VOGONS

Common searches

Any of you on Windows 10?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

That is scary stuff if it was true. But i wonder if this is a Hoax?

I'd been linked that article a couple of days ago. It contains a lot of half-truths, conjecture, and not much evidence.

They don't disclose what build they're running, how they had the system configured when these "phone home" events took place, whether they're running a full version or a "free" Insider Program version, etc.

It's not a hoax, I don't think, but there is a load of mis-information and assumptions out there WRT to Windows 10, with only circumstantial evidence to corroborate it.

E.g. in that "localghost.org" article's Czech source, the author rightly says (to paraphrase) "What I suspect is X, but it would take some deeper reverse engineering to uncover the truth", which gets mangled by places like "localghost.org" into "Holy crap, WINDWOS 10 ABSOLUTELY ACTUALLY DOES X".

All I can tell you is that I've been running a copy that was upgraded from retail Windows 8.1 Pro, and I certainly don't have random 15~80MB uploads periodically during the day. I would see it on MRTG if that were the case.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 121 of 228, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because all of this, iam just think to close my hotmail.com account.. Iam really not wanting that microsoft is looking my personal stuff.. Iam really thinking to switching to a dutch e-mail account and saying bye bye to hotmail forever.. It cant through my troat if microsoft is saying to his customers, your hotmail.com data belongs to us..

Yesterday iam switching back to windows 8.1 pro again.. I think the best way is just waiting on the things that could happen.. Before that iam almost save on windows 8.1 and i will see when i want to go switching back..
All when the time would tell.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 122 of 228, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh the Corsair Link software, which I had a TON of headaches to get working on Windows 8, worked like a charm. That's good news.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 123 of 228, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I vehemently hated Windows 8 ... because of mainly it's non-practical UI on desktop, and other things, but Windows 10 is refreshingly new and holds on to Windows 7 and previous versions' desktop friendly operation. I admit I still don't like the flat looks, but generally it seems good and fast.

Unlike Windows 8, I was optimistic with Windows 10 even from the days of the announcements. I reserved my copy and recently upgraded to 10.

One of my concerns was with running Dosbox and MUNT. Happy to say both work flawlessly in the 10 Pro x64. I needed to reinstall MUNT after upgrading, but other than that, everything is smooth and fast.

Edit:

In fact, as a tribute to DOS gaming, the first game I played after upgrading to Windows 10, is running my good old King's Quest V in Dosbox with MUNT MT-32 Emulator.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 124 of 228, by Murf_Oscar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have just installed Windows 10. Used DOSBOX successfully on Windows 7 to run GW-Basic.

Under Windows 10 the first window to open, it has configuration details, is about 20% larger - like that.

But the DOS Command Window is down to about 30% of what it was.

Any tips for making the DOS Command Window the same size as the window with the configuration details?

Thanks, Murf

Reply 125 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Murf_Oscar wrote:

Any tips for making the DOS Command Window the same size as the window with the configuration details?

Open the Command Prompt, and bring up the Window menu (Alt+Space OR click the icon in the top left of the Command Prompt window), then click Properties, and go to the Font tab.

A way cool addition to the Windows 10 CMD window is that the buffer dynamically adjusts itself to the size of the window.

I.e. you can give yourself a wider working area without having to drill down into the properties box.

Reply 126 of 228, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:
awgamer wrote:
"When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to: .. Everything that is said into an enabled micr […]
Show full quote

"When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to: ..
Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to: ..
If this weren't bad enough, this behaviour still occurs after Cortana is fully disabled/uninstalled."
http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10

From the comments section on the same webpage:

"The source article isn't very trustworthy. The website is quite obviously an "alternative news" (read: "we post edgy bullshit to stroke our insane ideologies and to get lots of clicks") website, and an anonymous one on top of that.

A quick look through the website using Google Translate should be enough to alert more perceptive readers to this fact, considering the quality of their other articles. For more evidence, you can check their Czech Wikipedia page: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeronet.cz although again you'll have to use Google translate for this.

Since they seem to like pro-Russian propaganda, I suppose their motivation for posting this particular article is that Microsoft is an US company and everything from the US is evil.

I'm not saying there are no privacy or security issues with Windows 10 telemetry, but you should take this article with a grain of salt. Or perhaps more like a pound."

Reply 127 of 228, by Murf_Oscar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
Open the Command Prompt, and bring up the Window menu (Alt+Space OR click the icon in the top left of the Command Prompt window) […]
Show full quote
Murf_Oscar wrote:

Open the Command Prompt, and bring up the Window menu (Alt+Space OR click the icon in the top left of the Command Prompt window), then click Properties, and go to the Font tab.

A way cool addition to the Windows 10 CMD window is that the buffer dynamically adjusts itself to the size of the window.

I.e. you can give yourself a wider working area without having to drill down into the properties box.

Am enclosing a snip of the DOSBox windows.

The DOS Box Status window I was able to enlarge by changing the font size, ie Properties Accessed by clicking in top left corner.

The CMD window is unchanged. Clicking in the top left hand corner brings up a list without 'Properties' and "Size" deactivated.

Any other thoughts on the CMD resizing?

Attachments

• DOSBox Snip.JPG
    Filename
    DOSBox Snip.JPG
    File size
    93.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 128 of 228, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Yeah I was worried about a retail 7 licence being transmuted into a "lifetime of device" licence [which sounds like OEM arrangement].

