VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 105, by MatureTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to see a remake of 440BX + 1 GHz Pentium 3 with a modern die-shrink to minimize heat/power, solid caps only, with a slot for a 2.5" SSD and a fanless power supply that provides -5V for the ISA slot, in a small form factor except with room for a full-length ISA card. I suppose the basic version would omit the ISA slot and just include a Sound Blaster + XG synth combo on-board, and could then fit into a smaller box.

Edit: Oh yeah, also need on-board VGA with all standard modes and VESA BIOS Extension modes up to 1600x1200 and 1920x1080.
Edit: And 512 MB on-board RAM, full support for two joysticks (gameport or emulated from USB), a real case speaker ... and a reliable floppy drive.

Last edited by MatureTech on 2014-09-28, 22:30. Edited 1 time in total.

ISA go Bragh™

Reply 21 of 105, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hardware based Wavetable\FM\SF PCI-E soundcard made by creative with support for all modern os, and not the downgrade the SB-Z series is.
Modern 25in-30in 4:3 LCD's with decent response times, and a native res of atleast 2048x1536.

Reply 22 of 105, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

- Quality and affordable CRTs that support HDMI inputs but aren't huge TVs. 4:3 ideally.
- A version of Windows 9x that supports SMP.
- Reproductions/re-release of various iconic cases from the 1990s and early 2000s from Cooler Master, Enermax, Lian-Li, Chieftec, etc.
- GeForce PCX 5800 Ultra. 😎

Reply 23 of 105, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the idea of a retro line of CRT monitors. Something average, nothing fancy. 17" or 19" max.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 25 of 105, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MS Sidewinder gameport/USB adaptor. I know there are homebrew kits out there but it would nice to have something official with modern drivers etc.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 26 of 105, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What retro computing gadget/board that doesn't currently exist would you like to have, if you could have any sort of gadget built? My vote would be for a combo RAM/EMS board or maybe vga/sound combo card that would be 8/16 bit switchable.

Switchable 8/16 EMS RAM boards exist.

There is an ET4000AX/SB Pro2 combo board as well, and I'm somewhat confident that could work in an 8-bit slot too.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 27 of 105, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- A secondary Voodoo 3 with DVI passthrough in PCI and PCIe 1x flavors

- An ISA USB 2.0 controller

- A PCI sound card with real OPL3, A3D emulation, full SBPro/16 emulation under DOS with no need for NMI, as well as the full SC-55 sample bank for General MIDI

- A VLB Voodoo 1 🤣

- A combination CRT VGA monitor/TV with selectable 15/31khz operation, support for NTSC/PAL, and inputs for everything from RF and composite, to full-blown RGB. Maybe even HDMI and a special "fake widescreen" mode with letterboxing. Max resolution in VGA/DVI/HDMI/component mode would be 1920x1440 😊 It would also have an auto-adjust feature similar to what many LCDs have.

- A kickass Pentium 3 gaming laptop with switchable onboard Voodoo 3/Geforce 4 Ti graphics, and an onboard version of my aforementioned sound card.

- An N64 with that stupid filtering disabled, and support for VGA/component/HDMI/DVI output. It would also have an insane cooling setup, and be overclocked to the point that it could comfortably do 4 players and 8 bots on Perfect Dark, at 30fps, with high-res enabled.

If I could only have one, it would probably be the CRT. I'd use it as the main hub of my battlestation. 😁 The sound card would be nice too, but there are practical alternatives.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2014-09-29, 23:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 105, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to see a sound card that made use of 2 SID chips for midi synthesis that would sound rad. 🤣
Also yeah modern CRT would be nice, I'd also like to have some sort of all in one computer case like a TSR-80 Model 4 or even the computer integrated into a keyboard like the Amiga and Commodore 64's. 🤣
(And yes I know about the Amiga 500x case, but I was less than impressed)

I would also like to see a PROPER remake of the NES that actually is FULL compatibility with all NTSC games and PAL games (Because damnit I want to play the NES version of Elite! 😜 )

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 29 of 105, by Holering

User metadata

A wavetable daughterboard with DDR2 ram slot. Would have to handle pat sets and soundfonts with a custom ROM; perhaps loadable via usb or serial with power supply, when unmounted from sound card.

