VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A judge has ruled that if you lock your phone with a fingerprint, that the police can force you to unlock it. If you use a passcode, they can't.

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/11/03/judge-rules-po … -can-stop-them/

Reply 3 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

Alternatively, lock your phone with your fingerprint, but don't strangle your girlfriend.

That isn't the point, and you know it. The point is whether you're doing anything wrong or not, a police officer can demand you unlock your phone if it uses biotechnology to lock it. That sounds a lot like an unreasonable (and warrantless) search and seizure to me.

Reply 5 of 9, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ True shit right there. 🤣

Seriously though, I don't own any mobile devices either. Hell I didn't even get the internet until 2013. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6 of 9, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The judge was right to do so. The passcode is the private information you do not have to tell in court as you don't have to incriminate yourself. the fingerprint, on the other hand, is made public the moment you become a crime suspect. Actually, I do not believe there is no way to get access to the phone without access code/fingerprints.

btw, I used to lock my laptop with fingerprint. Took 5-6 failed attempts before I could unlock it 😁 Now I don't lock any of my devices, my cellphone is a humble series 40 Nokia, not much to lock there. And besides, I see no point in strangling my girlfriend, she's a nice girl 😀

P.S. My friend's little brother used to lock his laptop by licking the fingerprint scanner with his tongue 😜

Reply 7 of 9, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

P.S. My friend's little brother used to lock his laptop by licking the fingerprint scanner with his tongue 😜

Lol, that's damn hilarious!

Anyway, I just use a pattern on my android. I usually keep my phone on me all the time so unless I loose it ill be fine. And I don't strangle people usually.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 8 of 9, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

The judge was right to do so. The passcode is the private information you do not have to tell in court as you don't have to incriminate yourself. the fingerprint, on the other hand, is made public the moment you become a crime suspect. Actually, I do not believe there is no way to get access to the phone without access code/fingerprints.

I agree it is correct that he has to provide fingerprints, but I can't agree that the police should then be able to search the phone without a warrant. Recent Supreme Court precedent is that warrants are needed to search phones.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.