VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

does anyone know what i have to do to be able to access network shares on a windows 8.1 computer from a windows 98se computer?
I'm able to access a share which lies on a 98SE computer from a computer with 8.1 but not the other direction.

win98se asks for a password for the IPC$ share, it seems that it is not able to ask for a user name as well...

thanks for any advices!

Reply 1 of 5, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you added a system user to the Win Eight box with the name equal to the login used on Win98? I have never had the system ask for a user name. It just keeps using whatever I logged on at boot time.

Reply 2 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98 uses NTLM1 passowrds, while Windows vista (and later) will refuse anything below NTLM2. There is a group policy that enables NLTM1 that works on Vista and 7, but I don't know if it still exists on Windows 8.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did the following so my Win7 could access my NT4 box
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/w … itpronetworking

I still need to enter login details when accessing the a Win7 share and it seems to work when the account has a password so I just created another user account on the Win7 PC and everything works fine, Im guessing 8 would be basiclly the same

Reply 5 of 5, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have to disable Homegroups and then play around with the settings like change it to compatibility with 40-bit encryption and non-protected network shares. It's in the Networking section of Control Panel.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png