VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if you guys have seen this before, I certainly had never stumbled across anything like this. One day I was at goodwill perusing the jewel cases when for some reason I picked this up and noticed that it was no ordinary jewel case. This oddball case housed two 3.5" floppy diskettes instead of a CD!
Normally I wouldn't buy something like this since I don't really use windows 3.1 and I certainly don't need a screen saver and wall paper collection but the way it was packaged was just too weird to pass up. So now I have this collection of impressionist wallpapers in my software collection. 🤣

8_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76nn.jpg
Looks like a normal jewel case right?

10_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76n5.jpg
Wrong! It has floppy diskettes inside! 🤣

9_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7v76nh.jpg
There are actually two diskettes stacked on top of each other. How weird!

So have you guys seen something like this before or is this genuinely oddball?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 28, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a game, but Green Tweede and Company Elastomer Compatibility Guide came in EXACTLY the same package with dual 3.5" disks inside. I assume promotional material was handed out in the same CD case with either floppy disks or CDROM depending on what the user needed.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 28, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HuCards for PC Engine came in jewel cases, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfoFuZ8Kvg#t=634

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 nice one.

Very cool! I wish I could get a bunch of these in bulk....would be nice to round up any old floppies I have and store them and display them in these things.

I thought the same thing when I was typing this up. That would be so cool but completely overkill since 3.5" floppies are well protected anyhow by the plastic and the aluminum "shutter". 🤣

Reply 7 of 28, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quite uncommon, but not really so rare. I remember seeing these things during the turning point from floppies to optical media. There were two kind of products mainly distributed like this, or at least my memory says so:
-cheap, obsolete productions trying to sell another piece by looking modern (and many times fooling the buyer)
-serious commercial applications (accounting/specialized for a field/updates) that didn't need the extra capacity, but the looks

Reply 8 of 28, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone with a 3D printer could probably make these plastic holders and we could make these for regular CD jewel cases.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 28, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Careful though about the material's longevity, I've had some of the cheaper dvd cases degrading away making a mess. But I too am looking forward to using 3d printers for such jobs. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 12 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still remember buying new 3.5" floppies in mid-90s. Some of the expensive models have each floppies individually encased.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 14 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's really cool! So was this for smaller bits of software so they didn't have to make up a whole box? It seems like it.

Reply 16 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also came across 1 or 2 such jewel cases. Iirc one was a game for a different platform (perhaps Amiga?) and was perhaps a slightly different size compared to a cd jewel case. I don't see them often, the ones that are just big enough to fit the floppies I've seen more often.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 28, by DeviousMalcontent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sutekh94 wrote:

I have been researching the storage of Floppy Disc cases for the past week or so, ever since I picked-up some software that came in one of these, it turns out Depth Dwellers was distributed in something called a Floppy Disc Calendar Case.

floppy-disc-calendar-case-small.jpg

I am trying to find a place where I can buy some cheaply here in my country.

Some companies did distribute software in the floppy dual case, example: The Catacomb Adventures 3D by Software on Demand Australia.

I am also trying to find a place where I can buy these cheaply here in my country.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:44. Edited 1 time in total.