Common searches

what are your favourite ps/2 mice?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 79, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
The Logitech SBF96 for me , I got a bunch of them . PS/2 only , 2 buttons , a scrollwheel and optical (even work with amiga adap […]
Show full quote

The Logitech SBF96 for me , I got a bunch of them . PS/2 only , 2 buttons , a scrollwheel and optical (even work with amiga adapters without probs).
An excellent mouse for retro uses IMHO.

34efbxf.jpg

My retro mouse of choice is an M-SBF90, in black, but otherwise it looks identical to that.

For ball mice, the M-C48 is a great wheel-equipped mouse.
mc48-1.jpg

The Logitech MX518 is still my favorite mouse of all time, and mine still works just fine. But it's really beat up (the plastic surfaces are rough). Current mouse is a Logitech G402. It's decent.

Reply 41 of 79, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the Microsoft Intellimouse series are nice, simple, work well , comfortable. I personally use the 1.3A version with a KVM switch with all my retro machines (I use a Logitech G400 for my modern machine)

Reply 43 of 79, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1a as my go-to mouse for by retro computers. It's perfect for Quake 3 and UT99, just has the perfect sensor performance and feel (there's a good reason why Q3A pros used this mouse back in the day).

31N7ENCV2ZL._SX300_.jpg

Reply 44 of 79, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like those Microsoft mice because they're very hand-filling. Small mice are uncomfortable for me to use. Not a fan of the ones that put navi buttons on either side, I think Fwd/Back should be on the same side. 😀

Reply 45 of 79, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone here have experience with the Logitech RX250 mouse and know if it works in an older system under DOS? There doesn't seem to be tons of options when looking for new PS/2 compatible mice - this one claims to be and is also quite cheap...

24524.png

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 46 of 79, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:

Does anyone here have experience with the Logitech RX250 mouse and know if it works in an older system under DOS? There doesn't seem to be tons of options when looking for new PS/2 compatible mice - this one claims to be and is also quite cheap...

It looks like the same thing as an M-BJ58, but with a tilt-wheel. (I'm not a big fan of tilt-wheels. They're annoying.)

Why not just get an M-SBF96 on eBay for around 6 bucks?

Reply 47 of 79, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And if you want a really good PS/2 keyboard for cheap, get a Lenovo/IBM one. They can be had for about $10-15 and are as good a rubber dome keyboard as you are likely to find. Dell QuiteKey is worth checking out too.

Reply 48 of 79, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AidanExamineer wrote:

And if you want a really good PS/2 keyboard for cheap, get a Lenovo/IBM one. They can be had for about $10-15 and are as good a rubber dome keyboard as you are likely to find. Dell QuiteKey is worth checking out too.

I assume you're talking about the IBM 8923. It's my favorite "regular" keyboard. The Dell QuietKey is supposed to be the same as the 8923, but they don't feel the same to me. They feel lighter, less substantial, and the key action doesn't feel as strong. The IBM Model M has even better action and tactile feel, but those buckling springs are too noisy if you live with anybody else who can hear it.

My second favorite keyboards are the old original MS Natural and the MS Natural Elite. The newer Natural Elite has better action on the keys, but the arrow keys are laid out incorrectly and it doesn't have legs in the front. The original MS Natural has correctly laid out keys and front-tilt legs, but the action is slightly mushier compared to the Natural Elite. I tend to keep my original MS Natural keyboards at home for games and the MS Natural Elite for work or other non-gaming systems.

You can find the IBM, Dell, and MS keyboards at thrift stores for about 2 or 3 dollars if you're patient and visit semi-regularly. Otherwise, you'll pay the eBay/PayPal tax.

Cheapo LITE-ON SK-1788 keyboards are also pretty decent, but it looks like they've been recently discontinued. The Logitech (errr... Logi? <gag>) K100 is pretty decent, still available, and can be found for about 12 or 13 dollars.

It looks like I've gotten a bit off-topic. Oops!

Reply 49 of 79, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was actually thinking of this one. They've kept the same design for the newer USB keyboards, and a very similar PRO model w/ navi and media buttons, and a USB hub.

