VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't remember if I told you this... you had asked me this:

In the meantime, please ask Trixter to allow for Amiga/Atari ST entries. When MobyGames started up, there was a specific disclaimer that only "PC" titles would be covered. Then they started displaying Playstation and other console titles.

"Trixter" (Jim Leonard) sent me this a week or two ago:

No, the specific disclaimer was that we were only going to be focusing on PC for the first year or so because that was what we knew. We're just about ready to unveil Amiga, actually, so tell your friend to sit tight for a month. He may have noticed we've opened up SNES, Genesis, and Atari Jaguar. All things in good time...

FYI: MobyGames currently supports the following platforms to submit under:
Booter, DOS, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Game Boy, Nintendo Game Boy Advance, Nintendo Game Boy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Sega Genesis, Atari Jaguar, Linux, Nintendo Nintendo 64, Sony PlayStation, Sony PlayStation 2, Nintendo SNES, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Windows 3.x, and Microsoft Xbox.

(Booter, for those who don't know, refers to this: Many early PC software titles between 1981 and 1988 came on a 5.25" disk and booted directly. "Booted directly" means that you stuck the disk in drive A: and turned on the machine, and the custom operating system on the diskette took over, booted the computer, and ran the program. The diskette was not formatted with DOS, did not require DOS, and was not even readable by DOS! Attempts to read the diskette return the familiar "Abort, Retry, Ignore" message.)

Also, if you enjoy Jim's work at MobyGames, check out his current project, DemoDVD! (http://www.demodvd.org/) It's really cool!
Description here: http://www.demodvd.org/overview

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I'm depressed, nothing by Orion? 'the fuck's up with that? IMO, their "Purple" demo was great, if not kinda, err, not demo-ish.

And no VIP2? Dear lord! Who're the people requesting this stuff? Not from the demoscene or something? Or is this all just supposed to be old-skool?

Demoshow is one of the best demo compilations I've ever seen. Check it out.

And now I have managed to *completely* displace this thread to something not even closely resembling emulation (which is what this specific forum was made for -- stuff NOT dealing with emulation -- but...yeah).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 3, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, email Trixter about it. All the info's right there at DemoDVD. However, I think they're awfully close to "going gold."

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Can't remember if I told you this... you had asked me this:

Yes, I got your earlier message.

"Trixter" (Jim Leonard) sent me this a week or two ago:
No, the specific disclaimer was that we were only going to be focusing on PC for the first year or so because that was what we knew. We're just about ready to unveil Amiga, actually, so tell your friend to sit tight for a month. He may have noticed we've opened up SNES, Genesis, and Atari Jaguar. All things in good time...

Well, I don't recall a first year disclaimer, just a PC-only category. I did see expansion into the console arena. Just a little miffed that every console under the sun got priority over Amiga's and Mac's.

One thing I'm curious about is "duplicate titles". Sometimes these could vary quite a bit between system versions ("King's Quest V for the NES, for example). Other times, there's little to no variation at all ("King's Quest III" for Amiga).

Whomever puts in the text for thses should make a small comment: "King's Quest V for the NES is a complete remake for the NES and plays dramatically different from the original for the PC." or "The Amiga version of King's Quest III is virtually identical to it's PC counterpart with the exception of the mouse interface added on."