VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was just wondering how many of you guys still use old CRT monitors for your gaming computers either modern or old, personally I still prefer them to LCD even though they may not be as crisp. Also for my old systems it is a must because to me the graphics of the old games often look a little strange on modern screens.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 53, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If i find one i would buy them if the monitor is the one iam looking for. LCD can have sharper images, but LCDs does not give me the retro feeling sadly.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 53, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do, both for computers and gaming consoles. I hate scaling and lag on my games. LCD monitors are for workstation use.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 53, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CRT's for my P4 and older, flat panel for anything newer. One day the supply of decent CRT's still be used up and I'll have to find a modern alternative, but I don't image that will be any time soon. They're still easy-ish to find around here.

At work I use a dual Dell Ultrasharp (@ 2560x1440) setup, and for coding, etc they're just fantastic. I don't think there ever existed a CRT that could compete with them in that situation. But for old school gaming, CRT is king.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 53, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Daily driver

Yar it's not a question of the resolution they can pump out, for mine it's the readability of text at modern resolutions. I'd be crying a river of tears if I had to sit in air con + stare at a CRT all day.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 53, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got 2 CRTs, both aperture grill. The 17" one is for PII and the 15" one is for everything else. My modern rig has the 19" LCD monitor I bought new in 2006 with my first C2D.

Reply 9 of 53, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just don't have the space. I got heaps of LCD monitors lying around though. Must be 8 or 9 or so 😊

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 53, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I have two Compaq all-in-ones, 486 and P75, with built-in 14" crts. My 386DX25 and 286/12 share an 18" crt. The rest of the 486s, RicPCs, Acorn A4000s, P200mmx and up use an LCD of some description. I have 4 17" crts out in the shed doing nothing.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 53, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a IIyama Vision Master (Race) Pro 410 (17inch diamondtron) on my oldies.
I have a 3DVision 120Hz 23inch LG screen on my modernies.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 12 of 53, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also have a couple of CRT monitors that I gathered over the years. From 14" to 17".
Unfortunately, due to space, I currently only use my 22.5" LCD to connect to all of my PCs.
I use a KVM switch for this purpose but, this is not ideal, since I prefer to hook up my older PCs to a CRT monitor.

What I've picked is that I get "interference" on my LCD where the graphics card is either ISA or VLB. I don't have this problem on any PC where the graphics card is PCI, AGP or PCI-express.

Reply 13 of 53, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Yar it's not a question of the resolution they can pump out, for mine it's the readability of text at modern resolutions. I'd be crying a river of tears if I had to sit in air con + stare at a CRT all day.

I think that's more of an issue of high-dpi screens in general. Bet you'd say the same if you had a 130dpi LCD 😉

There are some tricks to improve text clarity though, but unfortunately Windows is horribly inconsistent when it comes to text rendering. There's the standard "font smoothing" thing which for most fonts only works at larger sizes, and there is Cleartype which is more consistent but has two different "versions" which work completely different. Cleartype in normal GDI programs always uses LCD subpixel antialiasing and looks horrible on CRT, or LCDs with unusual pixel layouts. For GDI+/DirectWrite there's a much improved version which allows grayscale antialiasing and adjusting the font weight and looks gorgeous if set up correctly. But this only works in a few programs. (Opera 12 with DX11 renderer being the only browser that nearly gets it right)

Reply 14 of 53, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Several old HP D8902As and Dell M570s that I got from an office clear-out years ago. Before coming to this forum I've always considered them disposable trash... We used to have a huge boiler that was torn out and replaced by a tiny thing that is apparently just as good. The remaining space is full of old CRTs.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 15 of 53, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have:

Vista/XP box on an Iiyama Prolite B1980SD 5:4 LED monitor

Everything else is connected to a Dell U2410 1920x1200 LED monitor:

- via DVI :
Windows 7 [my main PC]

-via VGA and a KVM cascade/chain [two 2-pc electronic/hotkey KVMs feeding into a mechanical/manual 2-pc KVM]:
Win 98 box [socket A, voodoo5]
Dos machine [socket 7]
2000/xp Prescott
[modern] Linux box

The mechanical/manual KVM plugs into a mechanical/manual 2-into-1 monitor switch, that can switch between the U2410 and a 21" Lacie aperture grill crt.

The Win98 and DOS machines are best on the crt.

Reply 16 of 53, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

Shadow mask master race reporting in. Both for old and new.

Never say that to a Trinitron fan.

I myself really like IPS screens, provided they're running at the native resolution. Great viewing angles and colour. AMOLED is great for the blacks, but only really seen on phones. TN can go die in a fire.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 17 of 53, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ViewSonic P75f+ Professional Series CRT for my main machine and a VA912b for my retro fix. Started out the opposite but it ended up that there were no proper 7 drivers for the LCD but there were for the CRT, so go figure. . .

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18 of 53, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a double monitor system. Asus 26" Full HD LCD and a Samsung, rather odd aspect raito (1680x1050), LCD. The first is directly connected to my daily rig, and the second is connected via a KVM switch as a secondary display to my modern computer, and main display to my three other retro rigs.

I get rid of my CRTs years ago. Good riddance, I have no intention to put these behemoths on my desk again.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 19 of 53, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 413. It's a 17" CRT and it can do 1600x1200, which I really dig. If this monitor dies, I have a spare Nokia monitor that can do 1280x1024 with very good image quality. I'd really love to get my hands on a 19" CRT, used to have one that had very low contrast and brightness values and was simply unbearable. Something to do with age, unfortunately 🙁.

My main rig is using a Samsung SyncMaster T240HD, a 16:10 24" monitor. It can do 1600x1200 with black borders, which is uber cool for old games. I can also hook up consoles on this bad boy and they all look pretty darn good at 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't see myself ever throwing this monitor away, it it really is one of the greatest I've ever owned.
I will have to eventually though, IPS panels and FreeSync will eventually force me to make the change. I really don't want to go the 16:9 route 🙁.