VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is well known that modern video adapters no longer perform dithering in 16-bit modes, which causes banding to appear.

I just experienced a curious Glitch that rendered Half-Life in true color. I tried normal Half-Life and the Uplink demo level usign the OpenGL renderer. No mods, no steam, no nothing.

Reference with dithering, ATI something.

half-life_uplink_s.jpg

nVidia GT 610.

half-life_uplink_nvidia_s.jpg

nVidia GT 610 in True Color.

half-life_uplink_nvidia_32bit_s.jpg

The glitch occurs when the video apdater gets in a state where it cannot switch display modes after a long uptime. It is fixed by a reboot, and not interesting as a problem. Trying to switch the mode via Display Properties gives a message that a reboot is required. The Half-Life 640*480 main menu appears in the corner of the screen, and later the game seems to inherint the video mode of the Windows desktop. It was clearly visible on dark doors, or these red walls.

I had to take a screenshot with IrfanView, because Print Screen copied a corrupted picture. That is why it is not exactly aligned to the previous frames.

This experience suggests that it might be possible to upscale some games "by driver" in a relatively simple manner, kinda like we can add anisotropic and antiliasing. I would of course still prefer dithering sparkle to make low detail textures appear richer.

Reply 1 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also do that with detail textures that go over the classic ones.
Half Life mapping community since the past few years has gotten richer compile tools that enable mappers to controll light and texture display really well.

Here are some example pictures from a mapper named Trempler:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SPOILER: -32bpp. Half-Life supports it and happened to 'fall back' to it

BTW for dithering there's always the magic of pixel shaders 😁

Attachments

• 3dfxfiltered.png
    Filename
    3dfxfiltered.png
    File size
    353.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • dithered.png
    Filename
    dithered.png
    File size
    243.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Indeed Half-Life does support 32-bit mode. I did not know about it. COOL!! They have hidden all the good stuff (grrr), which also includes trilinear filtering (gl_texturemode). Good, future-proof engine.

hldemo.exe (Uplink) does not respond to this parameter, and a full text search over the directory shows no reference of it.

My system has fixed itself, and I am not able to try any other games. I suppose they might need to 'support' true color mode in order to work. OpenGL games overall don't seem to give as much grief as old Direct3D.

Reply 4 of 4, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use the full version of Half-Life to play Uplink. Copy the uplink folder and activate it in the Custom game menu or run it by a shortcut (hl.exe -32bpp -game uplink). 😀

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111