VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 10 upgrade plans?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone out there planning on doing the free upgrade?

I have a copy of Win 7 Ultimate and Win 8.1 that I likely will not update, just in
case I need the backward compatibility.
I plan on getting 2 cheap copies of Windows 7 pro and upgrading those.

I'm a little leery of the upgrade because knowing Microsoft, they will be
sneaky about something. I also doubt you will be able to roll the upgrade
back if you don't like it (for whatever reason).

What are you guys planning on doing?

Reply 1 of 76, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was asking myself the same question, and still have not decided.
I wonder if that update will tie your windows 7/8 key to the new windows 10, so you can't rollback and activate windows 7 again should something go wrong.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 3 of 76, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll be upgrading my media server initially, both to try it out and to have a machine more tightly integrated with One Drive, which I understand 10 is. I've heard good things about Windows 10 and I like the way the little 'do you want to upgrade?' icon appeared by Microsoft magic in my notification area.

If it's seamless then I'll let it rip on my gaming machine too.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 76, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never been an early adopter of new versions of Windows. I've always waited about two years after release before I started using them.

The Win10 release date of late July is a perfect storm for me. My Mom needs a new PC and mine also needs a rebuild. I figure I may as well take the plunge right away since I need to build two PCs anyway.

From what I've been reading, over-the-internet upgrades are being placed into a queue so that MS servers don't get overloaded by the huge downloads. I'm hoping that they'll release a DVD ISO that can also be used for the upgrade. This time around I really don't feel like waiting.

If it sucks, I suppose I'll either go back to Win7 or finally make the switch to Linux. Either way, it looks like I'll be learning a new OS in early August.

Reply 5 of 76, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam not going to spill my windows 7 ultimate license for an full version of windows 10.. But i have an older windows vista Home premium version here that iam going to upgrade to windows 8..
Then using the free update to windows 8.1 and then getting the free version of windows 10.. Ill keep my windows 7 licenses for my older builds, dont want to wasting them on windows 10.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6 of 76, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm on the reservation list, but this new version had better still have the desktop interface in it somewhere or else I'm going to be really angry. There had also better be a rollback feature or else I see this as a way to force the tile interface on people who resisted Windows 8. Once you have 10 installed on your system, there would be no way of going back to what you had especially if they reassign your activation code to Windows 10.

Reply 7 of 76, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I'm on the reservation list, but this new version had better still have the desktop interface in it somewhere or else I'm going to be really angry. There had also better be a rollback feature or else I see this as a way to force the tile interface on people who resisted Windows 8. Once you have 10 installed on your system, there would be no way of going back to what you had especially if they reassign your activation code to Windows 10.

It uses the "normal" Windows desktop with the Start Menu, but the new Start Menu/Desktop can still support "floating" Metro apps (like Windows 😎, including live tiles in the Start Menu. It's basically best of both worlds for desktop users - I've actually yet to see any footage showing an entirely Start Screen based UI, which will probably be a big step backwards for touchscreen users. You can see video demos of all of this on Microsoft's Windows 10 website, and I'm sure at other places too. 😀

Anyways, to the original question of the thread, I've got a "guinea pig" machine that will get the upgrade from 7 Home Premium to 10 Home, and then if that's good to go, I can roll-up my other Windows 7 boxes. Shame that Vista isn't supported, but I guess I shouldn't be complaining - at least a few of my machines are eligible for a free upgrade. 😊

Reply 8 of 76, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might first try my HTPC (core2duo 4GB - Windows 7 Professional 32bit) or daughter's PC (Phenom II X6 8GB - Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit) but my main rig (core2quad 4GB - Windows 7 Ultimate) will stay with Windows 7 until I really need the upgrade. I don't know how much it would take, considering I gave up on XP only in summer 2013, two years after I already purchased Windows 7 for it.

I don't know how it will be performance wise. Core2 duo/quad with 4GB RAM will be ok with it?

Last edited by tayyare on 2015-06-03, 07:38. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 11 of 76, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll upgrade my laptop from windows 8. Not sure if I'll encourage my kids to do likewise. Will it affect gog games?

I also have a couple of win7 laptops for software testing from work so might shift one of them to 10 though as we are only just shifting to 7 workwise there's probably not a lot of point.

I have 1x Vista and 1x 7 desktop installations at home, not planning to upgrade either, it will depend on whether I end up wanting to play any games needing 10.

Reply 15 of 76, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a fedora linux guy 😜
Windows has its pros and cons, but I like my linux

Edit:
I just remembered I use Windows XP on my old dell laptop (the only modern laptop I own). Core Solo 1.83ghz and 4gb ram. I tried windows 7 but I like my XP 😀

Last edited by ahendricks18 on 2015-06-03, 20:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0