Common searches

"My" Joystick

Topic actions

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was the first IBM PC joystick I used. First game I played with it was Wolfenstein 3-D. NEVER AGAIN..........

And yes, it is that small... It also has almost no movement freedom, almost like a Atari 2600 joystick only slightly less stiff.

2014-06-07%2009.51.23.jpg2014-06-07%2009.51.46.jpg2014-06-07%2009.52.24.jpg

Anybody else want to share what their first joystick was? And if anyone ever had this particular joystick in my pictures?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When my parents bought us (me and my brother) an Atari 2600 Jr., we didn't use its original joysticks, but bought a pair of Quickshot I Deluxe Joystick Controller instead.

(Nope, the photo is not mine. The sticks and the Atari console were somewhere in a crate.)

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"copyright protected, no hotlinking" Seriously what the %&*$ is with websites doing that stupid retarded unnecessary BS? If it's "copyrighted" DON'T PUT IT ON THE PUBLIC INTERNET!

Can you reupload the image to imgur or something? Or tell me what sort of magic cookie or URL referral I need to spoof to see stuff from that website?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

"copyright protected, no hotlinking" Seriously what the %&*$ is with websites doing that stupid retarded unnecessary BS? If it's "copyrighted" DON'T PUT IT ON THE PUBLIC INTERNET!

Can you reupload the image to imgur or something? Or tell me what sort of magic cookie or URL referral I need to spoof to see stuff from that website?

Ah, here you go.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 15, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My parents bought an Atari 2600 in the early '80s so the first joystick I ever used was the standard 2600 controller.

As far are computers are concerned, here is a pic I posted in a similar thread a few weeks ago. My first one was probably this Jeco in the late '80s, and shortly thereafter the Konix Speedking cause all my friends with Atari ST machines had one. Then later I got the Quickjoy for the same reason. Needless to say, none of them was as playable as their Atari version counterpart.

T5Sl5bN.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 7 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When we originally got our Tandy 1000 SX computer back in the 80's, it came with a pair of these...

tandydeluxejoystick.png
Filename
tandydeluxejoystick.png
File size
326.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

They were garbage. Even as a six-year-old kid, I knew there was something screwy with them, so I eventually stopped using them and just used the keyboard.

Then, we eventually got one of these...

cleargravis.png
Filename
cleargravis.png
File size
226.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...saying this joystick was better than the others would be an understatement. :B

Also, not my photos, these were taken from other places on the net. I've long since lost the ones I had. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also here's a question... Why exactly did these simple joysticks have all the pins for? Looking at the pinout of the gameport, clearly this thing isn't really using those pins... I know the Microsoft Sidewinder Pro didn't even connect all the pins, only certain ones were present on the plug itself.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45822870/ … %2008.47.04.jpg (5 megapixel image, be warned)

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 15, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Also here's a question... Why exactly did these simple joysticks have all the pins for? Looking at the pinout of the gameport, clearly this thing isn't really using those pins... I know the Microsoft Sidewinder Pro didn't even connect all the pins, only certain ones were present on the plug itself.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45822870/ … %2008.47.04.jpg (5 megapixel image, be warned)

The DA-15 gameport connector supports four axes (4 pins), four buttons (4 pins) and requires +5v and GND (2 pins). That is ten pins, and the most common connector available at the time supported fifteen pins. Creative Labs appropriated two of the other pins for MIDI.

Imagine how many people would have wanted to use this joystick privately if it were available back in the day :

http://tinyurl.com/ygaa3by

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 12 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never used a PC joystick that wasn't shit.
There were a few flight sticks that were only useful for flight simulators, but were horrendous to use for platform games like commander keen.

I had a quickshot and gravis like the one above, and they were difficult to calibrate and in the case of the gravis way too stiff. The gravis gamepads seem nice, but I have never used on myself.

The only good computer joystick I used was the black and red ones that came with my Amiga 500.

atari_joysticks_command_control.jpg

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 15, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey that's the same joystick I had with my Commodore VIC-20... what the hell's going on here?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 14 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That 1st post and seeing Suncom took me back!
Our 1st Joystick was a Suncom Analog Plus. Originally for our Apple IIe, when we upgraded to the 486 All we had to do was toggle the switch from Apple to IBM. It was durable and we did get the exact same again once the 1st one died but we were never really into joystick games. Its still probably in my parents garage with all my other PC stuff.

Reply 15 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
I win this thread: […]
Show full quote

I win this thread:

TI994%20joystick.jpg

Mine! Not counting the paddles for whatever Pong clone we had (never identified) 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto