VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.gog.com/galaxy?utm_source=Facebook … 86a143b5016901f

DRM free game distribution with more features than GOG's vintage games platform and no requirement to be connected 24/7 in order to play.

Reply 1 of 30, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would be amusing to see GOG having masterlists for several games that used to use Gamespy that aren't supported anymore due to GLU Mobile being a bunch of inconsiderate corporate arses.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 30, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand why GOG would do this, but now they're in direct competition with Steam... I don't see this going super-well in the long run...

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 30, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As long as they stay DRM free, I will buy games, which are available on GOG and other platforms, on GOG. Might check out the Beta version later today.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 30, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

As long as they stay DRM free, I will buy games, which are available on GOG and other platforms, on GOG. Might check out the Beta version later today.

This is their advantage over Steam, and the fact that you can download installers and the actual ISO's, etc in some cases. Most people will stick with Steam though - I know that I prefer to keep everything in one place if I can.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 30, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I've been kind of wanting something like this from GOG for a while, just as a matter of simplifying things. I like that it doesn't lock anything into Galaxy though, at least if I'm reading it right, I should be able to take a GOG game and run it with Galaxy on my Internet-connected machines, but still transfer the installer packages to my offline boxes too.

Reply 6 of 30, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

This is their advantage over Steam, and the fact that you can download installers and the actual ISO's, etc in some cases. Most people will stick with Steam though - I know that I prefer to keep everything in one place if I can.

honestly though its kind of fun to keep multiple apps installed at once that do similar things.

So far I have

Steam
Origin
uPlay
Battle.net Launcher

now to install this one 🤣.

Reply 7 of 30, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been missing this from GOG. Will certainly start to buy more games on GOG compared to Steam.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 30, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the one hand, HELL YEAH!

On the other hand GOD NO! I'm not sure I see the advantages of having a download platform over their older style (the advantages to me, at least), and the last thing I want is another launcher running all the damn time.

Reply 11 of 30, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The website seemed to imply that Galaxy is fully optional though - it seems more like the older GameSpy or X-Fire clients as opposed to an all-the-time DRM solution like Steam or Origin - in that you don't need it running "all the time damn time" to use your GOG games.

Reply 12 of 30, by Foxhack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's so optional that they screwed over everyone's shelves / collection in their online profiles just to give client users direct access to individual games, just like Steam does. A lot of us didn't like that, but apparently GOG had too much trouble making that optional. And by that I mean they were too lazy to care.

Yes, I'm mad.

Reply 13 of 30, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm patently waiting for the Linux version of GOG Galaxy.

I played with both the Mac and Windows versions, and they are nice. As more community features get rolled in, it really could give Steam some competition. While I like Steam quite a bit, I do feel that competition benefits everyone. Except for EA, Origin can go to hell. 😉

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 14 of 30, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Foxhack wrote:

It's so optional that they screwed over everyone's shelves / collection in their online profiles just to give client users direct access to individual games, just like Steam does. A lot of us didn't like that, but apparently GOG had too much trouble making that optional. And by that I mean they were too lazy to care.

Yes, I'm mad.

I hate the unbundling thing. A lot of games are still missing from my shelf, some of which I haven't even downloaded yet. They should have left them alone.

Reply 17 of 30, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

I like the unbundling, i have more games now 🤣

I like it because I often just want one particular game. Sometimes an old game, that's small, is bundled with a larger, newer game. Before the unbundling you had to download the entire package.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 19 of 30, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sliderider, are you missing a specific purchased game from your shelf, or a freebie that came with a bundle?
I'm missing a copy of Deus Ex, of course they want a purchase receipt (which I can't find) and they have no record of me buying it.