VOGONS

Common searches

sc88 sound

Topic actions

First post, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys i am trying to pick up a sc88 from local market but i have no idea what a good deal is.
What is this hw worth?

Reply 2 of 11, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bids are 60 euro atm, but i dont know what i should bid max.

Also looking to buy a roland u-220 or a jv-880 any thoughts between these?
They are listed 40 to 50 euro' are they any good.?

Reply 6 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

tbh 80eur is a fine price for a SC-55 device.
the SC-88 is a better device (has SC-55 MK2 fallback mode) but don't expect to use the extra features in games... most of the times you'll spend having the SC-88 in 55 mode.
Around 100eur is a fair price for a SC-88, more if it's a PRO version .

If you want to hear some SC-88 tunes I have some recordings here (using my SC-8820 in 88/88pro modes): https://soundcloud.com/keropi666

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 11, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:

Bids are 60 euro atm, but i dont know what i should bid max.

Also looking to buy a roland u-220 or a jv-880 any thoughts between these?
They are listed 40 to 50 euro' are they any good.?

JV-880 has some great sounds, but does not support GM at all and can only use 8 MIDI channels, making it fairly useless for GM games. With my JV-880 I got a U-110 for free: it's the most boring "synth" ever, no effects/filters, and also suffers from 8-channel limit with no GM support.

If you're going the JV route I can recommend the JV-1010: it sounds awesome, takes all 16 channels, and supports GM. Includes memory for 128 user patches too, which allow you to make your own GM-compatible sound bank 😉

Reply 9 of 11, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about the U-220 can you use it with pc also? otherwise i need it for the keyboard i have.
What about a Korg X5DR for about 50 eur a good deal?

How can i see these devices support many channels? i thought multitimbre device was able to.
Or at least the spec showing Polyphony - 28 voices etc.
How can i notice what can be used on pc also?

Reply 10 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

So, if I can get SC-55 (not MKII) for 50ish euro, that's also good?

that would be a great deal.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 11, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

U-220 seems to be an upgraded version of U-110. Still just a box built around a ROM chip with boring sound samples. Not much editing capability and still no filters.

That Korg X5DR seems cool though, for €50 I'd grab it!

Specs to look for are GM/GS/XG/MT32 compatibility (for use with game music, of course). "Polyphony" is how many sounds the synth can mix together, "multitimbrality" is how many different sounds it can produce simultaneously 😉