VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this 486 computer ive got came from this guy that had it for sale, it sems his friend apearently was japanese, and i was wondering if its possible without needing to re-install windows 98?
like getting the text all back to english, and how do i recover the driver for its LAN modem, i accidently removed it...

Reply 1 of 26, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

98 is pre-MUI, so you will need to reinstall.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 3 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can keep the files but you will need to install another OS unless you want to keep using the Japanese W98 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 26, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

You can keep the files but you will need to install another OS unless you want to keep using the Japanese W98 😉

how can i do that? with keeping the files on it yet installing a diffrent OS on it

Reply 6 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Back them up or move them elswhere. New OS doesn't mean you need to format...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

did a 486 useally come with windows 98?

No, because when Win98 came out, 486s were already out of the way and OEM computers shipping were mostly of the Pentium MMX/Pentium II/Cx6x86/K6 kind 😀

A recent OEM 486 (like... 1996 clearance sales recent) would have Win95 at best shipped with it.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends. If it's one of those VIPs (VLB/ISA/PCI) motherboards it probably is well into the Win95 era. If not it probably shipped with Windows 3.1, or Windows for Workgroups 3.11

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 26, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nic-93 wrote:

its is one of those types.

One of what types?

I would personally go for 95. If it runs 98, it must be pretty beefy for a 486 anyway. Windows 3.1 is limited for software support.

Reply 16 of 26, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't recommend installing Windows 98 on a 486 PC. Even Microsoft recommends a Pentium class computer.

Windows 95, without the ActiveX desktop plugin, should run adequately on any 486 PC. 8MB RAM is the minimum I would recommend.

If you are installing the ActiveX desktop plugin, then you require a fast 486 CPU with preferably 16MB of RAM.

Reply 18 of 26, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

I wouldn't recommend installing Windows 98 on a 486 PC. Even Microsoft recommends a Pentium class computer.

Windows 95, without the ActiveX desktop plugin, should run adequately on any 486 PC. 8MB RAM is the minimum I would recommend.

If you are installing the ActiveX desktop plugin, then you require a fast 486 CPU with preferably 16MB of RAM.

There is no point of the Active desktop or whatever it's called. If it is running Windows 98, I am sure it has at least 16MB of RAM so Windows 95 should run well.

Reply 19 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What most people seem to forget is you can disable, or even remove, most of win98s Active Desktop functions using various tools and replace it's shell with win95s. Win98 would be useful on a high end 486 class with pci for the usb mass storage support alone. Of course finding a suitable usb expansion card to work in early some pci slotted systems might be a bit of a mission. A few vcf members have successfully done this on their systems though.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2015-04-12, 17:44. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