VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This may be old news to some, but I just discovered that Google Books archives back issues of Maximum PC, from 1998 (when it changed names from boot) through 2008. The Maximum PC website only archives the past several years. Even better is that you can search these issues for keywords. I owned most of these, and it's fun to browse (even the ads) and witness the industry evolving. It's also helpful to me as I'm getting back into DOS/Win98 gaming.

http://books.google.com/books/serial/L9IDAAAAMBAJ?rview=1

Reply 1 of 13, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I for one did not know this. That's awesome...thanks for the info.

I love browsing through old computer magazines because this is essentially how I got very interested in computers in the first place.

Reply 2 of 13, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For sure! I agree on the adverts - love seeing the old hardware and the crazy advertising. Too bad they don't have the older BOOT mags - would love to see some of those scanned up and put on there.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A while back I wanted offline copies, and found some app which wget'd Google Book pages. Did the lot of them (err I guess that was illegal?) and stitched them back together with a PDF maker, then combined them in a folder with the ones you could get from their site. ... then the HDD those were on died without backups 🙁

Back when I did that, there were a few whose scans had been messed up by Google (crumpled pages, missing covers) but I think they have been replaced by now...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 13, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Haha. Did the same thing - crawled the site and pulled the files. Did the same for the old issues of CGW. Probably frowned upon but oh well....

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 7 of 13, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Artex wrote:

Yep, lots of cool stuff - Rendition Verite, NEC PowerVR, 3DFX.. all the classics!

I own a small collection of the original Boot Magazines in hard copy, along with the included CDs. Also have a hand full of the Voodoo 3DFX (quarterly) magazines.

Cool stuff and a great way to travel back in time.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 8 of 13, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I discovered that Google Books also has many old issues of PC Magazine. It isn't included in the list of magazines as Maximum PC is, but you can use the advanced search function to find it. You'll just need to search for a specific term and include "pc magazine" in the title box. I was reading an old issue from 1994 when the Pentium 90 was state of the art!

Reply 9 of 13, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed that as well...I'm so glad pc magazine is on there as well.

I searched for computer shopper as well but there were no issues available to view...bit beggars can't be choosers.

Being able to view the PC Magazine issues I used to have back in the day is amazing...very nostalgic for me since I had many of these exact issues and then threw them away with my computer shopper mags one day when I ran out of space in my parents garage...I wish I didn't throw them out now but being able to view them like this is better than nothing.

Reply 11 of 13, by jammaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...Does anybody have a scan of Maximum PC December 1999 ?
This issue is nowhere to be found! (even in real format!)
There is a cool Alienware review inside.
Thk a lot ^^

Reply 12 of 13, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jammaster wrote on 2022-08-05, 05:27:
...Does anybody have a scan of Maximum PC December 1999 ? This issue is nowhere to be found! (even in real format!) There is a c […]
Show full quote

...Does anybody have a scan of Maximum PC December 1999 ?
This issue is nowhere to be found! (even in real format!)
There is a cool Alienware review inside.
Thk a lot ^^

Hmmm, I just checked and don't have it either nor September or November. I'll do some digging......

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W