VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was searching for info on music software that will run on an XT/286 and came across, this thought it was kinda cool:

https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/diode-mi … s-dos-interview

I'm not a huge fan of electronica but the track in the link below is damn cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtYOZRarQDs&feature=youtu.be

Reply 2 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Huh. Diode had an interview with Vice? That's really cool.

Yeah, although it's a bit disappointing that their angle seems to be "omg I just saw this dude on facebook who trolls reddit, and he uses old computers (GASP!) to make music!", as if that was the discovery of the decade and nobody else had thought of it before. They could've mentioned that there's a whole scene of talented and capable musicians composing for OPL3.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still use Impulse Tracker. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 12, by COVOXED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Impulse Tracker under DOS rocks. (And so does Fast Tracker II, i never understood the "Either - or" view on this).
If anyone without a working soundcard is interested in making music under DOS (Even using a C64 emulator under DOS on something like a 33 mhz 486 machine with 4 MB ram 😀),
then look at my post HERE.

Reply 6 of 12, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I too use only ImpulseTracker for MS-DOS, though I run it in DosBOX or a VM running MS-DOS 6 if I felt like experimenting with resonance filters. (Which I don't often, really would be brilliant if these SVN Builds of DosBOX Daum and such could handle MMX properly like VM's do)

I also use ImpulseTracker at a massively basic level, using only commands and effects ST3 had, and using only sample control, never touching instruments.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

I still use Impulse Tracker. 😉

Do you have a good resource for samples? I have some ideas floating around for some BGM for my YT channel, but I'm struggling to get started without samples.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 12, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just rip samples from Skaven, Necros, Khyron, and Siren.

I do own no.1 instruments from MAZ-Sound Tools but he closed up shop so it's not available for purchase anymore... Wonder why he closed up shop though...

EDIT: I also use the GUS Classic sampleset and the Pro Patches Lite sample set too. And also Eric A. Welsh patches.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 9 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

Do you have a good resource for samples? I have some ideas floating around for some BGM for my YT channel, but I'm struggling to get started without samples.

Early on I just used to rip samples from any source I could get my hands on - game music (from Star Control II to Unreal), various musicians, and even a Roland drum module from which I recorded every single sound (heh). Of course there are professional sample CDs as well as free resources online, but you usually have to know what sort of samples you're looking for first (percussion, electronic, orchestral, whatever).
Alternatively, get one of those free soft-synths/samplers and make your own. 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 10 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

Do you have a good resource for samples?

Technically no.

Instead, I've sort of built up my own sample kit over the years, currently containing about 60 samples, picking and choosing new sounds carefully from numerous sources each time I need something I don't have, occasionally cleaning out sounds I never use.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 11 of 12, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

I still use Impulse Tracker. 😉

If you happen to have an iPad or an iPhone, this app comes with an amazing sample library.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 12 of 12, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quest Studios used to host the install disks for Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold, but it's closed down now and relaunched as something else now. I still have the files, though. Pretty darn good MIDI sequencer for DOS.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.