Bad news: Adblockers in Firefox & Chrome may gobble system resources

Not more than pop-ups.
I'm not against ads, I just wish they could ALWAYS open in a new tab so I can read them later and, if they're interesting or convenient, give them the proper attention. Or read them much, much later, since if it's in a tab it won't close (unless I do, I use Firefox)

Reply 9 of 30, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
obobskivich wrote:
Firtasik wrote:

I'm a big fan of adblocking through the hosts file. Fast and simple. 😀

+1. Runs quite lean on every system I've ever deployed it on, and it doesn't matter what browser, what utility, etc is running either. And none of the concerns about Adblock Plus allowing "premium advertisers" to buy their way through. 😒 Ghostery is another nice utility that doesn't heavily load anything down or, at least currently, let advertisers pay-to-play. 😀

+2. Host file is indeed fast an simple. Just have to add domain filtering at the router level for the really stubborn ad sites, and I'm done. Not one gets through without my say so 😏 - and if websites stop working or go offline permanently because of this, well too bad so sad 😈

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 30, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

A solution would be implementing Adblock as a proxy/firewall (as it is done on Adblock Plus for Android).

As available through AdMuncher: http://www.admuncher.com/.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 11 of 30, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

A few mega bytes of RAM usage is nothing on newer computers. In reality most run 8GB of RAM now.

+1. Some brand-new models I've seen recently are coming with 16GB now. What's 80MB to that? 🤣

Reply 13 of 30, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried different AdBlockers a few years ago... and didn't like the CPU and memory overhead so I stopped using them - so this "system resource gobble" isn't something new. Now I only use NoScript.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 14 of 30, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the better question is: Why do I need 8GB of memory and a 3GHz multicore CPU just to get on the web?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 15 of 30, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I think the better question is: Why do I need 8GB of memory and a 3GHz multicore CPU just to get on the web?

Ask modern web developers/publishers (and/or Adobe); they're the ones that've pushed outrageously heavy multimedia content as the "standard" for relaying fairly basic levels of information. 😵

Reply 16 of 30, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Ask modern web developers/publishers (and/or Adobe); they're the ones that've pushed outrageously heavy multimedia content as the "standard" for relaying fairly basic levels of information. 😵

What next a full spec IBM Power 8, 128gb ram, massive SSD aray, and much more just to surf the web? I hope not, graphics isn't everything and despise web 2.0 and 3.0.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 17 of 30, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Adblockers use system recources? No shit, using resources is what software commonly does, thanks Mozilla for supplying this useless information.
I have another one for those, antivirus programs also eat away memory and cpu cycles but that doesn't stop me from using it.

This statement makes no sense at all and is clearly born out of selfinterest because they are somehow under pressure from advertisers.
I wouldn't be too surprised Mozilla will make adblockers incompatible plugins in the future same like Google did for Chrome.

Reply 18 of 30, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Procyon wrote:
Adblockers use system recources? No shit, using resources is what software commonly does, thanks Mozilla for supplying this usel […]
Show full quote

Adblockers use system recources? No shit, using resources is what software commonly does, thanks Mozilla for supplying this useless information.
I have another one for those, antivirus programs also eat away memory and cpu cycles but that doesn't stop me from using it.

This statement makes no sense at all and is clearly born out of selfinterest because they are somehow under pressure from advertisers.
I wouldn't be too surprised Mozilla will make adblockers incompatible plugins in the future same like Google did for Chrome.

While I agree there is self-interest involved, both from advertisers and from Mozilla, which has long since tired of folks pointing out (correctly) how it eats memory, I do think a number of people assume if you strip out ads, you reduce the resource usage. I've seen countless people recommend adblockers (and NoScript) to folks with older PCs with the idea being lower content, less resource usage, faster PC. I admit I've subscribed to the theory myself - at least with respect to CPU usage. I sort of feel like running some JS benchmarks to test this myself.

There's an extension, incidentally, called about:addons-memory, that will let you view the add-on resource usage in Firefox.

PS: Mozilla is working hard on incompatibility. It's called Australis. 😉

Reply 19 of 30, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I use AdBlock Plus and Opera 12.17. If ABP misses somithing - I always can add this something in the Opera blocking list.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).