VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 45, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hacking Quake's software renderer with only C knowledge made me appreciate the demoscene on a whole new level.

In 1996 I didn't think much of the digi.com shipped with Cubic Player. now i'm crapping my pants

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 41 of 45, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its just nice to go back in time, when soundcards where just amazing.. Also the old technology attracks me a lot.. I really like it when something isnt plug&play.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 42 of 45, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like a lot of votes for "fun." 😀

I think it's important in context of gaming as a continued hobby. Like how vinyl preservation is important in the context of music as a hobby. If music was gone now, vinyl would be silly memorabilia, like... Ham Radio. As it stands though, retro gaming is fun AND historical, which I think makes it easily the best hobby a guy could have.

Reply 43 of 45, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is always something to explore. You get to tinker with very awesome old hardware, plus you get to play very cool old games, you learn about the fantastic history of PC hardware and PC gaming. And by doing these three things you get to contribute to the preservation.

Reply 44 of 45, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It’s important to me personally because I find it interesting and it’s direct link to a simpler time, but I’m under no illusions with regard to the importance of this fascinating beige junk to anyone else. My kids don’t see the significance of it and nor should they, it’s way obsolete. I’m not preserving it for anyone but myself - 99% of the population couldn’t care less.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 45 of 45, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's fun playing with systems you never had when they were new (Mac, Amiga, high end PC servers, expensive cards and software). I do this for me but I do help out others with similar hardware and share any drivers I find. Not sure what will happen to it when I am dead, or if anyone will care about it at that time.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software