Common searches

My mother died last week

Topic actions

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

She died last week on Friday, June 6th, 2015.

It's kinda.... long story. My mother had been diagnosed with scleroderma (systemic sclerosis) when I was kid. I overheard my parents' conversation that most scleroderma patients wouldn't live past the age of fifty, and I've been worrying ever since.

Well, who knows? When she died, she was 72 years-old. The doctors always admired her spirit, her strong will to live. In 2008, she went to Mecca for pilgrimage, and returned healthier than ever. In 2011, she received an award as a life-time university lecturer, and I accompanied her to Bali for the ceremony. We extended our stay and took the opportunity to roam the beautiful island, and were very tired when ended the trip. But as I went ill due to exhaustion, she pressed on to Papua to fulfill her duty as senior consultant. Not only she stayed healthy, but she returned with souvenirs and funny stories.

In 2012, when she was 69 years-old, she took doctoral program in city and regional planning. No, she never needed the title, she didn't need to prove anything either; everyone in the circle already knew her. She did it because she wanted to academically formulate government policy to properly handle Foreign Direct Investment (FDI). Some of you probably knew that FDI has been a controversial issue in international economics. Countries that handled it properly, like Malaysia, Taiwan, and South Korea, obtain the benefits, while countries with weak FDI policies like Indonesia only suffer from it. Well, my mother's study is as such, but she did it from regional and city planning perspective. For instance, in West Java there are many FDI-owned manufacturing industries built on fertile lands. Not only such thing converted local rice fields to factories, but it also consumes considerable amount of water needed for agriculture. The West Java local government had tried their best to stem the advance, especially since half the country depends on the Java island as primary food source, but they could do very little against more liberalized international trade policies. My mother's thesis is basically finding a solution for such problem. And she did it because she loved the country, because she loved the people -especially the poor.

Such was my mother.

Yes, she is suffering from scleroderma, but she never complained at all. In 2013, she told about another scleroderma patient, whom was also a factory worker. Just like my mother, she also suffered painful wounds on the tip of her fingers -so bad that she couldn't work anymore. Meanwhile, scleroderma medicines are always expensive, so she couldn't continue her treatment. My mother urged that we should give that patient sadaqah so she could continue her treatment, so we went to the hospital. But it was too late, the patient already died. And my mother became very saddened. As usual, she worried more about others than herself.

Such was my mother.

In late 2014, she went through stem cell treatment to cure her scleroderma (it is said that stem cell has positive effects on scleloderma and lupus patients). I accompanied her to the city of Solo (where the doctor practices), and we had good times, visiting museums, historical temples, and other tourist objects on the way. At first, her condition improved, but she gradually got worse. Turned out it was because of her diet. Stem cell is still experimental, and in case of hers, it required very strict diet to help it work -very strict that it almost caused malnutrition. When we realized, she stopped her diet and got better. Then she became productive again and went back to her doctoral study.

About a month ago she went through sleepless nights to finish her doctoral assignments. Nobody pushed her, but she never wanted to be late in submitting her assignment. Like she always told me, "when I was teaching, I was always being strict to my students -always told them to submit their assignments on-time. Now I'm a student myself, it's appropriate that I live up to the standards I set for others."

"But mom, you are 72 years-old," I argued. Then she smiled and said that 72 years-old is not that old.

Such was my mother.

Nonetheless, her condition became worse after she finished the assignments, much worse that she was brought to the hospital. Turned out that her heart was swollen and her lung shrunk accordingly. Her oxygen intake became lower, her blood pressure dropped, and her pulse went haywire.

But she recovered nonetheless. Her oxygen intake went back to normal, her blood pressure improved, and her pulse became stable. The latest radiography also showed that her heart was returning to normal size. The doctor moved her from ICU to regular room, and we took turns to accompany her. I took the night shift because I have to work at noon, especially since I have to prepare the bidding documents. And as my mother told me, "you should concentrate on winning the contract. Don't worry about me, I'm fine."

Yes, she was conscious all the time. She looked fresh, and we even made jokes together when I was attending her.

At Friday morning, I said goodbye to her because I had to hand my works to be processed by our employees. She looked fine. She even asked the hospital for more substantial breakfast than just another porridge. My sister-in-law took turns, and my late dad's aunt visited her about two hours after I left. Heck, few days later, my sister-in-law said that she still enjoyed her visit.

Suddenly around midday, she fell unconscious, her heart rate went haywire again, and my sister-in-law called me in panic and tears. I drove to the hospital like crazy, and when I arrived, the nurses were busy resuscitating her, until the doctor told them to stop.

Needless to say I cried. I've never been crying for, like years, but then I cried out of grief and shock.

But despite her sudden death, her face was so peaceful; it looked exactly like as if she was sleeping.

We buried her Saturday. And I went back to work on Sunday, working my ass off like crazy. Part of it because it helps alleviating the trauma, but mostly because I knew my mother would be saddened if I abandoned my responsibilities because of grief. She wanted me to do my best; not because of the money, but simply because she said we are responsible to make the best of what Allah has given us. And she reminded me to pay the zakat accordingly, because we always have duty to the poor and the needy.

Such was my mother.

(yep, it's religious thing. And yes, I know some of my best friends are atheists and I'm fine with that; I don't expect you to understand, nor do I mean to evangelize. It's just what she said; it's just what we are.)

And yes, I won. No, no, I didn't win; we won.

I want to tell my mother, want to hug her, "mom, we win!"

But of course I can't.

Nonetheless, my mother was a fighter to the very end, and so should I.

So, here is Ir. Hājjah Siti Sutriah Kadar Nurzaman, M.T.; lecturer, scholar, regional and city planner, and the best mother one could ever had.

399984_2956497597984_1155544498_n.jpg?oh=ecba8adf6cf5f364b67c40179436b686&oe=55F8BC5E&__gda__=1445863093_5050eaa0ae1eb05930850a1f1cf9e8a4

(She was 68 years-old when the photo was taken)

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 36, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like your mother was an amazing person and I'm sorry to hear of your loss - the world needs more people like her.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 36, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really sorry to hear of your loss Kreshna, your mum was clearly an inspiration. Glad that she beat that initial prognosis of 50 years, sounds like she really made the most of life.

Reply 4 of 36, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So sad to hear about your loss, my condolences to you and the rest of your family, stay strong!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 36, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My sympathies, friend.

Very fortunate that she got to live an active and productive life, keeping her wit and lucidity right up to the end. There's nothing worse than watching somebody you love deteriorate with cancer or dementia over years or even decades.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Sounds like your mother was an amazing person and I'm sorry to hear of your loss - the world needs more people like her.

JidaiGeki wrote:

Really sorry to hear of your loss Kreshna, your mum was clearly an inspiration. Glad that she beat that initial prognosis of 50 years, sounds like she really made the most of life.

eL_PuSHeR wrote:

My condolences.

keropi wrote:

So sad to hear about your loss, my condolences to you and the rest of your family, stay strong!

SquallStrife wrote:

My sympathies, friend.

Very fortunate that she got to live an active and productive life, keeping her wit and lucidity right up to the end. There's nothing worse than watching somebody you love deteriorate with cancer or dementia over years or even decades.

Thank you, my friends. I really appreciate that.

I think I'm such a fortunate person that I was close with my mother; she was a remarkable woman indeed. Through her entire life, she never complains despite the disease she endures. And as usual, she worried more about others than her own self.

It took me a week to recover from the shock. Well, maybe it was also the reason I wrote lengthy post about her -to cope up with the loss. Volumes can be written on the good things about her; a lot of great memories about her. I had such a loving and wise mother, and I'm thankful for that.

keropi wrote:

stay strong!

So said my mother too, keropi. And thanks, I will. She want her kids (me and my brother) to be strong, to be thankful and make the best of life, and to not complain; to remember that there are others who are more unfortunate than us.

No, my mother didn't create this following creed, but I'm sure she heartily agreed with it. After all, it is was she said to me often.

tumblr_mtnu22q5Qd1qah2fqo1_500.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 8 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oerk wrote:

My condolences.

Seems like your mother was a great person und lived a full life, despite her illness.

Also, that was very well written! One can really tell you cared a lot about her.

Thank you.

Since I was kid, I always have nightmares about the death of my mother; I've been paranoid about it. I guess I have to be thankful that she lived until 72 years-old. The doctors said it was very amazing for a scleroderma patient to live that long.

And despite her various illness (caused by scleroderma), she never complained. Ever. She was still a productive member of the society.

Despite my grief, I guess I should be proud of her. 😀

Reply 11 of 36, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been through loosing my grandparents on my mother's side of the family, so I know how sad it is to loose someone like that. Sorry to hear about this happening, Kreshna.

My mother has survived breast cancer, quit smoking but recently after the incident that nearly claimed my father's life (hospital mishap, gangrene infested his galbladder which had to be taken out and now he's on antibiotic treatments to get rid of the remaining bacteria) she started smoking again. I don't know how to get her to stop because, as anyone knows, smoking can cause cancer...

I'm trying my best to support my mother but she's been self-destructive ever since my father's operation (which he survived and is recovering well) I'm at a bit of a loss on my part...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 12 of 36, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your mother still lives through you. Your thoughts, your actions, your life choices all go through the prism of her influence. I know it hurts, but there'll come the time when the wounds will heal and you will remember her with gratitude and not a hint of pain. Be strong, friend.

Reply 16 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

My condolences Kreshna. Hang in there!

DracoNihil wrote:

I've been through loosing my grandparents on my mother's side of the family, so I know how sad it is to loose someone like that. Sorry to hear about this happening, Kreshna.

My mother has survived breast cancer, quit smoking but recently after the incident that nearly claimed my father's life (hospital mishap, gangrene infested his galbladder which had to be taken out and now he's on antibiotic treatments to get rid of the remaining bacteria) she started smoking again. I don't know how to get her to stop because, as anyone knows, smoking can cause cancer...

