VOGONS

Common searches

How to slow down a windows 98 computer for slower games?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there existing a somekind of slowdown method that i can use to make the computer a bit slower? because most of the games i try to run like jazz jack rabbit 1 needs a slow computer.
i have a real pc to use the older games to keep the windows 8 away from it.

Reply 1 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are many different slowdown methods, but the choice of which one is the best to use depends on what hardware you are using specifically.

Jazz Jackrabbit has the Runtime Error 200 bug, doesn't it? It is easiest to simply apply one of various patches to fix the problem, like TPPATCH.

Reply 2 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

There are many different slowdown methods, but the choice of which one is the best to use depends on what hardware you are using specifically.

Jazz Jackrabbit has the Runtime Error 200 bug, doesn't it? It is easiest to simply apply one of various patches to fix the problem, like TPPATCH.

it goes to a black screen for a moment and then back onto the desk, noting happens in dos mode, the processor apears to be a intel brand.

Reply 3 of 32, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are some programs to slow down the CPU, like moslo.

Another option would be disable the caché... usually that slows down the CPUs enough.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

it goes to a black screen for a moment and then back onto the desk

So you're launching the program by double-clicking it in Explorer? You should try running it from the command line instead; otherwise, you will not be able to see any error messages produced by the program.

noting happens in dos mode

That could be the sign of any number of different problems and is certainly not limited to your computer being too fast. You should try TPPATCH.

the processor apears to be a intel brand.

You will need to be much more specific.

Also, why don't you just use DOSBox on your Windows 8 computer to run the game?

Reply 6 of 32, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nic-93 wrote:

i was kind of getting tires of running dosbox for most of the emulation

Huh? DOSBOX is fine; resolution smoothing and the likes. Plus, you can use multi-axis joystick in DOSBOX. My CH USB HOTAS controllers work great for games like Gunship 2000 and Pacific Strike in DOSBOX.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
So you're launching the program by double-clicking it in Explorer? You should try running it from the command line instead; oth […]
Show full quote
Nic-93 wrote:

it goes to a black screen for a moment and then back onto the desk

So you're launching the program by double-clicking it in Explorer? You should try running it from the command line instead; otherwise, you will not be able to see any error messages produced by the program.

noting happens in dos mode

That could be the sign of any number of different problems and is certainly not limited to your computer being too fast. You should try TPPATCH.

the processor apears to be a intel brand.

You will need to be much more specific.

Also, why don't you just use DOSBox on your Windows 8 computer to run the game?

hmm, the processor is a intel celeron.

Reply 14 of 32, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nic-93 wrote:

it only goes down to 200 in the cpu speed ore otherwise its in the 100's.

If you can set your Front side bus to 66mhz or 50mhz (if mobo board supports it.) that will then be the slowest your cpu will run. Without disabling the cache.

Reply 15 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:
Nic-93 wrote:

it only goes down to 200 in the cpu speed ore otherwise its in the 100's.

If you can set your Front side bus to 66mhz or 50mhz (if mobo board supports it.) that will then be the slowest your cpu will run. Without disabling the cache.

i can ask the person who build the computer what type of motherboard it was, then we can get a cleaner situation.

Reply 17 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:

Don't know what celeron your running, so it maybe already at 66mhz FSB. Most Pentium II\III era celerons are.
That is anyway, until you get to the Tualatin based celerons.

hmm, i can adjust the memory for the ms dos games if i right click on them.

Reply 18 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:

Don't know what celeron your running, so it maybe already at 66mhz FSB. Most Pentium II\III era celerons are.

It could be a Northwood Celeron for all we know at this point.

Nic-93 wrote:

i can ask the person who build the computer what type of motherboard it was, then we can get a cleaner situation.

Download an old version of CPU-Z from http://www.oldapps.com/cpuz.php?old_cpuz=51 . It should tell you everything you need to know.

Nic-93 wrote:

That has absolutely nothing to do with your present problem.

Did you try using TPPATCH yet? Or running Jazz Jackrabbit from the command line?

Reply 19 of 32, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
It could be a Northwood Celeron for all we know at this point. […]
Show full quote
AlphaWing wrote:

It could be a Northwood Celeron for all we know at this point.

Nic-93 wrote:

Download an old version of CPU-Z from http://www.oldapps.com/cpuz.php?old_cpuz=51 . It should tell you everything you need to know.

Nic-93 wrote:

That has absolutely nothing to do with your present problem.

Did you try using TPPATCH yet? Or running Jazz Jackrabbit from the command line?

hmmm, now whenever i try to run jazz.exe in dos level it just gives the runtime error, so i gues i should try out the tppatch.