Here you can see a HDD screaming in agony in its final throes. 😁
Show your hardware gore!

My YouTube Channel

Reply 1 of 17, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Interesting. I have an old WD 250Gb IDE hard drive that makes some rather weird sounds as well. Too bad I can't make a video of it "rattling" itself to death 😦

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 17, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, while searching for a photo on my twitter of a busted UPS i also found this:
A4cNpR7CMAAaICP.jpg:large
The Raspberry came delivered with a cap pipped off.
This:
BagyNgMIMAA8MBA.jpg:large
Another HDD with a headcrash
This:
wsCmpJLl.jpg
A TFT monitor with busted caps.
And said busted UPS:
144087821.jpg?1281558160
Working in IT is hard when you see all this gore all the time 😁

My YouTube Channel

Reply 3 of 17, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Here is one I had many years ago. An old family acquaintance came one day looking for help with his PC. When I asked him for details, he simply showed me these two pics he took with his digital camera:

8A9E9Vs.jpg cMaV8pa.jpg

I went with him to buy a new CD-ROM drive, then to his house to do a replacement & clean-up. I never inquired about how or why this happened 😐 .

Here are some pics I found at an old site called Twisted Hardware (only the front page works , the side links are non-functional). I don't know if they're real or just props, but still look pretty bad 😵 :

TCkGXm5.jpg rd90DAh.jpg
Someone hates AMD CPUs

13BDRO6.jpg 9msl2ts.jpg SBScmlT.jpg
Someone REALLY hates AMD CPUs!!!

sRefHs9.jpg SkDG9D4.jpg gm3dY6C.jpg
I don't want to know what happened here, all I know is that I ain't touching any of it! It looks icky 😵 !

kirSnZX.jpg DjDAH06.jpg
Corporate Burnout 😜

XLm7zZv.jpg
This is what happens when you run 3DMark one too many times 😈

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 17, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, that's some pretty pics. 😁
Yeah, AMDs don't turn off when they overheat unlike Intel chips.
Now that you post a piture of a destroyed CD in a drive, i had a similar happening.
winxpcd.jpg
I was at about 50% of the installation of XP when suddenly the CD exploded in the drive.
The loud bang scared the shit out of me, i almost fell from my chair. ^^
So many stuff in the past that i've just forgotten slowly coming back.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 5 of 17, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Yup, when a CD or DVD goes kaput, it's very sudden and very loud. I've experienced 3 of these so far: 2 data CD-Rs and 1 DVD movie (the CD-Rs I can understand; the DVD movie was a surprise though). The drives also died as a result (a Toshiba and two Lite-Ons).

Meanwhile, I've been browsing through an 80Gb IDE hard drive that has an old install of Windows 98 and found a few more pics 😀 :

FftPbIC.jpg UlzgHQO.jpg
This hasn't been a good day for AMD CPUs 😒

aWr29a6.jpg H9Ycw6a.png gm5A0Da.jpg
"Hey Jack, do you smell something funny?"
"No, I don't. Why do you ask?"
"Because a cloud of wispy white smoke is coming out of your computer" 😐

2fixT2W.jpg IlOzxST.jpg
"Doctor, que le paso a mi disco duro? Doctor, por favor respondame. Doctor! DOCTOR!!!" 😵

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 6 of 17, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually had a NIC burn out. The resistor network near the card edge was all charred. Never figured out what caused it as the slot was fine otherwise.

Reply 7 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like someone started arbitrarily applying mains power voltage across random pins in some of those pics? Surely things couldn't catastrophically fail like that on their own!

Reply 9 of 17, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could be very wrong, but a lot of those look either intentional or maybe props. On the other hand, I've seen some crazy stuff when it comes to computers.

I never took pictures of it, but my family had an old 486 with a 56K modem in it that got hit with lightning (if I recall correctly). The modem had a hole literally burnt through it and one of the ICs looked like a miniature volcano... somehow it seemed to function completely anyway. We never figured out what the parts did on it. I'm gonna ask my brother if he has a picture of it, because now that I'm thinking about it, I'm really curious.

Reply 10 of 17, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got this shipped by a friend, and it was treated roughly prior to his receiving it :

file.php?mode=view&id=14820&sid=ab9cd432269e79a9ed2c461abef1ce73

Even with the plastic cracked and broken off in large chunks and the paper guide totally broken off, the printer still works perfectly with a little tape applied. Big Blue knew how to build stuff back in the day, even if its plastics left something to be desired.

Attachments

• Filename
    20140527_220225.jpg
    File size
    426.58 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 11 of 17, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://hackedgadgets.com/2014/06/21/how-to-re … computer-parts/
Hey, 80 bucks minus the dangerous chemicals and worktime.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 13 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have an image but back in the day I built a Pentium 4 system and got this really cheap case. It didn't even have standoffs, the case itself had built-in standoffs so to speak. After building it I noticed a red glowing underneath the desk. One motherboard screw was glowing red and I quickly pulled the power plug. No idea why the PSU didn't switch itself off.

I right away got a new case and the motherboard was still working...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most of the stuff was clearly damaged on purpose. I've seen many videos of people applying high voltage current on electronics, which makes them burn/crack.

Reply 15 of 17, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An old one, but excellent.

At work we had a SFF computer with a note saying "bad cap." Two other techs looked at it for a while, and couldn't find the cap. I came over, and we still couldn't find it. We looked for a while and then... I noticed a small piece of fuzzy cardboard, which was an entirely shredded capacitor.

Reply 16 of 17, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, there must have been some sort of BOOM! 😁

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS