VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 105, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Hot swap IDE to CF adapters
- A modern case with a battle tank like the build quality of an Asus T5 or T10 with a 400+ watts power supply with -5V.
- A display adapter, having Voodoo2 SLI + Matrox Millenium II, S3Trio64, and something like an nVidia TI 4200 on a single card, preferably with 64-128 MB RAM, software switchable from one GPU to other. It should come in both PCI and AGP flavors.
- 386 ATX board with SDRAM sockets and onboard multi I/O

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 61 of 105, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would also like a USB to DB15 GAMEPORT adapter.
Not DB15 to USB, those already exist. I'd like to be able to use a quality Arcade stick in DOS, getting to the point I'm thinking of gutting some 6-button DB15 pad, and making my own.

Reply 62 of 105, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Mainstream acceptance would be absolutely cool, but I think I'd have to go with CRVDisc or LV-ROM myself - if it's cool enough for James Bond, it's cool enough for me. 😁

🤣 very true

Reply 65 of 105, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Okay sliderider, you win!

(And I also want a time machine. Just imagine the possibilities 😎 🤣 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 66 of 105, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I read your machine description. Is this thing 3/4 length, though, or full length? Even if it fits my length requirements, it probably is impossible to find.

You are correct, mine is longer than 3/4 length. However, there is a similar product made by Acculogic called "RAMPAT! PLUS" that is 1/2 length and supports 16MB EMS using four 30 pin SIMMs. I believe there may have been a similar one from Kingston as well.

http://artofhacking.com/th99/i/A-B/52462.htm

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 67 of 105, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Okay sliderider, you win!

(And I also want a time machine. Just imagine the possibilities 😎 🤣 ).

You could go back in time and kill Bill Gates before he founds Microsoft. 😀

Reply 68 of 105, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 That would be nice, but then windows 98 would never have happened and man it would suck to have never used windows 98. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 70 of 105, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, it just came into my mind. How about a....

...a speed-adjustable Windows version that is fully, perfectly, and completely backward compatible with virtually any DOS and Windows 9x applications?

Why do we build vintage system, if not for the lack of backward compatibility with older apps, which in turn primarily caused by the O/S? Consider this: if Windows XP is fully backward compatible with all Win9x games, why bother building a Windows 98 legacy system? I play MDK - an early Windows 95 game - flawlessly on Windows XP, with nVidia Tesla-generation GPU and i5 processor. If XP is backward compatible with all Windows 9x games, not just MDK, then I'll have little incentive to build a Win9x legacy system.

Of course, nVidia is notorious for breaking backward compatibility with older games, while ATi (now AMD) is also notorious for breaking backward compatibility when AA is activated, and yeah, CPU speed is a problem sometimes. But isn't it the O/S that has the biggest contribution to backward compatibility problems? Can you play Neverwinter Nights 1 on Windows 7 64 bit without hassles?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 72 of 105, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpooferJahk wrote:

Probably already been said, but I would kill for a modern 3DFX card just to see what new rad art they create for a modern card.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.1 … 641&ns=1#detail

Reply 73 of 105, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2fort5r wrote:

It's not in MS interest to have old software run well in their current OS.

Uh, not true. MS puts lots of time, resources, etc into making sure old software runs on newer operating systems - it's where things like WOW, MED-V, VPC, etc come from. They derive a lot of their desktop sales from business customers, who need such functionality. And they do a much better job than competitors like Apple or Novell who are fine with completely breaking hardware/software support for large swaths of machines in a single update/release. Old, non-gaming applications, tend to be very well supported in Windows, especially if you stop and think about how much is changing under the hood. Games tend to break for a variety of reasons - the majority of them rest on the developer's shoulders though (e.g. unable (out of business) or unwilling (don't perceive interest in title) to release updates/patches/refreshes/etc of the application). There's plenty of older games that *do* work on fairly new Windows systems at that - IME the "shortlist of shame" is pretty short. 😊

Reply 75 of 105, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:
SpooferJahk wrote:

Probably already been said, but I would kill for a modern 3DFX card just to see what new rad art they create for a modern card.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.1 … 641&ns=1#detail

They would get my money if they had a 780 but still, that's pretty rad.

Reply 76 of 105, by MatureTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Why do we build vintage system, if not for the lack of backward compatibility with older apps, which in turn primarily caused by the O/S?

Also caused by the killing of ISA on the hardware side.

ISA go Bragh™

Reply 78 of 105, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Something else I've thought of: a motherboard with multiple AGP slots.

Late to the party 🤣 Prototype Micron Samurai DDR (Pentium 3) chipset based motherboard:

03.jpg

Samurai-DDR-Diagram.gif

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 79 of 105, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
Late to the party :lol: Prototype Micron Samurai DDR (Pentium 3) chipset based motherboard: […]
Show full quote
obobskivich wrote:

Something else I've thought of: a motherboard with multiple AGP slots.

Late to the party 🤣 Prototype Micron Samurai DDR (Pentium 3) chipset based motherboard:

03.jpg

Samurai-DDR-Diagram.gif

YES! 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto