VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 10 upgrade plans?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 76, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm planning to upgrade my notebook since it came with Windows 8 anyway, I assume Windows 10 can't be worse, and I can only get the free update for one year. I'm making a backup of the system partition first just in case I still prefer 8. (I could use the recovery partition in theory, but than I'd have to install so much stuff again, update to Windows 8.1 again, ...)
OTOH I was thinking about installing Windows 7 but I just didn't bother so far.
With a computer running Windows 7 I'd probably update to get Windows 10 free and than continue using 7 until extended support runs out, except maybe for trying out DirectX 12.

My company notebook is not my decision anyway, that's running Windows 7 Enterprise. I don't know if my company will opt to use Windows 10, we mostly skipped Vista (except for a few special machines) and used XP until 7 came out.

Reply 21 of 76, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope. I don't even have Windows 7. Haven't needed it yet.
Each version of Windows seems to take the Microsoft-Nanny mentality to another level. I don't need or want to give Microsoft more access to my PC, nor do I want them getting in the way of what I choose to do with it myself. It's my computer, not theirs.

Reply 22 of 76, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Given how much of a massive hurdle it is, not to mention stupidly costly, to have a legal copy of any Microsoft OS. I'm glad I went back to Linux.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 23 of 76, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 7 is pretty good all-arounder: rock-solid stable (like XP) but without its limitations for modern hardware. Win 8/8.1 never caught my attention with all those dumbed-down menus - why not keep the old (and faster for people that know what they are doing) way and make the new menus optional?

I've used 98SE for 5+ years, then went for some 8+ years on XP. Both were the greatest on their lifespan - if your hardware isn't flaky, they will perform just fine and without much hassles.

Reply 25 of 76, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

7 until it is no longer supported. 7 is the new XP as corporates use it as such. Consequently I believe MS will keep extending 7 support.

They may extend it for business licenses, but not for consumers. I thought I read somewhere that XP was still going to be getting some updates for corporate users after mainstream support stopped until most of them have had enough time to migrate at least to 7. There was even someone who was going to try to adapt those patches to the corporate licenses to work with consumer versions of XP and the 2003 versions of Windows that were still based on XP.

Reply 26 of 76, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How to remove the Windows 10 GWX upgrade nonsense

... The moment you push me into a corner, you corporate pieces of crap, I will fight back with all I can, and you have just turned a loyal owner - and a shareholder - into an enemy. You have made me into a detractor. You have obliterated all and any chance of me ever wanting to even consider upgrading my Windows 7/8 boxes to the new version ...

... You want morons for your users? Fine, you will get morons. You want smart people on your side, make sure you give them the respect and dignity they deserve. One-size-fits-all fascism does not cut it. I'm not playing the moronity game. If and when my awesome four-digit IQ deteriorates enough for me to consider Bing news, or any other mainstream feces, even remotely interesting, I will bow down to this idiocracy gangbang. Till then, you will have to give me a bloody button that reads choice ...

Let the air flow!

Reply 27 of 76, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TELVM wrote:

It's exactly this sort of crap that makes me not want to ever use Windows 7/8. Little by little MS is taking control of your system away from you. Sure, you can eventually find ways around it, but you shouldn't have to. It's your system, not theirs. You should be the one dictating what it does, not them!

As for Windows 10, I read an article a few days ago which suggested that the next version of Windows after 10 will be a subscription service service just called "Windows" for which users will have to pay. And just like Win7/8 users are being nagged to upgrade to 10 with a system update that they have to jump through hoops to remove, chances are high that MS will do the same thing to Win10 users when they decide that it's time to upgrade to the subscription service;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/ … -has-high-cost/

Reply 28 of 76, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will likely not upgrade any of my systems to Windows 10, perhaps one of my OEM systems with Vista.

If Steam for Linux gets going and new games actually work I will probably jump ship. I have a wet fantasy involving Steam beeing ported to FreeBSD sometime in the future.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 29 of 76, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I Think it's worth waiting for DX12 games I want to play to upgrade or maybe near the end of the Free upgrade time.

