VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys! I found out I'm getting a 61 key yamaha keyboard for christmas so I figured id set up some way to record it. I was thinking about using a tape recorder but then I realized I could just take my older 2008 machine, slap a 2-3 tb hdd in it and install audacity and fill it up with songs. What do you guys think is the best route for me? I'd like to make a mixture of 90's underground techno and some 80's dance/new wave. Maybe throw in a little new sounds. I just got audacity on my fedora machine, what other software do you guys think I might need? Thanks

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 2 of 5, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One other piece of hardware you might want to get is a USB audio interface like this Behringer module. That will allow you to record directly from the line out on your keyboard. (You'd probably also need a 1/4" stereo to left/right RCA cable.)

I have one of those Behringer gizmos, and I've never seen it fail to work on Ubuntu. Should work with Fedora as well.

EDIT: just realized you might have a line-in on your sound card... that would work as well.

EDIT EDIT: For making drum tracks, check out Hydrogen.

PCGames9505

Reply 3 of 5, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, I'm downloading hydrogen. I dont think that the kb im getting has midi ports on it. Could I just use the RCA stereo cable on the aux out port on the kb to my sound card and record w/ audacity?

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 4 of 5, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heres the keyboard im getting on amazon:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F07YC4S/r … pf_rd_i=desktop

Reply 5 of 5, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahendricks18 wrote:

Could I just use the RCA stereo cable on the aux out port on the kb to my sound card and record w/ audacity?

Sure, as long as your sound card has line in and not just microphone in. Most (all?) discrete sound cards have line in; integrated cards often do not, hence the need for the Behringer module.

It looks like your keyboard supports MIDI through its USB port. No idea if that will work out of the box on Linux. I've never found a good MIDI sequencer for Linux, though, so you might want to try it out on Windows with the Jazz++ Midi Sequencer.

Jazz++ could very well work with Wine. Would be worth testing.

PCGames9505