VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

seen quiet a few video's on others haveing a multi boot menu on diffrent window's system's with dos, how is that possible?
and right now it does have a account to sign in on and are connected up directly to the windows 8 system, do i have to install a special software on the 3.11 side?
the driver are installed and its the rtl8139c ethernet modem.

Reply 1 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't bother setting up a dual boot MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 & Windows 9x environment.
Generally speaking (without going into the technical details), Windows 95 & Windows 98 still runs on top of MS-DOS.
You can therefore bypass the graphic user interface (GUI) and boot straight into MS-DOS 7.10 (or MS-DOS 7.00 if you're using the earlier versions of Windows 95).
This is a "real mode" MS-DOS (not a DOS command prompt that you launch inside Windows).
Also, unless you have a very fast 486 CPU (Intel DX4-100 or higher), I would recommend that you rather install Windows 95 as it runs a bit better on a 486 system than Windows 98 (Microsoft also recommends a Pentium processor for Windows 98).

In order to achieve the above, you need to edit the MS-DOS.SYS file in your root directory (it's hidden) to bypass your GUI.
You will then also have to edit your Autoexec.bat & Config.sys startup files, which is where you would set up your boot up menu(s) - you can have multiple boot configurations.
I've attached a little guide that should help you on your way (please note: I'm not the author of this guide - just something I grabbed off the internet years ago. So, I can't take credit for this).

There are TCP/IP stack drivers for Windows 3.11, which you can search on the internet but, as stated above, perhaps first try the real mode MS-DOS setup under Windows 9x?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's Windows for Workgroups 3.11 you need the tcp32b package to get tcpip connectivity.

Here's a HowTo ftp://ftp.ntplx.net/pub/networking/wfw/update.txt Go to ftp://ftp.ntplx.net/pub/networking/wfw to get the file.

For Windows 3.1 it'll take a bit more work using winpkt and Trumpet WinSock et el

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 7, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're using FAT32 capable win9x to run win 3.x,
you may want to patch the IO.sys as well, becuase theres current directory bug that may corrupts the directory data when win 3.x exiting into fat32 capable dos.

more at: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/97945-windows … -and-ms-dos-71/

-fffuuu

Reply 4 of 7, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:
I wouldn't bother setting up a dual boot MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 & Windows 9x environment. Generally speaking (without going in […]
Show full quote

I wouldn't bother setting up a dual boot MS-DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 & Windows 9x environment.
Generally speaking (without going into the technical details), Windows 95 & Windows 98 still runs on top of MS-DOS.
You can therefore bypass the graphic user interface (GUI) and boot straight into MS-DOS 7.10 (or MS-DOS 7.00 if you're using the earlier versions of Windows 95).
This is a "real mode" MS-DOS (not a DOS command prompt that you launch inside Windows).
Also, unless you have a very fast 486 CPU (Intel DX4-100 or higher), I would recommend that you rather install Windows 95 as it runs a bit better on a 486 system than Windows 98 (Microsoft also recommends a Pentium processor for Windows 98).

In order to achieve the above, you need to edit the MS-DOS.SYS file in your root directory (it's hidden) to bypass your GUI.
You will then also have to edit your Autoexec.bat & Config.sys startup files, which is where you would set up your boot up menu(s) - you can have multiple boot configurations.
I've attached a little guide that should help you on your way (please note: I'm not the author of this guide - just something I grabbed off the internet years ago. So, I can't take credit for this).

There are TCP/IP stack drivers for Windows 3.11, which you can search on the internet but, as stated above, perhaps first try the real mode MS-DOS setup under Windows 9x?

i can try it dureing this week.

Reply 5 of 7, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:

If it's Windows for Workgroups 3.11 you need the tcp32b package to get tcpip connectivity.

Here's a HowTo ftp://ftp.ntplx.net/pub/networking/wfw/update.txt Go to ftp://ftp.ntplx.net/pub/networking/wfw to get the file.

For Windows 3.1 it'll take a bit more work using winpkt and Trumpet WinSock et el

do i really need that only and it will work? and yeah, its windows for workgroups.

Reply 6 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nic-93 wrote:

i can try it dureing this week.

You can also search on the internet for "contents of the ms-dos.sys file".
It tells you all the possible options you can put into this file.
Also, remember that you can have multiple boot options in your start up files (autoexec.bat & config.sys).
For example, some DOS programs requires you to have an expanded memory manager loaded (like EMM386.EXE in your config.sys file) while other programs do not.

If you want to have both DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 & Windows 9x installed on your PC, then you must install DOS and Windows 3.11 first and then install Windows 9x.
If your hard drive size is below 2.1 GB, then you don't have to bother with FAT32.
However, if it is above 2.1 GB, then I would create a 2.1 GB partition for DOS and keep the remaining partition of the hard drive for Windows 9x.
This then becomes a tricky exercise as you will have to use a boot manager to switch between the two.
Hence, my initial recommendation.

Reply 7 of 7, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nic-93 wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:

do i really need that only and it will work? and yeah, its windows for workgroups.

Most likely. You'll also have to drop the SMB security levels down on the Windows 8 if you want to access files on it's shares. I don't run Windows 7/8 so can not advise you how to do that. The info is available elsewhere. It's a topic that comes up on occasion at vcf http://www.vintage-computer.com wrt to wfw 3.11 networking so you could join up there as well for added advice.

Of course you can avoid shares altogether and just transfer files using ftp.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