VOGONS

Common searches

Obscure Old Racing Game

Topic actions

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember that when I was a kid I had a CD full of demos that came with an issue of the I/O magazine. There was one racing game I remember but have not seen it referenced anywhere since I got broadband internet connection, which seems to suggest that the game is not very mainstream. Sadly, in my infinite "wisdom", one day when I was making space for my new CDs I threw all the demo discs out. If only I had known what a valuable source of retro gaming information that would one day become...

The racing game was quite simple. You drove a fairly small blocky car. As far as I remember it, it was almost a complete cube and you raced other cubes. The game wasn't very advanced when it comes to graphics. The track was simple as well, just your normal tarmac race track. I'm not sure about it but I think the track was built above water, like a bridge but my memory may be failing me with this one. What I do remember for sure that the sky was either very dark or you drove around at night.

The game must be very old. It was probably early 2000s or maybe even late 90s. I think the game had a pretty interesting techno soundtrack but again, I'm not sure whether or not my brain is playing a trick on me.

Anybody have any idea what that might be?

Reply 3 of 33, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blocky cars, huh? Are you sure it wasn't Big Red Racing?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 33, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope. That's not it.

As difficult as it might be to believe, the graphics were even more blocky than that. (also, keep in mind the night/dark visual style of the game)

Reply 5 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could even be a local shareware/freeware game since Finland had such an exclusive gamedev scene, because I don't remember it. It could be rotting on mbnet.fi somewhere. The mention of a techno soundtrack certainly suggests as so (in using a tracker playback library being common for european gamedev)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 33, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmm, it might be. Although I couldn't find it on mbnet.fi.

I also searched through the racing games list on wikipedia. I checked every game released in the late 90s and the early 2000s one by one but no cigar.

Reply 11 of 33, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope. There are similarities, but the general "feel" of the game was very different. While P.o.D has a kinda dirty, junkyard-style thing going for it, the game I'm looking for was considerably cleaner. In fact, I remember the textures being very plain.

Reply 16 of 33, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Again, not a DOS game.

Edit: Sorry, Procyon, I somehow managed to miss your post:

Procyon wrote:
Just firing some titles. Speed Haste Ultim@te Race Pro XCar Fatal Racing Motorhead Screamer 1 2 or Rally Speed Demons (Microids) […]
Show full quote

Just firing some titles.
Speed Haste
Ultim@te Race Pro
XCar
Fatal Racing
Motorhead
Screamer 1 2 or Rally
Speed Demons (Microids)
Hi Octane

Of all of these Motorhead looks the closest to the blurry image in my memory. Might just be it. I'll let you know when I get my hands on it.

Reply 17 of 33, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yasashii wrote:

I think the game had a pretty interesting techno soundtrack

When I read this I immediately thought about Motorhead which has an excellent techno soundtrack, but then you started talking about rudimentary graphics which I don't think Motorhead has (compared to other games at that time)

You also drive around mostly at night.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 18 of 33, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a video of it, with music, and on a PowerVR

The soundtrack was in CD audio, which may go against the whole magazine pack-in idea unless it was a full version or some special demo version (which Motorhead definitely has had for some cards)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 19 of 33, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This reminds me of Destruction Derby 2 which has a crazy thrash metal soundtrack IIRC.

People playing old games without the original CDs are often missing out on some interesting music

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.