Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pewpewpew wrote:

It was definitely a distant third-place after PC and Mac;

It was quite popular here in the late 80s to early 90s, as was the Atari ST to some degree.
PCs didn't really take over until 1993-1994 I guess.

pewpewpew wrote:

You guys had more of a scene dedicated to pushing the last ounce of those machines, as I recall.

What do you mean 'had'? 😀
There's still quite a bit of activity in the C64 and Amiga scenes. Check out some of the latest releases on http://pouet.net for example.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 21 of 28, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an A500 last year, I've been doing a lot of work on it. Upgraded it to Kickstart 3.1 and installed a recently made 8MB RAM + CompactFlash card. Love it! My only problem so far is that it's a Revision 5 and can only address 512k of Chip RAM without a hardware mod that I'm too skittish to do right now. So there are a lot of games and demos that need 1MB Chip that I can't play yet. I also need a real monitor, a 1084 or whatnot -- I'm converting to VGA with a GBS-8200 board and while it works pretty well for NTSC, it gets a little screwier with PAL resolutions (weird spots on the screen, missing sprites, etc)

The Amiga was always an interesting but mysterious system to me. I really appreciate that its Europe-centric popularity has given it a significantly different feel than other computers.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 22 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

^ most likely the A1200 troubles are because of failing caps, a very very common issue. You add expansions and you stress the machine more and it craps out. Or the expansions are busted.

Good point, that was probably it, if I only knew back then... It gave me tons of headaches!

Reply 23 of 28, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i never had one as a kid but always wanted one, especially when i had a apple 2. the boxes for apple 2 games sometimes showed amiga graphics and i was always jealous, no one i knew ever had an amiga..

last year i began my quest to buy one...

i scored 2 amiga 2000;s fully decked out, an amiga 2500, an a3000 (dead), 3 amiga 4000's, and a dead amiga 1000, on top of that i scored a Raptor 3 DEC alpha box, which i sold...

i still have most of it, all the systems were used for video production so they were all decked out with all the goodies, toasters, toaster 4000's toaster flyer, genlocks, ad516 sound card, a ton of scsi stuff...

i want to get the a3000 and a1000 working but i had no luck, the a1000 i think has a dead power supply, and the a3000 has very bad battery damage. i tried redoing some traces but no luck.

Reply 24 of 28, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yay! I still have the following:

A500 (4)
A500+
A600
A1200 (3, one with 1230 Blizzard Turbo)
CD32

I'd like to have all the "real" computer versions though (1000, 2000 etc.), but they were very rare even then and these days almost impossible to find at a right price.

Reply 25 of 28, by tokroger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sf78 wrote:
Yay! I still have the following: […]
Show full quote

Yay! I still have the following:

A500 (4)
A500+
A600
A1200 (3, one with 1230 Blizzard Turbo)
CD32

I'd like to have all the "real" computer versions though (1000, 2000 etc.), but they were very rare even then and these days almost impossible to find at a right price.

Aika hyvä setti 😉 Itse en ole edes nähnyt CD32:sta livenä... Isot Aat kiinnostais myös mut omistajat tietää niiden arvon

...nice collection...

Reply 26 of 28, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Being from the UK Amiga's were and are really common here, we had a 500 back in 1988 that replaced the Atari 520 STfm, I have a 500 still now, great little machine, Apidya, Road Rash and UFO enemy unknown are some of my favourite titles.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 27 of 28, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own an Amiga 600 (model without hd), un-pimped - recently I also possessed another one but with dual-kick switch, as well as a row of keys not working, sold on eBay. I love these machines: when I was young I could not afford one, contenting of my modest 286 - every afternoon after school I spent all the time playing with the Amiga 500 of an old friend... beautiful times. I'm waiting to pick up a little money to install a floppy emulator Gotek, together with an IDE-CF adapter and play as it deserves.

Reply 28 of 28, by J8X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First post here because I will always have a soft spot for the Amiga. Got my first one in 1993, an A1000, because it sat on a high school classroom floor for a few years. The teacher who owned it left and nobody knew what to do with it. I was a sub and the teacher at the time just told me to take it and get it out of there. The school didn't own it. (I paid it forward though and built computers for a community center) It had the monitor, 1/2 meg side car, tons of disks and the second external floppy. My cousin was an absolute Amiga freak and got me started. It was a blast. Soon I got the usual A500, A2000. Started working in a school with a Video Toaster and used that until it couldn't Toast any longer. During that time I started playing a game called Starflight 2 and was completely hooked. Even have it on my UAE emulator still but the trouble is, and I don't know how it happens but whenever I get to a certain point, the game gets an error message and it's basically unplayable. I've bought new Amiga disks and it still comes back.....anyways, not to get into all that now. That's getting off topic.

But I will still play it every now and then. Got rid of all my Amiga stuff a while ago and am tempted to pull the trigger on e-bay but as long as I at least have WinUAE on a PC I probably won't. I do miss all the hardware though. The accelerators and RAM upgrades. The first hard drive I put in an A2000 was like the sea parting, 🤣. 40 megs. I wanted to install everything! It felt like I had a Cray super computer when I got my first GVP '030 accelerator.

Anyways. nice topic, great forum.