EDIT:
Oh yeah and I'd also like a composite capture card. Would have to have dual 30-bit ADC's, and quad SLI 10-line comb filters with past tence compensation; have to handle 240P content too.

Reply 30 of 105, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

- An ISA USB 2.0 controller

What to do with that? ISA bus does not even have bandwidth for ONE usb 2.0 port. Actually not even half of it! And remember that it is a shared bus between all the connected devices... 😜

Also, it actually exists http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/EB1161ISA/card-senw-sml.jpg but the drivers are for another discussion 😜

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 32 of 105, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Things we will never see eh? Probably a 4:3 aspect ratio OLED monitor that has perfect CRT emulation. Otherwise I'd love to see a Mini ITX (or smaller) Pentium III mobo (440BX) with integrated Sound Blaster 16 and Roland LAPC-1 chipsets. Extra points for mSATA support as IDE, and a BIOS level .ISO and floppy image loader via USB stick.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 33 of 105, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

What retro computing gadget/board that doesn't currently exist would you like to have, if you could have any sort of gadget built? My vote would be for a combo RAM/EMS board or maybe vga/sound combo card that would be 8/16 bit switchable.

Switchable 8/16 EMS RAM boards exist.

There is an ET4000AX/SB Pro2 combo board as well, and I'm somewhat confident that could work in an 8-bit slot too.

I guess I meant the vga/sound combo card would be 8/16 bit switchable, although I suppose most will function in either slot currently. I guess what I would really like to see would be a 1/2 or 3/4 length RAM card that you could popuplate with standard 30 pin simms and put 8 or 16mb into a system, although accessing that much RAM with an 8 bit data bus paired with a 16 bit cpu would probably be slow as heck.

Reply 34 of 105, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
laxdragon wrote:

Things we will never see eh? Probably a 4:3 aspect ratio OLED monitor that has perfect CRT emulation. Otherwise I'd love to see a Mini ITX (or smaller) Pentium III mobo (440BX) with integrated Sound Blaster 16 and Roland LAPC-1 chipsets. Extra points for mSATA support as IDE, and a BIOS level .ISO and floppy image loader via USB stick.

Well there is a definite possibility that some of the expansion card type stuff could be made, although it for sure would be limited production run type stuff and cost more than any of us would want to pay. Pretty sure a custom motherboard would be too difficult for hobbyist level construction. Likewise, custom cpus or die shrinks of existing types.

Reply 36 of 105, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

- Quality and affordable CRTs that support HDMI inputs but aren't huge TVs. 4:3 ideally.

I don't mind huge 4:3 CRT, as long as it's totally flat. 😀

obobskivich wrote:

- A version of Windows 9x that supports SMP.

Same here. Imagine playing Falcon 4.0 in SMP without having to resort to Windows 2000.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 37 of 105, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An ISA FPGA card. For 16-bit socket, but with 8-bit compatibility.

For emulating whatever you like in hardware. Sound cards, video cards, with Flash memory for video/disk/network
BIOSes. It could have SD card or CF card slot as well, in addition to analog and digital audio and video outputs. And you guys just gave the idea it could have a socket for DDR memory to emulate EMS.

Does anyone know this kind of beast exists?

Reply 38 of 105, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing.... there is way to much stuff i want to have already that DOES exist!

PLEASE, don`t let them make more...... 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 39 of 105, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How about a brand new quality 486 board using the UMC chipset with 1024k 10-15ns cache and onboard CPU/video/network/sound.

......and a bios option to switch between 33MHz, 133MHz and 200MHz 😀

Onboard Video: Matrox Mystique
Onboard Sound: Creative Sound Blaster 16, Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 and Roland MT-32 with a bios switch to switch between them.
Onboard Network: NE2000

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=