VOGONS

Common searches

Any of you on Windows 10?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 140 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

DOSBox uses conhost.exe on Windows 7+.

And the console in DOSBox appears to work the same as telnet, nslookup and cmd.exe for me. The icon in the top left is the icon embedded in the executable.

As per his screenshot, I think he's talking about the actual DOSBox graphics window, albeit while using text-mode applications.

And you obviously need to enable a scaler in dosbox.conf to make that larger.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 141 of 228, by Murf_Oscar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

[quote="....and you obviously need to enable a scaler in dosbox.conf to make that larger.

Problem solved as per attached snip. In config file windowresolution=1024x768 (from =original), output=overlay (from =surface) were the only necessary changes. For enhancement scaler=hq3x (from =normal2x) gave marginal improvement. Now appreciate that config file changes affect only the application DOSBox is simulating, which in my case will always be GWBASIC. Think this is so because there has been no change to the Status window.

Thanks for your help SquallStrife and DosFreak, much appreciated.

Attachments

• DOSBox Snip2.JPG
    Filename
    DOSBox Snip2.JPG
    File size
    57.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 142 of 228, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:
There is a lot of confusion and wrong information spreading these days, it's not made clear at all from the beginning by MS. Pro […]
Show full quote
GeorgeMan wrote:

There is an official solution.

Try to perform a clean install of the same version of 10 on the same PC. Click skip on the serial number page. When windows is installed and is online, it'll activate itself automatically! 😉

I've already done that in some PCs.

There is a lot of confusion and wrong information spreading these days, it's not made clear at all from the beginning by MS. Probably because they don't know for sure yet how they're going to handle the following scenario:

Try changing a m/b on one of your PC's and tell me again how "Activated" you are 😀

This is what the post I replied to meant by "pc lifetime". As long as you have a previous version activated on a PC, you can do a clean install and activation will indeed be automatic, without a serial, on the same PC. If you change a core component (or many others), windows will ask for activation again. For now it's kind of OK, you can always install a previous version, activate and install 10 again using the free upgrade. But a year later? No free upgrade and that's exactly the problematic situation we'll all run into...

No worries, with the "assumed" data collected by MS from our everyday lives, they will be able to recognize us at the phone by our voice already...😁 Who needs activation codes anymore?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 143 of 228, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Creative at least has a roadmap with release times.

Can u give me a link to this roadmap,i want to see when my x-fi extreme music will get windows 10 drivers.
I tried with 8.1 drivers,but from time to time the sound just goes away,need to restart pc to get it to work again.

Reply 144 of 228, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

There is a lot of confusion and wrong information spreading these days, it's not made clear at all from the beginning by MS. Probably because they don't know for sure yet how they're going to handle the following scenario:

Try changing a m/b on one of your PC's and tell me again how "Activated" you are 😀

You are not. If your S/N was not tied with your hardware (eg was not an OEM license), all you need is a call to Microsoft. As you did in the XP era after many activations etc etc...
A retail key remains a retail key. The only thing that changes, is that one month after the upgrade, it becomes a retail key for a newer version of Windows.

keropi wrote:

^ so why not keep the win10 product key and use it when doing clean installs? there are utils that can reveal it to you, I used this method in my testing: win7 upgraded -> get product key -> completely erase HDD -> do a win10 clean install using the product key. It worked for me.

As someone else already said, all windows 10 upgrade installs get activated by a very small range of keys, but what counts in this case is the hardware id, which is unique in each PC.
I've already tried a clean install on a different HDD, and it activated just fine. 😀

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 145 of 228, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GeorgeMan wrote:

You are not. If your S/N was not tied with your hardware (eg was not an OEM license), all you need is a call to Microsoft. As you did in the XP era after many activations etc etc...
A retail key remains a retail key. The only thing that changes, is that one month after the upgrade, it becomes a retail key for a newer version of Windows.

I completely disagree with that, there is no indication anywhere that this happens. Please fell free to provide some backup info, I'd really like to be proven wrong in this case provided that some reference exists from an official source. From what I know is official, in a year from now your current 7/8 key still won't be working as a 10 key and you won't qualify for the free upgrade anymore if re-activation is needed for whatever reason.

Reply 146 of 228, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
That is a MASSIVE step back from what that other thing was claiming. […]
Show full quote
awgamer wrote:

That is a MASSIVE step back from what that other thing was claiming.

And they draw a far more sane and considered conclusion:

"No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer's chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device." This is consistent with what we saw (there is no query or search data transmitted), but also likely to run counter to most people's expectations; if Web searching and Cortana are disabled, we suspect that the inference that most people would make is that searching the Start menu wouldn't hit the Internet at all. But it does. The traffic could be innocuous, but the inclusion of a machine ID gives it a suspicious appearance."

"Windows 10 performs a collection of texts entered on the keyboard. The texts are stored in temporary files and 1x 30 minutes shall be sent to the following sites:"

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en& … cich-a-hlasu%2F

http://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

Reply 147 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

"Windows 10 performs a collection of texts entered on the keyboard. The texts are stored in temporary files and 1x 30 minutes shall be sent to the following sites:"

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en& … cich-a-hlasu%2F

As has already been mentioned WRT this particular article, so far no evidence has been offered to back these audacious claims up.

