VOGONS

Common searches

How many use linux?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 98, by WhatANerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I totally agree. I used to have more fun fiddling with trying to get the games to work than actually enjoying the games. Spending all that time trying to get them to work made their actual use anti-climactic. 🤣

Ahhh I think you hit the nail on the head - I'm all fiddled out from DOS/Windows. Why am I here, again??? *vanishes in a puff of logic*

• x86: Tandy 1000RL (HD+768K), Tandy 3000HD, 486DX33 VLB, 486DX50 VLB, Packard Bell Force 1998CDT (Pentium 133)
  • 68K: Mac Plus 1MB (early), Quadra 700 (2), Quadra 950, Quadra 650

Clock multiplication is too new for me, as you can see!

Reply 82 of 98, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
5u3 wrote:

This lack of direction and the resulting diversity is one of the strong points of Linux and open source software in general.

I would suggest the contrary. It would surely be far better to have 90% of collective effort directed to solutions that work for 90% of the people rather than having a diverse selection of software programs, none of which work quite right.

For me, Linux is more like having a diverse selection of software programs, most of which work quite right. 😀

BTW, just installed libdvdcss2, a matter of a minute. While on the other partition, Windows refuses to play DVDs unless I install a "Media Center Pack" which Microsoft would gladly sell me for $ 9.99. 🤣

Reply 83 of 98, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, hardly. Just as there are abundant DVD playing solutions for Linux, Windows will happily play DVDs for free using VLC or ffdshow or suchlike. Of course, you have to know where to find them, but then you'd also have to know where to find libdvdcss2.

Reply 84 of 98, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought most people who use windows as a media player center install the K-lite codec pack, which has most needed codecs and Media Player classic for playback.

Reply 85 of 98, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WhatANerd wrote:

I was too. I guess it kind of makes sense, seeing that since the people here keep going back for more of MS-DOS and Windows 3x/9x! 🤣 Maybe our best memories are with the Microsoft systems, and not Linux.

I despise Windows 9x. I really do. Too much CTRL+ALT+DEL for me. 😜

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 87 of 98, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlphaWing wrote:

I thought most people who use windows as a media player center install the K-lite codec pack, which has most needed codecs and Media Player classic for playback.

There are other alternatives like the CCCP. It also used to use ffdshow. (Looks like both have moved on to "LAV Filters" now.)

Last edited by Jorpho on 2014-07-11, 21:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 89 of 98, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

@ Firtasik I should smack you for saying that. 🤣

<arnold's voice>Come and get me!</arnold's voice> 😎

MPC-HC comes with LAV filters, great player.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 90 of 98, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

I for one prefer a lot of nerdy coders doing whatever they think is best to a "visionary" deciding what is best for me. This lack of direction and the resulting diversity is one of the strong points of Linux and open source software in general. In that sense, I'm glad the "year of the Linux desktop" never came along.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but I'd agree with others who have said that SOME direction is more useful - there are plenty of open source projects where this has played out very nicely, and you have a group of "nerdy coders" who collectively work together and provide something fairly useful, like Wikipedia, VLC, Audacity, GIMP, and so on.

As far as Windows and DVDs - what version are you using? Windows 7 includes DVD playback out of the box, and if I remember right so does Windows 8 Pro. XP and older did not include DVD codecs, but generally hardware from that era included a freebie application to solve that (I have probably a dozen copies of CyberlinkDVD from graphics cards, and I don't remember an OEM system from back then that didn't include either Cyberlink or Intervideo to handle DVD playback - some old DVDs will even provide you with a codec package upon being run). VLC is the easiest/fastest way to add DVD playback to an XP system that doesn't have an application already on hand (VLC is, in general, a good utility to have any computer - Windows or Linux). None of this is a "Microsoft thing" (but it certainly will get laid at their feet) - it's a licensing thing; thank Hollywood for the ease of use when it comes to DVD, Blu-ray, etc on PC.