For this year of the "free upgrade" you'll always be able to do a clean install on whatever system you like since 7 is retail, activate them and then install 10.
After this time and when "free upgrade" ends, I don't think it's clear what will happen, we don't have a Win10 key when upgrading so I'm not sure how (if?) one will be able to install them.

Personally I think it'll be too much if MS doesn't come up with an official solution (or just pretend they don't see stuff) after this year. They can't let down so many people who just upgraded when at some point they change their PC's.

Reply 129 of 228, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is an official solution.

Try to perform a clean install of the same version of 10 on the same PC. Click skip on the serial number page. When windows is installed and is online, it'll activate itself automatically! 😉

I've already done that in some PCs.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 131 of 228, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
I'd been linked that article a couple of days ago. It contains a lot of half-truths, conjecture, and not much evidence. […]
Show full quote
gerwin wrote:

I'd been linked that article a couple of days ago. It contains a lot of half-truths, conjecture, and not much evidence.

They don't disclose what build they're running, how they had the system configured when these "phone home" events took place, whether they're running a full version or a "free" Insider Program version, etc.

It's not a hoax, I don't think, but there is a load of mis-information and assumptions out there WRT to Windows 10, with only circumstantial evidence to corroborate it.

E.g. in that "localghost.org" article's Czech source, the author rightly says (to paraphrase) "What I suspect is X, but it would take some deeper reverse engineering to uncover the truth", which gets mangled by places like "localghost.org" into "Holy crap, WINDWOS 10 ABSOLUTELY ACTUALLY DOES X".

All I can tell you is that I've been running a copy that was upgraded from retail Windows 8.1 Pro, and I certainly don't have random 15~80MB uploads periodically during the day. I would see it on MRTG if that were the case.

It's not a single article.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology … g-to-microsoft/

Reply 132 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

That is a MASSIVE step back from what that other thing was claiming.

And they draw a far more sane and considered conclusion:

"No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer's chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device." This is consistent with what we saw (there is no query or search data transmitted), but also likely to run counter to most people's expectations; if Web searching and Cortana are disabled, we suspect that the inference that most people would make is that searching the Start menu wouldn't hit the Internet at all. But it does. The traffic could be innocuous, but the inclusion of a machine ID gives it a suspicious appearance."

Reply 133 of 228, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GeorgeMan wrote:

There is an official solution.

Try to perform a clean install of the same version of 10 on the same PC. Click skip on the serial number page. When windows is installed and is online, it'll activate itself automatically! 😉

I've already done that in some PCs.

There is a lot of confusion and wrong information spreading these days, it's not made clear at all from the beginning by MS. Probably because they don't know for sure yet how they're going to handle the following scenario:

Try changing a m/b on one of your PC's and tell me again how "Activated" you are 😀

This is what the post I replied to meant by "pc lifetime". As long as you have a previous version activated on a PC, you can do a clean install and activation will indeed be automatic, without a serial, on the same PC. If you change a core component (or many others), windows will ask for activation again. For now it's kind of OK, you can always install a previous version, activate and install 10 again using the free upgrade. But a year later? No free upgrade and that's exactly the problematic situation we'll all run into...

Reply 134 of 228, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ so why not keep the win10 product key and use it when doing clean installs? there are utils that can reveal it to you, I used this method in my testing: win7 upgraded -> get product key -> completely erase HDD -> do a win10 clean install using the product key. It worked for me.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 135 of 228, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

^ so why not keep the win10 product key and use it when doing clean installs? there are utils that can reveal it to you, I used this method in my testing: win7 upgraded -> get product key -> completely erase HDD -> do a win10 clean install using the product key. It worked for me.

...aaaand that's the second most common thing people believe 😀 Thanks for bringing it up so we can clarify this also.

Sure, you can easily retrieve the key from the 10's installation, in fact I can tell you yours right now! Everyone has one of the, if I remember correctly, 6-7 keys. No, really, every windows key that people get after the upgrade is one of those. Who else has a key ending in 3V66T?

This key will pass the installation part as valid, but not the activation! The only reason it worked for you is because you did a clean installation on the same PC, already activated once. In this case Win10 get automatically activated even if you don't provide any key at all! If you try this key you've got in any other PC not ever activated with Win10 (probably a VM will suffice) or you change a core component of yours such as the motherboard and try a clean install, well, no luck. You see what's the big issue here? That people don't even know about it!

Reply 138 of 228, by Murf_Oscar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
Murf_Oscar wrote:

Any other thoughts on the CMD resizing?

Ah OK, the way your post was worded I thought you were talking about the command prompt, not DOSBox.

Can someone please confirm that the Command Window that comes up using DOSBox is a window that it creates, ie DOSBox does not call the DOS Command prompt you could bring up through All Files/Accessories in Windows 7.

Suspect that this might be the case because the icon in each window is different. The DOSBox Command Window has the DOSBox icon and the DOS Command Window the same icon as in Windows 7.

Also, call the DOS Command Window and you can resize it whereas the DOSBox window can not.

Seems that this is one for the DOSBox developers. So next question is "How do I bring it to their attention"?

Reply 139 of 228, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox uses conhost.exe on Windows 7+.

And the console in DOSBox appears to work the same as telnet, nslookup and cmd.exe for me. The icon in the top left is the icon embedded in the executable.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline