VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, accidentally, some crumpled wax from a candle has fallen into my CRT TV through the holes on the case. Can it somehow damage the TV, say, melt? It happened about a year ago and the TV runs OK but I'm still worried as I really like this particular TV and don't want it to fail because of my stupidity.

Reply 1 of 4, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in the 90's cat peed on my crt tv. it doesn't do any good to crt if something go inside wich doesn't belong in there. I would imagine that fire hazard increases if not nothing else. Try to keep it as much dust free as you can and i think it's worth of asking a professional to clean it if You really want to use that tv. I wouldn't try to clean it myself.

And that cat-peed-tv... I didn't know what was wrong and hauled it to service. Guy called next day and told me that there was something liquid on the mb that is dryed and somehow crystalized. I immediatly knew what was going on and aborted that service. Never even picked that tv from service. Just bought new one and sterilized that darn cat 😁 Well, I learned from that mistake that I never ever keep anything on my crts and keep pets off of them as good as I can...

Reply 3 of 4, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wax is an insulator, right?
Even if melted, I wouldn't expect it to cause a short.
Wikipedia says paraffin wax starts to melt at 37C (99F)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin_wax
I'm pretty sure my CRT's got hotter than that inside.

If the CRT had a problem with some component overheating, the wax might ignite.
But temperature of combustion seems to be a lot higher than of melting
http://www.shamrockaffiliations.ws/Paraffin_W … lash_Points.php

Reply 4 of 4, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

they might get hot enough to melt it. but, wax is an insulator. if any thing it could just give some of the components inside some extra insulation. at worst it will attract extra dust. my buddy had the same thing happen to his computer's motherboard, it still works fine.

EDIT: i've seen waxes used with cherry red hot metal with blow torches, no fire just some smoke. if the CRT is hot enough to ignite the wax you will have other problems first, like actual flames/fire.