VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2015/03 … oogle-code.html

After nine years Google Code is shutting down. There are some MS-DOS and vintage computer projects hosted on it, so if you know of something there that you like make sure it gets saved.

Reply 1 of 12, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Idiots!

It was bad enough with Yahoo Geocities. I cannot believe that Google would shut down a well used service like Google code though.
Although I guess it goes with the usual Google policy of "screw the user"

Reply 2 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:

Idiots!

It was bad enough with Yahoo Geocities. I cannot believe that Google would shut down a well used service like Google code though.

It's not about whether anyone is using it, it's about if it's making money.

Reply 3 of 12, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Idiots!

That's true. I wouldn't mind if they would make it read only but it would be a shame to lose any projects that don't get migrated.
I hope that somebody tries to archive it. With 14 BILLION of net revenue, you would think they could afford to run a relatively
small repository.

Reply 4 of 12, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:

Idiots!

The usual Google policy of "screw the user"? What planet did you come from?

Google Code was available for nine years and it was free. I'm not happy with losing a service that I value, but I also understand that they made no money from it, that other sites (Github) have far eclipsed it in popularity, and that maintaining it and keeping it clear of spammers was not worth what they were getting out of it.

My reaction to it is "Sorry to see it go, but thanks for 9 years of great service."

Reply 6 of 12, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mbbrutman wrote:
The usual Google policy of "screw the user"? What planet did you come from? […]
Show full quote
smeezekitty wrote:

Idiots!

Google Code was available for nine years and it was free. I'm not happy with losing a service that I value, but I also understand that they made no money from it, that other sites (Github) have far eclipsed it in popularity, and that maintaining it and keeping it clear of spammers was not worth what they were getting out of it.

My reaction to it is "Sorry to see it go, but thanks for 9 years of great service."

Being there for 9 years makes the problem worse. If it was only there for 9 months, there would be few projects and it wouldn't matter.

You are kidding right?
Remember almost every single change to youtube against most of the user bases wishes?
The new Google+ comments?
Disabling replies completely on old comments?
The new autoplay thing?
Google's discontinued project hall of shame: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Google_p … ts_and_services
Remember when Google was banning everyone who signed up for Google+ without using their real name?
Luckily they dropped it after massive outrage.
It will be soon that having a phone number attached to your account will be required.
They already pester me for it quite often.

Reply 7 of 12, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

Youtube doesn't make any profit either but they haven't shut it down.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 8 of 12, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zirkoni wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Youtube doesn't make any profit either but they haven't shut it down.

On the contrary. Youtube has significant ad time and does make money

Reply 9 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Youtube does not make any monetary profit, right. It does make money which code didn't at all, I guess.
But Youtube is popular. Google Code was never really popular, it had its high time but in the last two or three years I saw the devs leaving it for other platforms.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 12, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that any business is going to have questionable decisions. I look at the whole of Google and I don't see the same policies and tactics that gave Microsoft such a black eye in the mid 90s, or IBM in the 70s and 80s.

The point of the thread was to let people know that a service is shutting down, and that if there is something there that you like you should make sure it gets rescued. I think they've made it pretty easy to migrate to Github, and SourceForge probably has an import process as well.

It was good for 9 years. I used it for four years. I'm sad to see it go, but things change.

Reply 11 of 12, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mbbrutman wrote:

I think that any business is going to have questionable decisions. I look at the whole of Google and I don't see the same policies and tactics that gave Microsoft such a black eye in the mid 90s, or IBM in the 70s and 80s.

I wouldn't mind if they made it all read only. My gripe is the loss of all the projects without google giving a care in the world.

Reply 12 of 12, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:
mbbrutman wrote:

I wouldn't mind if they made it all read only. My gripe is the loss of all the projects without google giving a care in the world.

From their announcement:

March 12, 2015 - New project creation disabled.
August 24, 2015 - The site goes read-only. You can still checkout/view project source, issues, and wikis.
January 25, 2016 - The project hosting service is closed. You will be able to download a tarball of project source, issues, and wikis. These tarballs will be available throughout the rest of 2016.

So it is going to be read only for 5 months starting in late August, and then effecively read only through all of 2016. Between that timeline and the porting tool to GitHub I think they showed some care.