I'm trying my best to support my mother but she's been self-destructive ever since my father's operation (which he survived and is recovering well) I'm at a bit of a loss on my part...

RacoonRider wrote:

Your mother still lives through you. Your thoughts, your actions, your life choices all go through the prism of her influence. I know it hurts, but there'll come the time when the wounds will heal and you will remember her with gratitude and not a hint of pain. Be strong, friend.

obobskivich wrote:

My condolences Kreshna; sorry to hear this. It was a very nicely written tribute as well. 😀

386_junkie wrote:

Sorry for your loss.

Sev80 wrote:

my condolences, your mom sounded like a very incredible person!

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate that.

Yes, she was an incredible person, and I miss her so much. I hope I could live up to her examples.

It's.... I just remember. I was playing Origin's Pacific Strike at the beginning of this year, and I showed her the game manual. I told her one of the reasons I stick to old games (which mostly she bought us (me and my brother) when we were young) is because old games have more interesting documentations. An example is Pacific Strike's manual. Unlike, say, Falcon 4.0 manual, you don't really need it to play the game, but it is an interesting reading in itself. Then she read the manual, and she seemed to enjoy it. And then she told me the stories when she was young.

She was born in 1943, when Japan invaded Pacific. Then Indonesia proclaimed its independence in 1945, but it was not easy times for us, because the Dutch invaded to regain its colony. So for us Indonesians, the war wasn't over until 1950, and she experienced it as a very young girl. She told me that she still remember crying when her family (my grandpa's) was evacuating, because she was almost separated from the group. A young girl, about four years-old, was very afraid because she couldn't find her parents. Fortunately her uncle found her before departure.

She also told us the life in the shelter. Well, not really shelter, because the destination city residences shared their homes with the refugees. She was too small to understand what's going on, but she remembered she and her family had to turn off the lights and to hide under the table (or bed) every time the siren was heard. Turned out it was Dutch air strikes, and she told me that a neighbor of hers died during one of the air strikes.

Yes, I have heard the stories quite many times, but those stories never bore me.

My grandpa was a teacher who joined Indonesian freedom fighters as logistic officer.

When my mom was in the elementary school, the school was attacked by Raymond Pierre Westerling's terrorist group. Thankfully she survived, yet her sister and aunt were crying because they worried she was killed.

My grandpa's home was visited by a general of Indonesian guerrilla forces, and my grandma always worried during such visitation, because she was afraid the Dutch would capture the entire family.

Those were also her stories.

And I still remember them.

Two months before she died, we went to a military museum in Bandung, and she was full of nostalgia. Here my mother was, posing next to an armored train. It was part of her nostalgia too, because she also rode such train during one of those evacuations.

And she smiled.

She always smiled.

14046_10206640613960518_6443424256277329559_n.jpg?oh=75d983be9eee2d730f4fc85ecbbc1e67&oe=562D664A

Reply 17 of 36, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My sincere sympathies for your loss.

I would however leave religion out of it. IMO you are proselytizing very aggressively.

BTW: the Dutch did not invade. We suppressed an uprising.

Last edited by PeterLI on 2015-06-16, 16:18. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 18 of 36, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

She knew what is worth in life. As her son you should carry on that which she had given you. No matter how hard you should always look up and work for a brighter tomorrow.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 19 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

She knew what is worth in life. As her son you should carry on that which she had given you. No matter how hard you should always look up and work for a brighter tomorrow.

Thank you.

She smiled most of the time, and every time we were together, we always smiled. Yup, the photo was taken early 2015, when I accompanied her to the city of Solo for stem cell treatment. She didn't always need the wheelchair -only when she felt tired.

I also pushed her wheelchair during our visit to Prambanan temple (yes, it was a medical trip, but she never give up the chance to visit interesting places). I made 'vroooom vrooooom' sound like I was playing car (of course I pushed her carefully), then she laughed, remembering that I also loved to play such thing when I was little boy, pushing my dad's study chair and such.

Well, of course, the wheelchair was not allowed to pass once we reached Prambanan's main, but it was okay. She could walk on her own during our brief stay in the temple's main.

Then we returned to the parking lot, and I pushed her wheelchair again. Such thing was always my favorite moment.

And her stories too.

She didn't only tell wartime stories -though wartime stories are always my favorite, since I love war-themed games and war history. She also told funny stories when she were young. She came from big family, you know. I had seven uncles and one aunt from her side of the family. One of the uncles was really a brat when he was young; he was the one who stole grandpa's car to drive around the city when grandpa was taking nap -then stealthily returned the car to the garage before grandpa realized.

And many other stories that made us (me and my brother) laugh.

She and dad (which had also died) were really a team; they were not only husband and wife, but they always stick together facing every challenges in our life. I still remember in 2005, when mom got hospitalized when her scleroderma went worse, I overheard dad told her, "how can I life without you?"

She always loved her job as university lecturer. She always said, "it keeps me young." Her students also loved her, treating her like their own mother. And I can see why.

I still miss her so much.

Have you hugged your mother today? 😀