VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
smeezekitty wrote:

There is no point of the Active desktop or whatever it's called. If it is running Windows 98, I am sure it has at least 16MB of RAM so Windows 95 should run well.

Agreed. The Windows Desktop Update (as it was called) just gives you Windows 98 like enhancements to your desktop (like the Quick Launch, folder customisation & an improved Start Menu).

Reply 22 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nic-93 wrote:

so i should keep it as windows for workgroup then.

It's really up to you. As other members have said a good balance between dos/wfw and win98 is windows 95. It really depends on what you intend to use the system for at the end of the day. With windows 95 you have two options-the original Windows 95 with only Fat16 support or the later so called OEM Windows 95B/C versions which give you Fat32 support. The later also have better networking. With the original Windows 95 you'll need to update a few things like the WinSock etc.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 24 of 26, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nic-93 wrote:

well, i had been thinking on useing it for games that ran on windows 95, but network wise it should be windows 95?

Yes, put Windows 95b/c on it. That will make it easier.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 26 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will most likely still have to manually install drivers, or update them. If you still have Win98 take a screen shot of device manager with everything showing, that way you will know what your missing.

Also remember 486's cant boot from CD. You will need to make a boot disk, (or download from bootdisk.com) lots of people get caught out with that.