Common searches

Does this annoy anyone else?

Topic actions

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It really gets my goat when people post videos on YouTube of Windows 95 running under DosBox, especially on things like phones, tablets, and consoles, mainly because it gives people the impression that "ZOMG I CAN PLAY MY OLD WINDOZE GAMES ON MY PHONE!!!1!1!!" I've played around with Win95 in DosBox, and honestly it doesn't run that great on its own, let alone with other apps running on it. 🤣 Of course, it's not designed to run WIn95 or apps for Win95, it's designed to run DOS games, and DOS games only! Why do people have such a hard time understanding this? I mean, if the emulation isn't exact enough to run business apps correctly, why trust it with a whole extra operating system layered on top? That's what virtual machines are for. Unfortunately, there aren't any VMs that provide decent hardware acceleration for Win9x.

Sorry, I just felt like ranting. 🤣

Reply 1 of 33, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It really gets my goat when people post videos on YouTube of Windows 95 running under DosBox, especially on things like phones, tablets, and consoles, mainly because it gives people the impression that "ZOMG I CAN PLAY MY OLD WINDOZE GAMES ON MY PHONE!!!1!1!!" I've played around with Win95 in DosBox, and honestly it doesn't run that great on its own, let alone with other apps running on it. 🤣 Of course, it's not designed to run WIn95 or apps for Win95, it's designed to run DOS games, and DOS games only! Why do people have such a hard time understanding this? I mean, if the emulation isn't exact enough to run business apps correctly, why trust it with a whole extra operating system layered on top? That's what virtual machines are for. Unfortunately, there aren't any VMs that provide decent hardware acceleration for Win9x.

Wait, you're telling me there's a technical world outside of the smartphone?

But, can I check facebook? 😠

Reply 2 of 33, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EverythingOldIsNewAgain wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Wait, you're telling me there's a technical world outside of the smartphone?

But, can I check facebook? 😠

That's what a lot of people think nowadays. 🤣 I'm old fashioned though, I NEED a physical keyboard and a CPU that's vastly overpowered for simple web browsing, as well as countless hundreds of GB of local storage. You can't get that in a phone.

Reply 3 of 33, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quoting

unnecessarily

annoys the hell out of me.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 33, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm annoyed when I can't find videos of games being played on the actual hardware, it's always either some inaccurate emulation or in the case of DOS games, DosBOX.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 33, by Holering

User metadata

I can't say it annoys me. But unless it's some extreme development feat achieved by the dosbox authors, I don't see the point.

As a dosbox developer I might be upset if videos like that were posted. Heard mention that dosbox uses some nasty hacks to get I/O working; and probably for other stuff too.

Reply 6 of 33, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DosBOX is great for alot of things but there are still a few games that get super angry at the dynamic recompiler (anywhere from the program crashing to dosbox locking up, etc) it's still got alot to go I guess. I hope one day DosBOX is able to run just about everything under the sun for DOS.

Oh another thing that annoys me is when my search results turn up a ton of unrelated errata and when I start bringing out the "type my terms in quotes" I end up getting no search results, or still end up with unrelated results but like 3-5 results only.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 33, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IMHO I don't view running 95 in emulation on a phone any different than installing Gentoo on a toaster or putting a Coke machine online (a hearty hello to anyone who gets either of these historical references). Sure, some folks may get the wrong impression about real-world implications, but in the broader sense I think it's actually kind of interesting that we've come far enough with technology that an operating system that was considered state of the art only ~20 years ago can be run (essentially) as an application on a mobile phone (consider what mobile phones were like when Windows 95 was new as well).

Now sure, if this spawns a whole new generation of "help me run XYZ application in XYZ insane configuration" - blargh! But I think those kinds of fantastical "make us go" situations would end up happening more or less no matter what though. 😢

Reply 9 of 33, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those "Win95 under DOSBox" videos don't annoy me because I refuse to acknowledge their existence. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 11 of 33, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only use cell phones for three things, talking, reading texts but never write them, and checking the time. All my computing is done on a real computers! Smartphone users such yuppies especially when they take selfies.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12 of 33, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If inconsequential, trivial shit like this "annoys" you people, how do you cope with the rest of your lives?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 33, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

If inconsequential, trivial shit like this "annoys" you people, how do you cope with the rest of your lives?

