VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 41, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, good question... well, I can remember how I feel myself out of this world while playing for the first time Ultima VI, my first love with Ultima saga. I've never seen huge worlds like that one before... so many things to do, so many things to talk about with all those NPCs. Another one may be Rise of the Triad, my second love with FPS (first one was Wolf3D): so fun and ahead of its time, for me.

Reply 21 of 41, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Did you ever finish it in your youth?

Took me YEARS to get passed the 2nd boss until I figured out the "pause" trick. 😀 Cheating aside, I got stuck on that monster bubble blowing crab in the level 5 water world too. Eventually I did beat it though, and what a thrill it was!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 23 of 41, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So many games have rocked my world. Commando on the C64 was an early one, Stunts comes to mind, DOOM was just magical and Gothic II is up there because it made me realise what RPG's were all about.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 24 of 41, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few games come to mind. I remember when i saw these games for the first time and i would enjoy to feel again what i felt when i played them or saw them for the first time:

Stunts/ 4D Sports Drivind
Dune 2
Wolfenstein 3D
Formula One Grand Prix
Wing Commander
Operation Flashpoint

It's funny how Operation Flashpoint from 2001 was pretty much the game that made me feel really good since all those nice DOS games. Operation Flashpoint took most of my time, so i never really got hooked for other games with maybe the exception of F.E.A.R.

Reply 25 of 41, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would say Wolfenstein 3D and Wing Commander. Doom was much better than Wofl3D, was much more immersive, and first ever LAN party experience of mine was priceless (even with a null modem cable at first), but Wolf3D was "the first".

Same thing for Wing Commander. X-Wing and especially TIE Fighter afterwards were superior (not even considering I was and am a SW nut), but did not have the honor of being "the first".

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 27 of 41, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm I think Titan Empire on Apple II - it had rudimentary graphics but made me feel like I was somehow traversing the solar system and influencing the balance of power.

Second would be Eye of the Beholder - I still have my original copy - was my intro to CRPGs - perhaps the Grimrock games will do in this case?

Reply 28 of 41, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hum... those early adventures are most fun the first time, such as Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, Larry etc.

Also, games like Track 'n' Field and Dynablaster were TONS of fun 😀
I've never had as much fun as with those early games, which you could play with a group of friends. Track 'n' Field is so simple, so silly, so charming 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 29 of 41, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Christmas 1989 - I'm discovering Maniac Mansion on an 8088 XT clone with EGA graphics. Amazing memories.

Close second would be Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - The Graphic Adventure that same year. I remember playing the game first then seeing the movie at the theater hoping it would give me clues. The association movie / game was wonderful.

Let's also not forget Might and Magic III - Isles of Terra in 1991. I bought it and didn't play it for weeks because I found it too hard. Then I read an article in a game magazine on how to cheat by editing the savegames with an Hex editor. I used PC Tools to modify the save file and painstakingly put the max values for might, HP, etc. for each character. My party would then kill most enemies with a single blow, and the game became exploration and riddle-solving more than monster-bashing. I couldn't wait coming back from school to play it and discover new areas on the map.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 31 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Their Finest Hour, the campaign mode.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 34 of 41, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Halo Combat Evolved. Mainly because I went from Super Mario Bro's on the NES and DOOM on the pc directly to Halo CE on the xbox. That graphical leap was mind blowing to a little kid. Also due to that I have yet to be truly wowed by any advance in graphics since then.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 35 of 41, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man... so many games over the years blew me away. I tried games without any expectations, play it for a bit and if I liked it just kept on playing.

The one's that kept me til the end and would again revisit for the first time: -

Lesuire suit larry 1, VGA ver
Solarwinds
Flashback, Anotherworld and PoP... those platformers 1st time round!

More modern games that got me by the balls: -

Half-life
Kingpin
Homeworld
Fallout 3 (though the ending was a bit shit)

Would be good to find a game that I've not yet played that will give me that cherry popping experience again.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 38 of 41, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd pick Sam and Max hit the road, as IMHO it's the pinnacle of the adventure gaming genre, and I've played it so many times that I know it by heart.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 39 of 41, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

-Doom. I remember finishing the shareware version without cheating for the 1st time and was so proud of myself, and impressed my friend who gave it to me. Didn't get the full version (we had Doom 2 instead) till around 95 when I got Ultimate Doom, have only played E2-E4 once I think?

-The first C&C, and Red Alert. The story as well as the gameplay were so addictive. I've since played both so often I know them off by heart.

I'm actually looking forward to playing Duke3d beyond the shareware levels, I was saving it for a co-op lan game that never happened. Now I'm saving it once I get my computing area "just right"

I wish I played Dune2 and Wolf3d before their successors, I feel I should enjoy these games but they feel so "clunky" compared to Doom/C&C