File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Picture provided by sister's phone.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 9, by grev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Shot down in-action or other unlucky circumstances? Any particular mission?

I killed some saitek rudder pedals not-in-action but rather by putting my weight on both pedals while adjusting my position in my chair. Had a 2y/o destroy an old joystick while running around the house trying to be "like daddy" which I call BS on because I never run around the house joystick in hand.

Reply 2 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that just the plastic "shell" part that you hold onto separating from the actual "stick" part that actuates the thing? If so you could probably re-attach it - I'm seeing lots of super glue and some creative drilling in your future if that's the case.

Reply 3 of 9, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was actually in the middle of the third mission when my joystick went "snap" on me. I actually exited the game before I got shot down, but I consider It a loss 🙁 If I'd been in a real X-Wing, I would have been pretty useless at that point. A ship moving in a straight line makes a ridiculously easy target.

Superglue and creative drilling might be able to fix it.... But while the springs are good, the pots aren't. The thing is 20 years old after all. I'm just getting a new (ok, used but new to me,) one. I'm actually getting a Thrustmaster Mk 1 & WCS Mk II combo for a very good price. I understand that most of the parts are interchangeable (the Thrustmaster & Top Gun that is,) so I can replace bad with good 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 4 of 9, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man don't you clean your joysticks in between use? That thing is dusty as hell.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 5 of 9, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote:

Man don't you clean your joysticks in between use? That thing is dusty as hell.

Most of what you see as "dust" is actually smoke staining... Until a year ago, I was a 2 pack a day smoker. Ran a tissue over the entire surface just now. Some dust was collected, but not nearly what you are suggesting it would collect. Barely visible actually.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FeedingDragon wrote:

If I'd been in a real X-Wing, I would have been pretty useless at that point.

Eject Porkins, EJECT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGwYj4AqB6Q

His joystick broke, too. 🙁

Reply 7 of 9, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does exiting to DOS count as ejecting?

The sad thing is, I really liked that joystick. I've replaced it's springs, one of the pot, and the hat needed some work. I was in the middle of looking into how to fix that when this happens. I've had it for around 20 years (not sure exactly how long, early to mid 90's I think.) But it died a heroic death in the end.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 9 of 9, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the replacement parts have arrived. Only 20 credits plus smuggler fees. My X-Wing will fly once more. I will be honoring it's predecessor's wishes, and it's organ's will be harvested for transplants. It will then be given a full military funeral with honors.

Repair Bay.png
Filename
Repair Bay.png
File size
356.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Translation:
Got the new joystick (with extras) in today. $20 + shipping 😀 I'll be removing the replaced POT and springs from my old joystick, and all the other parts that are still working well. The military honors remain the same, it was a noble instrument and served me well for ~20 years. Going to have to relearn to fly though. Not used to have the WCS, and the resistance on the new stick is a lot lower than on the old one. Considering my advancing years, that is probably a good thing though (the not-so-tight movement, that is.) Going to have to find the software for these things somewhere.

Hmmmm. It seems the camera I didn't know my phone had is not all that bad.... Also, the guy that sold me the sticks threw in some extras he had laying around as a Christmas bonus. So I'm also the proud owner of a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI, an EZ-Media EZ-8738-6C PCI Audio, and a PC ProPad 4 Gameport Gamepad I'll probably be selling (eventually.)

Feeding Dragon