I did jump on the win 8 $15 dollar upgrade when it came out. The only features of Win 8 I have like is better SSD compatibility and Reset feature. Otherwise I'd say stick with Win 7.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 30 of 76, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rekrul wrote:
TELVM wrote:

It's exactly this sort of crap that makes me not want to ever use Windows 7/8. Little by little MS is taking control of your system away from you. Sure, you can eventually find ways around it, but you shouldn't have to. It's your system, not theirs. You should be the one dictating what it does, not them!

Are you talking about Windows updates? Because if you're avoiding those on XP because "I am in choice of what happens on my system, take that evil overlords" then any hacker can take control of your system with just a malformed image. Put simply, even on a open source system you're not going to audit every security update: you are NOT in control of your system. You never will be, stop believing this illusion.

It's especially funny that fans of XP believe in this illusion. It's closed source. It's a huge black box, and you somehow think you know everything about it and is in full control of it, that's not even going into the hardware it runs on...

Reply 31 of 76, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of all the times I've used windows, I've had moments where I left updates on "Notify only" for a few years and never got hit by any sort of malware attack, even just sitting there idle connected to the internet.

I wonder what it is I'm doing right that I've never got botnetted or seriously compromised.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 33 of 76, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Of all the times I've used windows, I've had moments where I left updates on "Notify only" for a few years and never got hit by any sort of malware attack, even just sitting there idle connected to the internet.

I wonder what it is I'm doing right that I've never got botnetted or seriously compromised.

Being lucky does not equal doing something right.

Reply 35 of 76, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it has anything to do with "luck" so much as common sense and paranoia. I was behind hardware firewalls, and had been browsing the web with hostfiles redirecting known malware\spyware\adware domains to localhost, internet options set to beyond highest thing (only allowing prompt filedownloads), and FireFox with NoScript and Spybot S&D's immunization feature.

As far as I know, so long as you have a functioning firewall, and nothing on your system listening to the outside world in the background. There's no way you can just get a virus out of nowhere, just from being connected to the internet.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 36 of 76, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

To get rid of the W10 upgrade notification icon that pops up on the taskbar delete update KB3035583.

Removing KB3035583 doesn't disinfect the system, this malware will attempt to pester you again later on even if you hide the update.

Let the air flow!

Reply 37 of 76, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with "luck" so much as common sense and paranoia. I was behind hardware firewalls, and had been browsing the web with hostfiles redirecting known malware\spyware\adware domains to localhost, internet options set to beyond highest thing (only allowing prompt filedownloads), and FireFox with NoScript and Spybot S&D's immunization feature.

As far as I know, so long as you have a functioning firewall, and nothing on your system listening to the outside world in the background. There's no way you can just get a virus out of nowhere, just from being connected to the internet.

A big exploit back in the XP day was in how it did image rendering. You didn't have to run scripts, browse to malicious sites or anything. Just view the wrong image.

Skipping security updates is a stupid idea. Yes, allowing Microsoft to do updates gives them control over your system (which they had in the first place, unless you're one of the people here that supposedly reverse engineered the entire OS before installing it), but it also ensures no one else also has control over your system.

Spybot is also closed source and you have no idea what it's doing and I doubt you read Firefox's source code before installing it either.

People who think they fully control every aspect of their computer are so very, very delusional. Yet it's common and used as an argument against upgrading when they could just say the truth "I'm used to this and don't want to learn something different".

Removing KB3035583 doesn't disinfect the system, this malware will attempt to pester you again later on even if you hide the update

Prove it.

Reply 38 of 76, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does this XP exploit manifest in the default image viewer? If so, it's moot because I don't use the default image viewer... I also have images disabled except on sites that I trust and that I am able to filter out the advertisement elements out of the page itself.

Though really this seems to be going way out of topic.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 39 of 76, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:

Did about three pages worth of comments just vanish?

Yes a bunch of posts were moved to the trash can. There were a number of complaints and the thread had meandered into some off-topic controversy. I hope it can mostly stay on the topic of Windows 10 plans/non-plans now.