Isn't there a pill for that? 😉

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 14 of 33, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

IMHO I don't view running 95 in emulation on a phone any different than installing Gentoo on a toaster or putting a Coke machine online (a hearty hello to anyone who gets either of these historical references). Sure, some folks may get the wrong impression about real-world implications, but in the broader sense I think it's actually kind of interesting that we've come far enough with technology that an operating system that was considered state of the art only ~20 years ago can be run (essentially) as an application on a mobile phone (consider what mobile phones were like when Windows 95 was new as well).

Now sure, if this spawns a whole new generation of "help me run XYZ application in XYZ insane configuration" - blargh! But I think those kinds of fantastical "make us go" situations would end up happening more or less no matter what though. 😢

Good point, from that perspective I can see why it would be cool to be able to run Win95 on a phone. Heck, part of the reason why I got a PSP around 2006 is because I saw a demonstration on TechTV where someone used a port of QEMU or something to run Win95 on it. As soon as I saw that, I knew that it would fulfill my dream of having a portable device that could run emulators. And it was a decent enough device, for the most part, but I ended up giving it away to a friend some time around 2009.

I agree though, it is annoying when newbies come along asking for help with something that they clearly don't understand the complexity of. Yes, you can run Windows 95 on a Wii. No, you probably can't do anything productive with it, and it's harder to set up than you may thing.

JoeCorrado wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

Isn't there a pill for that? 😉

fuckitol.jpg

Reply 15 of 33, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cell phones? What black magic is this! D:<
No seriously though I hate cell phones and smart phones, I'm going to go as long as I can without one but it's hard since the rest of the world expects you to be glued to your phone. Nope sorry I don't have all day to sit next to my land line, that's what answering machines were invented for. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 16 of 33, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Unfortunately, there aren't any VMs that provide decent hardware acceleration for Win9x.

That right there is the problem. People want a virtual machine that can run Win9x with hardware acceleration so that it can be used to play games, but none of the VMs really provide that. So they see DOSBox with Glide emulation to be the best option.

Maybe if someone actually made a VM that could run hardware accelerated software under 9x, people wouldn't bother trying to get DOSBox to do it.

Besides, isn't Win9X basically just a huge DOS program? As such, it seems only right that DOSBox should run it.

Reply 17 of 33, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Good point, from that perspective I can see why it would be cool to be able to run Win95 on a phone. Heck, part of the reason why I got a PSP around 2006 is because I saw a demonstration on TechTV where someone used a port of QEMU or something to run Win95 on it. As soon as I saw that, I knew that it would fulfill my dream of having a portable device that could run emulators. And it was a decent enough device, for the most part, but I ended up giving it away to a friend some time around 2009.

I agree though, it is annoying when newbies come along asking for help with something that they clearly don't understand the complexity of. Yes, you can run Windows 95 on a Wii. No, you probably can't do anything productive with it, and it's harder to set up than you may thing.

That reminds me - anyone else remember those "Gameboy Advance as measurement equipment" mods from ages ago? 🤣

Again - kind of nonsensical but still interesting in a quirky way. 😊

Reply 18 of 33, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Rekrul wrote:

Besides, isn't Win9X basically just a huge DOS program? As such, it seems only right that DOSBox should run it.

Windows 95, along with Windows NT, was one of the first iterations of Windows that stands free of DOS -- it does not run "on top of" DOS the way Windows 3 does, although it does include a version of DOS that can be run separately (restart in DOS mode). As such, it is not in the scope of the official DOSBox project.

Reply 19 of 33, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
SquallStrife wrote:

I just wave my "magic wand" and make it "disappear" 😜 😈

Ooohh, the pain......