VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nottah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy! Nottah here with probably a whole slew of questions.

I was trying to get my retro groove on and had went out and found an old Pavilion 4540
Had a tiny ( by today's standards) 8 gig harddrive and a 433mhz celeron. Let me tell you, it was a pain to get in and out of that case. Need very tiny hands 😀

However it just didn't have the oomph I was hoping for. Let me give you a bit of gaming backstory.

I am 43 years old but didn't really mess with a pc till I was in my early twenties. First system was a packard bell legend 10cd something, and the first game I played on it was a pack in game called Megarace. It was very cool. Also I screwed around with AOL, compuserve and prodigy. Now first things first, this was a rental PC, from rent-a-center or something to that fashion and I was paying for it weekly. I grabbed a few issues of PC gamer which came with the 3.5 floppies and that was the extent of my gaming introduction. I do remember wanting to upgrade the ram and walmart had like 4 megs for some obscene amount of money. So that was the end of my PC gaming career, mainly because I got a girlfriend and discovered beer. 😀

Next stage of gaming, I inherited an old PC, well maybe not that old then.It was around the time when mechwarrior 3 came out and I was playing one of the quakes. I was browsing in a walmart one day and picked up a huge box that said Voodoo on it,and it had fancy pictures on the back so I shelled out what ever obscene amount of beer money I had and promptly went home to install it. Fired up quake and it look like total crap! I thought I had did something wrong with the install. Then I noticed the in-game settings. I toggle a few settings and saw something that said hardware under graphics. Let me tell you, it was like I could see for the first time, difference was like night and day. That's when I got bit with gaming bug. So I started playing MechWarrior 3 (which I played with a Joystick and a mouse.. at the SAME TIME) and went out and bought that huge Starsiege box and played nonstop. Then another girlfriend.. and more beer (sense a pattern)

Anyhow the main reason I want to build a supa sweet Win98 machine is to fill in the gaps. I mean I remember the last part of 98 days a little but my gaming really took off with winxp. Then it was Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat over LAN, Jedi outcast (first one I played in the series) I played SWG from beta to the stupid NGE and lots of diablo 2.

Looking back over the years I see a whole lot of gaming history I should get acquainted with, mainly because, A. Single and B. Don't drink anymore. So more money for a hobby. Apologize for the long Intro , just allow me to pull up a chair or maybe that couch over in the corner and get something accomplished.

Next post will be in Marvin with a few questions about all the gear I acquired.. from one person! Looks good!

Reply 1 of 4, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome to Vogons 😀

Good thing you are going to ask in Marvin about your newly acquired Pavilion, then you avoid the biggest newbie mistake here 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome. I'm kind of similar, more or less giving up drinking but Because of a girl 😉
Rekon this is a real good hobby. Even top of the range parts can mostly be found for cheap if compared to current generation hardware and the way I look at it is even if I spend £20 on something worth half that £20 down the pub lasts a night, £20 on a bit of hardware will give many nights entertainment.

Reply 3 of 4, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome! From the spec sheets that HP does not look like a bad retro machine. Max the ram out, drop a Pentium 2 or 3 in there (whatever is supported) new enough that it should not have a problem with large drives. Heck even the Rage ll graphics are not terribly bad. I have a pci Rage ll that I keep around as a test card that was a great pair with a Pentium 233 machine back in the day.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1