VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What retro computing gadget/board that doesn't currently exist would you like to have, if you could have any sort of gadget built? My vote would be for a combo RAM/EMS board or maybe vga/sound combo card that would be 8/16 bit switchable.

Reply 1 of 105, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would like Asus, Gigabyte or Asrock to build and release brand new 286, 386, 486 and Pentium motherboards under a vintage line of some sorts. A high margin, low volume product.

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2014-09-28, 05:17. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 105, by Holering

User metadata

Would like to have floppy drives. It is the best way to prevent using optical media (I have to use cdrs to boot floppy images), and it wouldn't need a rubberband tray. Heck even a external drive would be sweet.

Last edited by Holering on 2014-09-29, 04:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 105, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably what Phil just said, a Voodoo 6 7500, an Am5x86-160 that would also function at 1x, 2x, 3x and 4x multipliers... And lots of other stuff 😀

Reply 4 of 105, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm. ...let's see..a 5.25" usb floppy drive would be nice.

Also...Maybe a consumer level crt screen (affordable) with a shallow depth and wide screen and 4:3 switchable with all the inputs you can imagine including rgb scart component vga svideo and heck even 9 pin ttl and analog rgb that is ega cga vga svga 1080p etc. Capable and 15khz and up compatible. Pretty much a monitor that can be compatible with all my retro systems as well as my modern ones and all my commodore and console stuff. Tall order I know but hey one can dream.

Reply 6 of 105, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

- A sound card with dual OPL2/3/4, ESFM, SB Pro/SB16, GUS, Ensoniq, Roland GS, Yamaha XG, and SoundFont capabilities in one easy to install and use package (ISA preferred, but PCI will also do).

-A motherboard that supports Socket 3/4/5/7/370/462/478 CPUs, has 6 PCI/ISA slots, 8 DIMM ram slots, dual BIOS, is self-configurable, and jumperless (let's not forget a CD/DVD full of universal drivers and a fully detailed manual).

- A Pentium 500 MMX. Fully unlocked. Just because (and I really mean a Pentium 1 😁 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 105, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So many wonderful dreams so far! I'd love new production floppy drives in different bezel colors. And USB 5.25" drives would be great.

New run boards in older socket types would be cool too, but that sounds like it'd be really hard to get at a reasonable price. So what about nice, clean, beige tower and super tower cases? For those wanting the oldschool understated look for a new machine, or to build an older one.

Reply 8 of 105, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

- A sound card with dual OPL2/3/4, ESFM, SB Pro/SB16, GUS, Ensoniq, Roland GS, Yamaha XG, and SoundFont capabilities in one easy to install and use package (ISA preferred, but PCI will also do).

That would be amazing....Don't forget adlib ibm (yamaha FB-01) MediaVision, awe32/64 and covox (disney sound source) compatibility too 🤣..it would be perfect having a card that allows you to be able to select any sound card in any older game...I guess it would have to be dos os/2 win 3.1 and win9x compatible for me too...If something like that worked I would maybe pay close to a grand for something like that.

Reply 10 of 105, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:

ISA PS2 cards or Converters, the converters exist but extremely rare.

Good one...been looking for something like this for ages now...I heard about some home brew project regarding this but never seen anything for sale

Reply 11 of 105, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A super Voodoo5 card, with 32 miniaturized VSA 100 chips (or probably a 32-core "super VSA 100" chip), and a "Voodoo1 wrapper chip" that can be activated (from DOS environmental variables) to make the card appear as Voodoo1 to certain Voodoo1-only games, especially those games with hard-coded GLide. The card should ideally be a PCI card to avoid compatibility problems with myriad types of AGP slots.

A sound card which is fully compatible with any version of EAX and A3D, especially A3D 2.0. The sound card should have DTS Connect and Dolby Digital Live capability through its S/PDIF output. A HDMI output with multichannel PCM is a plus.

An sound font-based external GM module with 4 GB or even 8 GB RAM to run even the largest sound font possible. The external module should be able to accept DIN MIDI connectors so we can use it with pure DOS computers.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 105, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A secondary PCIe Voodoo5 that works through the bus similar to PCX2 cards and every TV card ever. PCIe for the bandwidth to do that

while i'm at it...... a refreshed PCIe PowerVR PCX2 with WDDM drivers 😀 who knows how fast they really are when you take the transfer bottleneck away?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 105, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

- 450BX chipset, i.e. 440BX with 1/2, 2/5 and 1/3 AGP divider, universal AGP4x (3.3v support for teh Voodoos of course 😀 ) and UDMA 66/100. Boards should come in Slot 1 and Socket 370 variants with Socket 2011-esque backplates, reinforced socket levers, P4 power connector, high-wattage CPU voltage regulators and heavy duty VRM/chipset cooling.

- Multiplier-unlocked Tualatin PIII-S (PIII-K?)

- 3DFX Voodoo Rampage (with 4-way SLI capabilities of course! 😁 😁 😁 ) and Daytona

- ISA card with PC-LINK connector for PCI-based Yamaha YMF sound cards

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 16 of 105, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

486 ATX boards 😁 (no need for AGP though)
A super Voodoo 2 add-in card 😀

I'll think of more stuff later 🤣, there has to be more 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 105, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Socket 3 486 ATX
Reproduction SS7 ATX with bug free chipsets that don't suck for the ages (memory controller performance) with stable 133mhz FSB or better
Slot 1 and Slot A as well Slot 2 with some modern features and bug free chipsets
Reproduction Socket 370
Modernized Socket A with bug free chipsets (will settle with single channel DDR3)

Reproduction ISA sound cards with proper and clean signal out with no handing note
Proper coppers coolers for all things like they used to
Cases that are not made out of foil and black plastic that don't look stupid
More retro friendly pci and agp graphics cards

Overclocking, overclocking for everyone! Like it used to be done.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 18 of 105, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A proper PCI floppy controller that works like a typical ISA or onboard one. That you can access typically from the computer with no imaging required. Is that asking too much? 😢 😊

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 19 of 105, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll echo philscomputerlab about an SBC with an embedded pentium, onboard roland + SB16, 16MB ram, and a sata port for an SSD.

I'd also like to see a handheld dreamcast, and an improved version of the Neo Geo X with a better screen.