Common searches

The Parts Store Experience

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... I don't remember them being there, but obviously they were. Unfortunately I don't remember much about that mall anymore, I just remember it being shaped like a giant "Z", the dumbest mall layout ever. 😀 The walking distances were marketed as "healthy exercise."
I believe Computer City was at a far end, at least it seems that way in my memory. I would estimate it was around 1996-97 or so. I moved away from the area in 1998, and by then I think Computer City was gone but I don't know who took their place.
I wonder if Circuit City moved into the same location after Computer City left. Was Circuit City already there in ~96, or was it later?

I just did a quick google search and it looks like maybe that's what happened. Somebody on a wikipedia talk page thinks so anyway:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AGurnee_Mills

Anyway it was an impressive store, I agree. I was fond of it, the salespeople (under Computer City ownership) just mildly bugged me.
I didn't see anything bigger until CDW showed up, and I don't even remember what town that was in. I think I was only there once before moving.

Reply 21 of 22, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the giant Z is a real pain in the ass. 🤣

You should have seen it after the market bubble of '08, it was a total ghost town. Around then is when Circuit city closed down iirc.
Now the mall seems to be recovering and getting some people in there, but last time I was in there a lot of the store slots were still empty (that was around Xmas of last year).

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 22 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maximus wrote:

I'm young as retroheads go, so my memories are a little hazy. However, I do remember CompUSA and Fry's Electronics being good brick and mortar sources for computer parts. CompUSA went out of business years ago, and Fry's is a depressing husk of its former self. Even Best Buy (a misnomer, IMO) seems to be struggling lately.

I remember going to Fry's and being very impressed by a 9800 Pro running the chimp demo. Good times.

I remember when CompUSA went belly up and sadly one of the last remaining parts stores in central Texas is closing for the last time on the 31st 😢 So there goes one of my best cheap sources for semi retro cases and cooling gear as well stock for my laptop business.

Goodwill Computer Works in Waco TX is being closed by Austin Goodwill due to financial problems with the Austin store and their reasoning is it is easier to fire four people instead of twelve even though the Waco store has always been very profitable. So for those in the area better mop up what you can before the end of the year!

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.