Quake 2 DOS Port WIP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 61, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
neozeed wrote:

oh I tried WSS, and it crashed out HARD... I just haven't had time to even start to see where it all goes wrong. it also locks on QEMU, and I haven't tested actual hardware yet.

In what usage WSS exactly crashed? I remeber there was some example playing a simple tone (should be in the package) and when choosing right soundcard it worked for me (intel ICH7 + Realtek ALC888). Did you tried that dos mplayer-does it crashed too? I understand that there may be issues with integration into game engine because of using INT handlers, timers, etc... And emulators may not always emulate correctly...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 21 of 61, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RayeR wrote:

Is there some Allegro mod that support newer soundcards?
You game porters, did you think about of using WSS http://rayer.g6.cz/download/wss.zip library for DJGPP (it's not my work, I just added some PCI IDs) that supports a lot of new intel HDAs? It was successfully used in mplayer dos port...

Some DOS sound drivers in Allegro slipped past quality control. With Adlib/FM bugged and SB Pro issues depending on the allegro version. Fortunately the source is there, so I fixed that. The MPU-401 driver works fine.
Later versions of Allegro support ESS Audiodrive and SoundScape. GUS support never got beyond planning. Finally there is a WSS driver, submitted by someone and then never properly tested on anything. It is on my todo list to fix this WSS driver one day, and then integrate it in my modified Allegro 3.0 here.
The file you mentioned may help yes, I actually already had it stored in my references folder.
So you are saying a slighly adjusted WSS driver works on intel HDA? What about Realtek I wonder..

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 22 of 61, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kinda off-topic, but someone's porting Quake 2 to the Atari Falcon, a machine with a 16MHz Motorolla 68030 😳 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BBSOJudnvM

You can find more videos on his channel. Very impressive work.

Reply 23 of 61, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which by the way is crazy inspiring for some hardcore integer spans functions for 486 optimization.

Related, I tried to do a quake branch with bigger span subdivisions (32/64 pixels) but only got as far as having it working in C, couldn't hack it in ASM 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 24 of 61, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thought i'd poke this thread with part 4

http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/2 … -to-ms-dos-pt4/

Still needs aspect forcing, because 320x400 looks freaking weird (expands the height too much)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Still needs aspect forcing, because 320x400 looks freaking weird (expands the height too much)

You can make a branch then submit a pull request. Fooling around with aspect ratio and various shitty hardcoded values isn't my cup of tea.

Reply 26 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We fixed the 320x240 planar mode only working on dosbox and voodoo cards. New version is available at: https://bitbucket.org/neozeed/q2dos/downloads … S_EXE_LATEST.7Z

Reply 27 of 61, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you. I look forward to using the updated binaries. I also recently tested crbot against your project and attached it. Patched against the "modified" original code here: http://arton.cunst.net/quake/crbot/. And original binaries here: http://arton.cunst.net/quake/crbot/CRBot114.zip (requires pak0 from q2ctf and *.txt files from CRBot114.zip). User accepts responsibility for use of archives.

Used this batch file for testing:
q2.exe +set game crbot +map q2ctf1 +set ctf 1 +set maxclients 8 +set deathmatch 1 +set cl_async 0 +set cl_predict 0

Edit: added optional patch to display short file names in crbot menu (dos only). This is for adding custom bots via the crbot menu only. The patch also includes a workaround for a limitation in dosbox where multiple wildcards are not recognized when searching files. An example is 'dir *.exe' versus 'dir *ymi*.exe'. These will find the same set of files which also affects the findfirst() function used in the menu code. However, I haven't verified whether this limitation is by design and inherent in an older version of dos.

Attachments

• Filename
    crbot-menu-dosfiles.diff
    File size
    1.89 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File comment
    optional patch for crbot menu file list (dos only)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    crbot-q2dos.zip
    File size
    156.2 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File comment
    crbot v114 test version (q2dos)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 61, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What about on real dos based 386/486, any results compared to the same resolution Win based test? Should it run "better" compared the lack of the whole os?

Last edited by 386SX on 2017-04-30, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The speed will probably be about the same, but there is one win32 ASM function for ref_soft that hasn't been ported to GAS and could give it a slight advantage. If it's borderline-unplayable already on Windows for you don't expect a miracle from Q2DOS.

Reply 33 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote:
Thank you. I look forward to using the updated binaries. I also recently tested crbot against your project and attached it. Patc […]
Show full quote

Thank you. I look forward to using the updated binaries. I also recently tested crbot against your project and attached it. Patched against the "modified" original code here: http://arton.cunst.net/quake/crbot/. And original binaries here: http://arton.cunst.net/quake/crbot/CRBot114.zip (requires pak0 from q2ctf and *.txt files from CRBot114.zip). User accepts responsibility for use of archives.

Used this batch file for testing:
q2.exe +set game crbot +map q2ctf1 +set ctf 1 +set maxclients 8 +set deathmatch 1 +set cl_async 0 +set cl_predict 0

Edit: added optional patch to display short file names in crbot menu (dos only). This is for adding custom bots via the crbot menu only. The patch also includes a workaround for a limitation in dosbox where multiple wildcards are not recognized when searching files. An example is 'dir *.exe' versus 'dir *ymi*.exe'. These will find the same set of files which also affects the findfirst() function used in the menu code. However, I haven't verified whether this limitation is by design and inherent in an older version of dos.

Thanks. I never personally played this mod but it's good to see you were able to easily port it.
Is it necessary to set cl_async and cl_predict to 0? Why did you do that? The QuakeWorld and Quake 2 engines have terrible movement when cl_predict 0 is set.

Reply 34 of 61, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maraakate wrote:

The speed will probably be about the same, but there is one win32 ASM function for ref_soft that hasn't been ported to GAS and could give it a slight advantage. If it's borderline-unplayable already on Windows for you don't expect a miracle from Q2DOS.

Ok, I wasn't expecting lot of speed obviously compared to the already slow 386/486 Quake dos experience. 😉

Reply 35 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For kicks I put a Voodoo 1 in my P1 166 MMX machine and basically it's about as slow as ref_soft except that now you have the additional advantage the coloured lighting, etc.

Reply 36 of 61, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mainly followed the instructions in your porting guide. And I set cl_async and cl_predict to 0 for testing under low framerates (<7 fps). I recall that cl_predict=1 had less smooth gameplay in that case. Once the fps was at a playable rate, then it was not possible to see this effect. However, I was only testing one or two mods under the software renderer.

I also found it interesting in reading that the software renderer is much more tolerant to low framerates than opengl. I don't know much about this though.

Reply 37 of 61, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

cl_async will have problems if the framerate drops below net_maxfps CVAR. If you're on a computer that struggles to maintain 60fps on average set cl_async to 0.

Reply 38 of 61, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its shame that its not working with EMS, because lots of sound drivers are EMS only, otherwise its running fine in 1600x1200..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 39 of 61, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried Q2DOS with DR-DOS 7.0.1 its working fine, even in Virtual machines - Vmware / Virtualbox, but there is problem with timedemo, user input is always detected and timedemo ends right after start (with MS-DOS its fine).. I just wanted to compare DR-DOS and MS-DOS performance.. game speed on my overpowered Core 2 Duo + VIA 880 ultra MB.

Last edited by ruthan on 2018-10-02, 01:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.