VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you need a good 2000s "retro" computer:

http://computers.woot.com/offers/dell-optiple … ?ref=cnt_wp_1_1

BAM. Hands down THE BEST pre-built OEM computer of this vintage you can get your hands on. I almost never advocate buying proprietary systems, but one of these can be very useful. Let's run it down:

LGA775 CPU socket means you can pick a processor from Pentium 4 all the way up to a 1066Mhz bus Core 2 Quad.

4 DIMM slots for DDR2 RAM, which you probably have sitting around anyway. 2 GB for an early XP system, 4 GB for a late XP system, or even 8 GB for a modern system (mine had 8 for use as a W10 box, back to 4 for XP)

PCIe slot for a cheap New Old-Stock graphics card of your choice. Get a late-cycle card that has low power requirements for the type.

CD-ROM and 3.5" Floppy standard, but you can throw in a DVD-ROM drive without much effort.

All the drivers you'll ever need for Windows XP or 7 are still available on Dell's website.

Woot's $5 shipping deal means you can get this behemoth shipped straight to you. Try doing that with a tower on eBay.

The only downsides are that the tower is pretty hefty by modern standards. Only as tall as a standard Mid-tower, but a bit wide. However it's mostly toolless, very easy to take down, and has GREAT cooling thanks to Dell's interpretation of the BTX form factor. Also I don't believe the board has IDE support at all. No big deal.

Reply 1 of 5, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I actually helped one of my friends rebuild this very same Dell OptiPlex model back in early 2011. I was for his parents who live in San Francisco.

This one was pretty much bare though - only had the case, motherboard, PSU and case fans. Got the same Intel E6300 Dual Core CPU, a decent Thermaltake cooler, 2gb OCZ Platinum DDR2 1066 ram, WD 160gb SATA 2 hard drive, Lite-On SATA DVD-ROM, PNY GeForce GT 440 1gb PCIe video card. For the OS we installed Windows 7 Premium 32bit. Everything worked well for the most part - I did try 4gb of OCZ ram but Windows 7 kept crashing at random (one of the DDR2 sticks was probably bad), so it stayed with 2gb. Last I heard my fiend's parents still have the OptiPlex 745 and use it daily.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 5, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want a good "daily driver" the newer SFF machines are a great bet too. I'll admit I'm a bit in love with Dell's machines from the last few years. At least the enterprise/office stuff is really good, since they got away from proprietary PSU pinouts and those godawful "transformer" cases with the bulgy sides.

If performance per dollar is the most important thing, you can hardly do better than a $30-40 Core2Quad. Most people would never notice the performance difference between that and an i5.

Reply 3 of 5, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently picked up a SFF Optiplex 790 in great used condition for $100. Came with a Core i5 2400, Win 7 Pro, 4GB RAM, and a 250GB SATA drive. Had a Radeon X600 that I switched out with a Radeon HD 7570, and now it's a nitfy little machine. About the size of two laptops stacked on top of each other.