VOGONS

Common searches

My First MEGA Copyright Notice

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DiskingRound

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in November 2014, I uploaded a piece of abandonware to Mega. 4 days later I got a copyright notice for the link. Naturally, it was Adobe Acrobat 3.0b1.

To: u can haz no email
Subject: MEGA Claim of Alleged Infringement / Takedown
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary=xccf0347ed65cff53
Message-Id: <20141110211529.1DF8943676@lu1.api.mega.nz>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 22:15:29 +0100 (CET)

We are in receipt of a takedown notice affecting the following public
link in your account:

https://mega.co.nz/#!CwFRlJqA

Please be reminded that MEGA respects the copyrights of others and
requires that users of the MEGA cloud service comply with the laws of
copyright. You are strictly prohibited from using the MEGA cloud
service to infringe copyrights. You may not upload, download, store,
share, display, stream, distribute, e-mail, link to, transmit or
otherwise make available any files, data, or content that infringes
any copyright or other proprietary rights of any person or entity.

Furthermore, please be reminded that, pursuant to our Terms of
Service, accounts found to be repeat infringers are subject to
termination.

For further enquiries or to file a counter-notice, please do not
hesitate to contact us by replying to this e-mail.

Best regards,

Team MEGA

This post was just to show how illegal abandonware can be. But I don't think Adobe would care about an old piece of software, however just to take it safe I have no plans to re-upload it nor post it here as abandonware is outside this forum's scope. What do you think. Did I deserve it or is it a false claim?

People who use Norton Antivirus should shame themselves for being so poor and unable to afford a real antivirus. It keeps recognizing everything as Suspicious.Cloud and WS.Reputation.1. Just use MSE or better.

Reply 2 of 15, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A new member posts a few threads in the space of a few days relating to Take down notices. Anyone else seeing the theme happening. I'm sure members are well aware of the the consequences.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 15, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What killed the abandonware scene, at least for games, was the advent of cheap smartphones a decade ago. A lot of old games can be made to run on low power portable devices, and companies suddenly realised they could make money by repackaging and reselling them.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 8 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What killed the abandonware scene is when they thought it was a nice speakeasy smokescreen term for oldwarez over a decade ago

such as, you know, the OP, trying to put a very commercially successful piece of software up under the guise

Abandonware used to refer to little old unknown games like Terep, Spyder, Arena (not Elder Scrolls), VGAPlanets, etc. and not 'cool big thing i wish i grew up on man 90s were best by my judgment as a 2000 child i declare DooM 2 an abandonware's', and eventually it's what many sites had to resort to, to keep the ad revenue coming in.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 15, by DiskingRound

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

What killed the abandonware scene is when they thought it was a nice speakeasy smokescreen term for oldwarez over a decade ago

such as, you know, the OP, trying to put a very commercially successful piece of software up under the guise

Abandonware used to refer to little old unknown games like Terep, Spyder, Arena (not Elder Scrolls), VGAPlanets, etc. and not 'cool big thing i wish i grew up on man 90s were best by my judgment as a 2000 child i declare DooM 2 an abandonware's', and eventually it's what many sites had to resort to, to keep the ad revenue coming in.

You're right. Definitions of sites like B***A******, W**W****P* and S***H****** are, in Vogons' and the law's eyes, total bullshod. It's their decisions to call certain softwares "abandoned" usually after ten years and no support or if it's prerelease software but Vogons' definition is not until the copyright expires. This means playing with the first ever version of Windows is no more or no less illegal than pirating Game of Thrones. That time frame is different between jurisdictions. And the BSA, ESA, and other anti-piracy companies have succeeded in sending DMCA notices on behalf of rightsholders to these sites as well as raiding/shutting them down.

People who use Norton Antivirus should shame themselves for being so poor and unable to afford a real antivirus. It keeps recognizing everything as Suspicious.Cloud and WS.Reputation.1. Just use MSE or better.