I think you have to say it like Logi *hurp*

Reply 50 of 79, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AidanExamineer wrote:

I was actually thinking of this one. They've kept the same design for the newer USB keyboards, and a very similar PRO model w/ navi and media buttons, and a USB hub.

We had both of those models at my last job. They're incredibly durable, but they felt very mushy to me. It's all subjective and very personal. I never got any complaints from employees about those two models. I just prefer my old IBM 8923.

If I had lots of disposable income, I would probably consider getting one of the uber-expensive keyboards that I see all the time on MassDrop. Have you seen this thing? (I wouldn't buy that even if I had the cash. It looks uncomfortable as hell. Very pretty, though.)

Reply 51 of 79, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KT7AGuy wrote:

It looks like the same thing as an M-BJ58, but with a tilt-wheel. (I'm not a big fan of tilt-wheels. They're annoying.)

Why not just get an M-SBF96 on eBay for around 6 bucks?

Thanks for the insight. Seems all sellers of this particular mouse are located in the U.S. though... maybe it was sold in Europe under a different name?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 52 of 79, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have MS Intellimouse Pro PS/2 mouse, and it feels nice, is serial compatible, and the best part is I got it for 49 cents.

mouse_pr.jpg
Filename
mouse_pr.jpg
File size
11.71 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 54 of 79, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine says on the bottom that its serial compatible. However mine is a ball mouse, maybe there is an optical version that may be different.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 55 of 79, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a few of these, something I've been looking for quite some time now.

Attachments

• Mitsumi.JPG
    Filename
    Mitsumi.JPG
    File size
    119.39 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 56 of 79, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1 Logitech M-BJ58
USB and PS/2, cheap, ubiquitous, durable

+1 Logitech MX510
USB and PS/2, comfortable, not wireless. I've almost worn the finish off mine, the printing and stickers are long gone.

+1 IBM PS/2 "bar o soap"
The most comfortable mouse buttons ever

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 57 of 79, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
I have two PS/2 Mice I absolutely love: […]
Show full quote

I have two PS/2 Mice I absolutely love:

Logitech / Compaq M-S69
ms69-2-1_large.jpg

And for my 90's computers I use a Compaq MUS4J
mus4j-1_large.jpg

Both are ball mice, after switching to optical 6+ years ago I finally got sick of them. Optical mice just don't have the right weight or balance to them (or something, they are just kinda weird feeling) and they are WAY more sensitive than a ball mouse which makes them pretty useless for anything other than playing FPS games. Now that I've switched back to ball, I've had to clean it once or twice but the feeling is just perfect, optical mice have nothing on ball mice. 😁

yeah OEM mouses are nice, Compaq, HP, maybe IBM. So far i have mostly Compaq ones, other are logitech, so seems they did make back then really nice products, not like today..
Specially the Compaq M-S69 (Logitech) i use that mouse every single time i need to do something on older machines is great...

Attachments

• IMG_20160403_181624.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20160403_181624.jpg
    File size
    1.88 MiB
    Views
    File license

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 58 of 79, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:
Logitech M-BJ58. http://www.weisd.com/store2/XTCLT-O-WIL.jpg They last practically forever. I've been using the same one since […]
Show full quote

Logitech M-BJ58.
XTCLT-O-WIL.jpg
They last practically forever. I've been using the same one since 2002.

Pros
Full-size mouse
Optical tracking sensor
Good action on the buttons and scroll wheel
Scroll wheel is indexed and clicks properly
PS/2 and USB connectivity
Ambidextrous
No drivers required

Cons
The nice blue and red variants are now almost completely unobtainable.

Note:
The Logitech iFeel mouse has the same shell as the M-BJ58, but is a USB-only mouse.

(Ball mice suck)
(Thumb buttons suck)
(You only need three buttons and a scroll wheel)
(The Logitech SBF96 is also a very good mouse)

These definitely last forever! I've been using mine for around the same amount of time. Some of mine are supplied with an OEM stamp, like Fujitsu-Siemens, but mine is an SBF69 but I recognize your mouse as well. I think these are great! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!