Reply 91 of 98, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

I remember right so does Windows 8 Pro.

Nope. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403983,00.asp

(I have probably a dozen copies of CyberlinkDVD from graphics cards, and I don't remember an OEM system from back then that didn't include either Cyberlink or Intervideo to handle DVD playback - some old DVDs will even provide you with a codec package upon being run).

I think you mean PowerDVD.

I was surprised to learn that there is apparently no freeware application for playing Blu-Rays yet that supports Blu-Ray menus. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem because Blu-Ray menus use Java and free Java VMs are abundantly available. Anyway, both Linux and Windows are in the same boat as far as that goes.

Reply 92 of 98, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know, I don't think I'm ever going to buy a blue ray disc. There really is no reason to keep switching to the next format with the advent of the internet. That doesn't mean I won't grab the occasional DVD still though. 🤣

I also I must agree I've never had problems playing dvd's on windows Xp and up. I also don't have any problems playing DVDs on linux either though. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 93 of 98, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

You know, I don't think I'm ever going to buy a blue ray disc. There really is no reason to keep switching to the next format with the advent of the internet. That doesn't mean I won't grab the occasional DVD still though. 🤣

I also I must agree I've never had problems playing dvd's on windows Xp and up. I also don't have any problems playing DVDs on linux either though. 😜

I'd agree with the "advent of the Internet" as far as media distribution goes - digital download looks like it will be the future for most everything (for better or for worse). It generally seems to have the upside of being more platform independent, but it raises its own ethical/practical concerns in the process. Personally I'm bummed that BD-ROM or HD-DVD-ROM never took off for software/storage, because I like the ability to work offline, but I will agree that the whole "HD formats" thing has been a total mess as far as implementation beyond native players goes. I can imagine things being worse under Linux than under Windows/OS X simply because of the DRM associated with newer formats (some of the features of Blu-ray/HD-DVD, like AACS, don't lend themselves to FOSS implementations).

As far as BD itself goes - I like the improved hardcoating on the discs, but the whole "let's run everything lossless and eat up 50GB" jag really does nothing for me. Would not be surprised if "they" will be pushing some new format in the next 3-4 years (DVD ran for nearly 10 years before BDV (1997 to 2006), and BDV is itself almost 10 years old) as part of 4K-mania. The whole thing is just a means of pushing people onto a carousel of constantly upgrading and re-buying the same media (you know, because everyone needs yet another doctored copy of ANH or LOTR).

Jorpho wrote:

I think you mean PowerDVD.

PowerDVD, MediaSuite, Media Player, etc etc. Tons of "variations on a common theme" kind of bundles - easier to just say "Cyberlink DVD" or what-have-you. Some of them I've never bothered installing, and honestly I'm not intimately familiar with the differences between every version.

There's also probably some InterLink/Corel CDs in there, again, absolute accuracy isn't a big factor for the sake of discussion. The only bundled/add-on DVD player that's ever really stood out to me was the nVidia one (not the Windows Media Player plug-in); I remember using that with my GeForce FX 5900 on an nForce 2/Soundstorm system and it worked very well (and did most of the decode/playback with hardware acceleration). No idea if I still have the CD for that, not that it's supported under modern operating systems (and I don't even know if it'd work with more modern GeForce cards either).

On the Windows 8 + DVD thing, thanks for clarifying. Not actually surprising that Microsoft had to dump it for cost reasons; reminds me of Creative and DTS-Connect a few years ago. It's mildly frustrating for desktop users I'd suspect, but for the bulk of Windows 8 devices (tablets, laptops, etc) that don't even have optical drives, I doubt it's even noticed. I'd be curious if they don't "bring the feature back" with the next version of Windows though (given that they're already "on the hook" for bringing back other Windows Vista/7 features that were removed from 8/8.1).