Reply 10 of 15, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A problem here is the popular stereotype of video game programmers: overpaid, oversexed, underworked, and living basically rock star lifestyles. Think John Romero in his prime. Kids don't feel guilty about stealing from them any more than they feel guilty about stealing from actual rock stars.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 11 of 15, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The subject of what is "Abandonware" isn't so straight forward though. Sure, legally, the copyright has to expire, but how about this scenario:
A game is 15 years old, it hasn't been sold new from the publisher in 9 years, and you've trawled shops both physically and online for 3 years trying to find a copy. You can't even find a copy second hand.
You've emailed the publisher and the developers asking if it would be possible to buy a copy directly from them, and they say "No, sorry, this game has passed it's EOL, and we don't sell it anymore".
Normally this would result in this person having to legally give up on ever playing this game again. But, it turns out that there are some people who still own it, and one of them has uploaded it to a website, calling it "abandonware". The publisher and developer would not lose any money from people downloading it, because they no longer sell it, and doesn't currently have any intention of doing so, even when approached about it.
Even a second hand copy wouldn't provide any more revenue to the publisher or developer, so you could argue that this isn't legal either.
So, is a game such as this abandonware, even though the publisher still owns the copyright?

I'm not saying I support downloading games illegally, but it's generally the publishers/developers fault that this happens. They don't want to sell it anymore themselves, hence they have pretty much given up the rights to complain if somebody wants to give it away for free.

Point being... This isn't as straight forward as "It's illegal, end of story".

Fortunately, we have a retro boom at the moment, with GOG continuously re-releasing oldies 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 12 of 15, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LunarG wrote:
The subject of what is "Abandonware" isn't so straight forward though. Sure, legally, the copyright has to expire, but how about […]
Show full quote

The subject of what is "Abandonware" isn't so straight forward though. Sure, legally, the copyright has to expire, but how about this scenario:
A game is 15 years old, it hasn't been sold new from the publisher in 9 years, and you've trawled shops both physically and online for 3 years trying to find a copy. You can't even find a copy second hand.
You've emailed the publisher and the developers asking if it would be possible to buy a copy directly from them, and they say "No, sorry, this game has passed it's EOL, and we don't sell it anymore".
Normally this would result in this person having to legally give up on ever playing this game again. But, it turns out that there are some people who still own it, and one of them has uploaded it to a website, calling it "abandonware". The publisher and developer would not lose any money from people downloading it, because they no longer sell it, and doesn't currently have any intention of doing so, even when approached about it.
Even a second hand copy wouldn't provide any more revenue to the publisher or developer, so you could argue that this isn't legal either.
So, is a game such as this abandonware, even though the publisher still owns the copyright?

I'm not saying I support downloading games illegally, but it's generally the publishers/developers fault that this happens. They don't want to sell it anymore themselves, hence they have pretty much given up the rights to complain if somebody wants to give it away for free.

Point being... This isn't as straight forward as "It's illegal, end of story".

I agree with you 100%
If you can't buy it, I see nothing wrong with downloading it even if technically illegal. Law should be flexible to meet the need.
That's pretty much what I abide by. I don't pirate anything that you can buy new but stuff that is no longer sold, well...

Reply 13 of 15, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smeezekitty wrote:

I agree with you 100%
If you can't buy it, I see nothing wrong with downloading it even if technically illegal. Law should be flexible to meet the need.
That's pretty much what I abide by. I don't pirate anything that you can buy new but stuff that is no longer sold, well...

I like that view. I keep buying DOS games on GOG, even though I could just download them. But many games you simply cannot purchase legally.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 15, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
2fort5r wrote:

A problem here is the popular stereotype of video game programmers: overpaid, oversexed, underworked, and living basically rock star lifestyles. Think John Romero in his prime. Kids don't feel guilty about stealing from them any more than they feel guilty about stealing from actual rock stars.

Thats because they don't fear God, let alone physical punishment. Rock star or not, they have no business stealing from anybody.

Back when I was a kid (and yes, I understand you did not necessarily mean it as in "young child"), if I touched anything that wasn't mine, I'd be immediately hunted down by a leathery tornado of death slashing it's way into the tenderness of my outer flesh. Now it's like "here's internet, have it your way".

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9