They say "Hey, trust us, we used Resource Monitor to check this!!" So where are the screencaps? Where are the raw dumps? Curiously absent.

If it's so matter-of-fact that "the texts are stored temporarily in files", what are the paths? Which process writes them? Trivial pieces of information to include, since they've gone to the effort to list the servers contacted.

And let's ignore that "Resource Monitor" doesn't do that anyway, perhaps they meant Process Monitor? Pretty amateur mistake for a tech blog.

Not to say that 100% of the article's contents are false, but it screams "Anti-MS bandwagon! Take us seriously!!" to me.

I'll continue to do my own monitoring, and wait to see if these specific claims are corroborated by any additional sources.

awgamer wrote:

Oh yeah, GNU, because they're well-known for pragmatism and objectivity.

Reply 149 of 228, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

You seem to be big on appeal to authority rather than evidence. If they said 2+2=4 you'd disregard it.

Apply some common sense already - text files?? Say what you will about Microsoft, they are in the very least competent programmers. If they wanted to get away with something, they wouldn't be doing it via text files.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 150 of 228, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awgamer wrote:

You seem to be big on appeal to authority rather than evidence. If they said 2+2=4 you'd disregard it.

Nice attempt to deflect.

Did you read all of what I said? Or are you just grumpy because I (and others) won't accept your single source on face value?

I repeat: they presented no evidence of how/where these "temporary text files" are created or stored, they simply make an assertion that they are, and explain it away by stating they captured it with an application that doesn't capture anything.

There is no "appeal to authority", I'm simply not prepared to accept a prima facie assertion by a lone source offering no evidence. Nor should you be prepared to do to.

Let me say the word again. Evidence. The Czech site has offered NO EVIDENCE. I couldn't care less who wrote it.

Reply 151 of 228, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

I completely disagree with that, there is no indication anywhere that this happens. Please fell free to provide some backup info, I'd really like to be proven wrong in this case provided that some reference exists from an official source. From what I know is official, in a year from now your current 7/8 key still won't be working as a 10 key and you won't qualify for the free upgrade anymore if re-activation is needed for whatever reason.

Uhm, it does say that within one month you can revert back to your previous Windows version. 😀

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 152 of 228, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ I have a friend who has upgraded over 20 machines to Windows 10 already and tested the rollback on an old Core2 laptop just to try it out and reported ZERO issues. His exact words: "It was like I never did anything to it"

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 153 of 228, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (I hated Windows 8, as SquallStrife knew it 🤣), it's like I did nothing to the system...

everything continue to work as they should.... i didn't even need to install new drivers and such... (Just needed to re-install MUNT - MT-32 Emulator after upgrading).

Everything else continued normally, as though nothing had been done to the system, after the most convenient, easiest and trouble-free Windows upgrade I have ever done.

It feels faster than Win7 too... I miss the Windows 7's Glass look, but I guess there will be 3rd party skins available, but basically, I'm not affected by the flat UI and the plain white title box, that much now.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 154 of 228, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Given that the hype for 10 ranges somewhere between "Utter Miracle" and "Second Coming of Christ", I must say that I was very disappointed when I freshly installed it on a spare hard drive.

Back in November, the Windows Technical Preview was awesome! It was basically Windows 8.1, just with a full-fledged start menu (one that allowed people to mix and match Windows 8 and 7 features as they wished, rather than basically taking the start screen and making it just take up a corner), and the ability to run "apps" in a window. There were no big privacy concerns (besides the keylogger, which I assumed would just be used for testing), and I thought that the OS showed promise as it was.

The release version is, quite frankly, a major let-down. They ruined the good start menu that they had going by basically making it a miniature start screen rather than allowing user choice, push "Cortana", which combines all of the uselessness of a digital assistant with the godawful search capabilities of Bing, force updates in spite of their history of pushing OS-breaking updates in the past, and generally act like this is a real upgrade over 7 or even 8.

The test system I installed 10 on was no slouch: it rocks some reasonably fast spinning rust, 8GB of RAM, an i7 860, and a GT640. Compared to a fresh install of 7 on the exact same setup, 10 is SLOW. This is because it spends all of its time grinding away, installing the already massive number of updates rather than waiting for the system to start idling or shut down.

In short, I'm likely never going to install 10 on one of my systems. My migration plan is to wait for 8.1 to die off and then move entirely to Mint, some sort of BSD, or even Haiku.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 155 of 228, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm Happy on LinuxMint to be honest. LinuxMint and Wine for the old games works for me completely. There's nothing in DX12 that interests me and there's definitely nothing wrong with thinking going Linux more will make publishers change their ways instead of looking at a walled garden forever

Reply 158 of 228, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you'll find the more widely used standard that is better for everyone is OpenGL as it's even supported on windows. DirectX is limited to one company. No good for anyone.
Besides the way windows is going now I dont think it's going to be better for gamers in the long run either

Reply 159 of 228, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bladeforce wrote:

Besides the way windows is going now I dont think it's going to be better for gamers in the long run either

But it might be better for developers since Windows 10 universal apps can run on any Windows device (PC, phone, XBone, even on Rasberry Pi 2 running Windows IoT Core). Makes it really easy to port your app/game to different devices because you don't have to port, it just works.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42