VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by slipkord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mods, please be gentle, if posting this is against the rules, sorry in advance...

Hi everyone,

I was last active on VOGONS roughly 6 years ago - and by that I mean, I haven't even lurked during that whole time. In short, I was doing a lot of things that kept me busy during that period... and I haven't touched my vintage / retro computer gaming hobby in that whole time. And that's what's driven me to come here to VOGONS again, logging for the first time in roughly 6 years, to ask for advice from members.

In the near and foreseeable future, I don't think I can resume my former vintage/retro computer gaming hobby 😢 As a result, I have a collection of vintage/retro computer equipment and PC games that I want to sell, as the cash from that could really help me in my situation. The added complication is that I have limited window of time to sell/get rid of these... ideally in the next couple of weeks(!)

I've read this sticky and it seems that VOGONS is no longer a marketplace for buying/trading/selling between members. Point taken.

I tried reading through this eBay thread as well - its a lot of pages to look at, which I don't have time for.

These are the questions I have off the top of my head:

1) Where I could sell my vintage gear / games apart from eBay? Is eBay still the best place overall for me to get decent prices for stuff I'm wanting to sell (exposure, numbers of buyers, etc.)? Or is there a third-party blog, forum, website that sellers of vintage gear go to, particularly VOGONS members or other retro/vintage computing gear collectors?

2) For starters, I have a Roland MPU-401AT (boxed, cable, manual, ISA card unit) - I tried searching 'mpu-401at' in Search, came up with nothing. I also tried searching for listings on eBay... I see MPU-401 but not MPU-401AT. So I'm a bit hazy on what price can be fetched for my MPU-401AT these days...

3) I have other gear I'm rummaging through at the moment, I'll update this when I get organized, e.g. more Roland stuff, vintage soundcards,

4) On a related note, I have boxes and boxes of discs and boxed copies of many classic, rare PC games. Again, is eBay the best place for me to try and sell these?

I'd really appreciate advice regarding the above. Feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the good news is that a lot of hardware has gone up in price. But a quick sell is going to hurt you. Ideally sell everything individually on eBay for the most profit. Buyers will be looking to get a bulk deal. So you got to decide what matters.

Anything from Roland, Gravis, 3dfx should sell well. Time is really against you as you should spend some time evaluating what items are worth.

You can do this in eBay by using the advanced search which allows looking for sold items. That should get you an idea.

Selling outside of eBay means the selling price will be lower but you also don't pay fees. The other issue is with testing all your gear. This will consume a lot of your time so also something to consider.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 9, by slipkord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the response. So eBay sounds like my best bet then? I haven't sold anything on eBay for several years, again I feel really rusty on the do's and don'ts...

For example, with the MPU-401AT, should I set it to $0.99 as a starting auction price? Or do sellers of this type of gear tend to put a Buy It Now price at a certain amount (hence my earlier question as to what prices do these fetch these days)...?

Reply 3 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think eBay has matured a bit with sellers being more professional. As for the price, I wouldn't have a clue. That's what I mean with you got to do your research and that it will take time.

$1 auctions should work well for popular items. Lots of others here with eBay experience so there should be more tips incoming.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with Phil on doing some research on sold items to get a rough idea of what you should ask for a given device. As far as asking prices - I tend to see set BINs or BIN+OBO as more common than the "old school" $0.99-and-up auction model. If it were me, in my entirely unscientific opinion, I'd figure out what a reasonable price is for X gear and set the BIN slightly higher (like maybe 5-10%) and throw OBO on it and see what you get. Agreed that 3dfx, Roland, Gravis, etc stuff will sell well as long as you don't overprice it (for example there are some 3dfx cards that've been languishing on ebay for the last few months because the sellers want hilarious money for them).

No idea about the old games thing - something I've noticed recently is that a lot of older games are starting to become available through digital download like GOG, Steam, Origin, etc and that's really dropping prices. Basically the only selling-point you've got is if the packaging is in good shape, assuming the games you're selling have become digitally available, and selling the games as collectables. You'd have to do research to determine how this does or does not affect you though.

If you want to go non-ebay, I've seen Amibay mentioned a number of times here, but never tried it myself. I'm also guessing depending on where you live in the world, Craigslist may actually be viable, especially for large items like CRTs, arcade cabinets, etc that are a pain to ship. I would also expect variou games or gaming hardware to be fairly easy to sell locally if you live in or near a large city. You may also look for a used videogames shop - some of them are pretty decent in terms of what they'll pay for hardware/software, and it would be much more straight-forwards to just show up with a big carton of stuff and sell it all there vs individual sales online. Of course you won't make absolute most money, but you have to factor in how much your time is worth and such.

Reply 5 of 9, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MPU-401AT: $150 to $250. It depends on condition / with box, manual, MIDI cables, stickers or not. It also depends on demand and supply and whether you ship globally. RU is out of commission somewhat because of the RUB crashing. That used to be a big $ spending market.

Other Roland really depends as well. Demand seems a bit weaker lately but maybe it will pick up again. Maybe SoftMPU plays a role: maybe not.

I always recommend listing your inventory and pictures on Google Drive or something similar and creating for sale ads on AmiBay / Vintage Computer Forum / CPU World / Quest Studios / Talk Retro / Old Computers.net / Roland Clans / DOS forum.de / Classic Computing.org and eBay / Bonanza / Craigslist obviously.

Reply 6 of 9, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amibay is a great place or even Vintage Computer Forums. Of course eBay will get a lot of attention on your items and a Roland MPU-401AT auction will end up selling upwards of 100$ specially because its boxed and includes everything.

I'm looking for some items myself, MPU-401AT is out of my price range for the moment, but i advise you to get your stuff listed and at least give us a list of stuff here so we can keep our eyes open for the stuff you have. For instance, i'm looking for an original dual OPL2 Mediavision Pro Audio Spectrum.

Reply 7 of 9, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Amibay is a great place or even Vintage Computer Forums. Of course eBay will get a lot of attention on your items and a Roland MPU-401AT auction will end up selling upwards of 100$ specially because its boxed and includes everything.

Amibay is completely Euro-centric. Also good luck trying to buy or sell old PC gear there. Hope you like getting lumped into the 'Other' category, along with everything from new hardware to video game consoles to smartphones and TVs.

VCF is better, but there isn't much demand for post-486 stuff, and practically none post-Pentium.

Since he's selling eBay might be his best bet, but it's also solely responsible for the ridiculous inflation in the vintage computer market. People looking to sell a given piece of gear go on there, sort by 'Price - highest first,' see that some jackass like wiredforservice is charging a mint for it, and think "hurr, ah'm sittin on a gold mine!"
Kind of sucks if you grew up garbage picking this shit for free. It's up to you if you want to support that.

Reply 8 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found Amibay pretty cosmopolitan, though it's certainly less US-biased than say VCF or nekochan, but that probably reflects it being amiga-based and the amiga sold better in europe There's also quite a few threads selling piles of old PC gear live on there atm, seemingly pretty active.

Some good deals around on there too, but equally some very high selling prices for some items, no doubt inspired by ebay but who can blame them - sometimes the stuff sells at that.

Reply 9 of 9, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
slipkord wrote:
Mods, please be gentle, if posting this is against the rules, sorry in advance... […]
Show full quote

Mods, please be gentle, if posting this is against the rules, sorry in advance...

Hi everyone,

I was last active on VOGONS roughly 6 years ago - and by that I mean, I haven't even lurked during that whole time. In short, I was doing a lot of things that kept me busy during that period... and I haven't touched my vintage / retro computer gaming hobby in that whole time. And that's what's driven me to come here to VOGONS again, logging for the first time in roughly 6 years, to ask for advice from members.

In the near and foreseeable future, I don't think I can resume my former vintage/retro computer gaming hobby 😢 As a result, I have a collection of vintage/retro computer equipment and PC games that I want to sell, as the cash from that could really help me in my situation. The added complication is that I have limited window of time to sell/get rid of these... ideally in the next couple of weeks(!)

I've read this sticky and it seems that VOGONS is no longer a marketplace for buying/trading/selling between members. Point taken.

I tried reading through this eBay thread as well - its a lot of pages to look at, which I don't have time for.

These are the questions I have off the top of my head:

1) Where I could sell my vintage gear / games apart from eBay? Is eBay still the best place overall for me to get decent prices for stuff I'm wanting to sell (exposure, numbers of buyers, etc.)? Or is there a third-party blog, forum, website that sellers of vintage gear go to, particularly VOGONS members or other retro/vintage computing gear collectors?

2) For starters, I have a Roland MPU-401AT (boxed, cable, manual, ISA card unit) - I tried searching 'mpu-401at' in Search, came up with nothing. I also tried searching for listings on eBay... I see MPU-401 but not MPU-401AT. So I'm a bit hazy on what price can be fetched for my MPU-401AT these days...

3) I have other gear I'm rummaging through at the moment, I'll update this when I get organized, e.g. more Roland stuff, vintage soundcards,

4) On a related note, I have boxes and boxes of discs and boxed copies of many classic, rare PC games. Again, is eBay the best place for me to try and sell these?

I'd really appreciate advice regarding the above. Feel free to PM me as well.

Thanks in advance!

Overclock.net if you have enough rep. also hardforums, also maybe racketboy forums. If we had more useres here on OCN with enough rep to use the various sections i'd sell more my self and or do giveaways.