I was surprised to learn that there is apparently no freeware application for playing Blu-Rays yet that supports Blu-Ray menus. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem because Blu-Ray menus use Java and free Java VMs are abundantly available. Anyway, both Linux and Windows are in the same boat as far as that goes.

That's actually not all that surprising - it isn't so much the BD-J support that's the "gotcha" as it is that Blu-ray/HD-DVD require AACS which doesn't exist (at least legally) as a freeware component. There's greymarket applications/work-arounds that can extract the audio/video content from a disc, but as with DVD these are very murky waters (even if the extracted content is stored in an encrypted manner). My guess is that content providers and software makers are happier to move to digital distribution like UltraViolet or Netflix and be rid of all of the back-and-forth over which kinds of duplication are and are not acceptable fair-use.

Also, aside from a very few Blu-rays that I've seen over the years, you aren't missing much with the menus - there's still a number of releases that lack interactive menus altogether, and the majority of "interactive" discs are just like DVDs; very basic looped audio/video. I can only think of a few discs that really take advantage of all of the improved hardware/software features behind Blu-ray for the menus.

Reply 94 of 98, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

That's actually not all that surprising - it isn't so much the BD-J support that's the "gotcha" as it is that Blu-ray/HD-DVD require AACS which doesn't exist (at least legally) as a freeware component. There's greymarket applications/work-arounds that can extract the audio/video content from a disc, but as with DVD these are very murky waters (even if the extracted content is stored in an encrypted manner).

Oh, yes, there are workarounds for playing the content aside from the menus. I have no idea about the legality, but they work well enough – except for the fact that apparently some newer discs use a different encryption standard or something.

Reply 95 of 98, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Oh, yes, there are workarounds for playing the content aside from the menus. I have no idea about the legality, but they work well enough – except for the fact that apparently some newer discs use a different encryption standard or something.

IIRC Blu-ray has "generations" of disc (as they continuously screw with it) which is why some older/earlier players also have issues with very new discs (usually in the form of extremely long load times). I know I've observed that with my hardware player and some discs; for the most part firmware updates cover it. I could see this being a problem with certain software as well. 😵

Reply 96 of 98, by Holering

User metadata
5u3 wrote:

For me, Linux is more like having a diverse selection of software programs, most of which work quite right. 😀

Right. Before I knew about Linux (Windows 98SE era), I found myself downloading and installing software from the internet because it was always better. Lame mp3, vorbis ogg, Xvid, winamp, flac, wavpack, winzip, winrar, mozilla, etc. The list goes on. I didn't even know what open source was. When Windows XP came along, I felt like I was trying to make Windows something else (Windows XP came out and I swear Windows has been at its worst since then). Then I heard about Linux and looked into it (Red Hat). Ended up trying Slackware for first time and never looked back. I mean, if I gotta install all this open source software that's just way better, I might as well install Linux. It's a lot faster to do personal tasks too. IMO the only thing holding it back is driver support. There's some nice hardware that doesn't function on Linux. The ones that do however, work very nice and usually better than Windows. I've never had problems with crashing unless it is my fault, some misconfiguration, or a deliberate hardware problem.

And honestly, if you have to use Wine to run Windows games, you should just install Windows (unless you can't afford it). You could try virtualization but I don't think the Windows games are going to run too well unless you have VGA passthrough. Dosbox is great for old DOS games too; under any OS actually. I personally would rather have a dedicated game machine (WII U, Xbox one, PS4, etc) for gaming. A PC is a PC, and I think Linux does the best job of interpreting that.

I totally agree with the UNIX philosophy, "Write programs that do one thing and do it well".

Reply 97 of 98, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use it pretty much all day every day. And even though my main computer runs Windows, I still do most of my work with a Unix shell.

I don't see Linux doing much for the desktop crowd, honestly. It's still more of an advanced user workstation type of environment. As much as I love Linux, I still very much prefer Windows for my desktop.

Reply 98 of 98, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I missed this news. They must have been listening to you.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc0Mzk

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto